Kenny Garrett

RDK

Was surprised to find no thread for Kenny Garrett - and little mention of him at all outside of BFTs. What, you guys confusing him with the other Kenny G? :lol:

I've been listening to Trio-logy the last couple of days (new to me), but I also have and really enjoy his Coltrane album and Simply Said.

One of my favorite of the "young lions" - who aren't so young anymore.

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

What no replies yet?

I quite like Garrett! First got to hear him on some late Miles, later picked up some of his discs (I think I have 5 or 6 so far). The trio disc is very fine, and the Coltrane disc is its equal. I like Garrett's bitter-sweet sound on alto and the power and - I guess - loudness of his sound. His latest, "Standard of Language" I saved from some bin, recently, but haven't listened to it yet.

ubu

Saw him live at the Pizza Express in London some years ago (I think it was the 'Simply Said' album tour). I was most impressed when he came right to the back of the room near the table I was seated at and asked how I found the sound back there. Extremely courteous ! :tup He also started conversing in very good Japanese with a couple of tourists who were seated at the table next to me.

Respect !

A particular favourite by the way is his extremely pungent work on the two Woody Shaw/Freddie Hubbard Blue Notes. A very good foil for these guys.

Oh, it has been so long since I listened to that set that I have totally forgotten Garrett is there, too! Will spin it again soon! Thanks for mentioning it!

I really like Pursuance, Triology, and Songbook! All three are wonderful recordings. "Sing a Song of Song" on Songbook never fails to impress me.

I like Standard of Language quite a bit better than it's sister recording, Happy People, though the Bobby Hutcherson tracks are nice on that one.

I also think both Black Hope and African Exchange Student, which are earlier recordings, are worth checking out.

I agree with you Mark, I'd like to see Kenny release a live recording as well! Though he can be heard live on "A Dreyfus Night in Paris", with Marcus Miller, Michel Petrucciani, Bireli Lagrene, and Lenny White. And he's also on Miles' "Live Around the World, I think - don't have that one.

-Erik

One of my favorite modern saxophonists. I really like Triology, Persuance, Songbook, and Standard of Language.

As good as these albums are, they don't compare to his live shows, which I've always found to be very intense and moving....even religious at certain moments.

Check his appearence on Jeff "Tain" Watts' new one "Detained at the Blue Note".

As good as these albums are, they don't compare to his live shows, which I've always found to be very intense and moving....even religious at certain moments.

I've heard Garrett play live at least twice, maybe three times if I remember right. And I've always been blown away, close to 100%.

Less so on records, but always a lot there to like too -- even if not in as much abundance as on the live dates I've been to and heard.

I've had and heard a number of Garrett CD's over the years, and I've always liked 'em. Just didn't love 'em enough to want to get the man's entire catalog, if you know what I mean.

Edited by Rooster_Ties

My wife and I are a big fan of Kenny Garrett and his music. I have seen him several times by now - three times since last summer. As everyone said already, his live is so intense and energetic.

Yes, he is fluent in Japanese. Whenever we meet, we always talk in Japanese. He even acknowedged us from the stage last month (in Japanese). He told me that he would go into a recording studio for Nonesuch release soon. If my memory serves, he will be recording his new composition "Tsunami", which sounded great in live.

I like Triology. An alto player gave me a promo copy of it once in exchange for Wayne Shorter Adam's Apple. I played that album for him a few nights before we exchanged discs, along with some Archie Shepp impulse! and he responded, "So you like those underdogs huh?" We never traded back, so I was glad to see Adam's Apple RVG'd last year.

Triology is a good disc.

I saw Kenny Garrett in Greensboro a few years back with ADR. The set was very mixed. It went from extremely free, to extremely smooth. He shifted gears way too quickly and stayed in smooth for way too long.

I used to have Persuance, but I think I traded it so someone here a couple years ago. I'd actually like to hear it again if I ever came across it.

Is Kenny still into that smooth R&B thing? Was it Happy People?

Edited by .:.impossible

When Kenny let's out all the stops...Who-wee! Every time I have seen him live he has been electric.

Love the album STANDARD OF LANGUAGE. HAPPY PEOPLE is not as strong but there are a couple of cuts on there that smoke!

Count me in as a big KG fan. Miles anointed him. ;)

I saw him perform with Roy Haynes' BIRDS OF A FEATHER band in Fort Lauderdale a couple of years ago and thought he was terrific although the audience seemed to be more partial towards the other horn on the front line, Nicholas Payton. Highlight of the evening was a duet between KG and Haynes on "Star Eyes".

I also very much like TRIOLOGY and PURSUANCE, both of btw have very excellent and different versions of "Giant Steps".

A year or so ago I picked up a CD, can't recall the title, but it was too much "smooth" for my tastes. Hope he never does that again.

I saw him perform with Roy Haynes' BIRDS OF A FEATHER band in Fort Lauderdale a couple of years ago and thought he was terrific although the audience seemed to be more partial towards the other horn on the front line, Nicholas Payton. Highlight of the evening was a duet between KG and Haynes on "Star Eyes".

I really want to see the Birds of a Feather, but haven't had a chance yet.... It looks like the band is still playing occasionally. I hope to see the band soon.

The tunes on "Songbook" are great! With "Triology" and "Pursuance", his best for sure, and my longtime favorite. I also have a live bootleg (I guess?) from some JazzBaltica festival gig. They play a version of "Brother B. Harper" that made me nearly lose my mind. :blink: