Top Posters In This Topic

I'd highly recommend:

e244783m0s5.jpg

and

e24369zhvt1.jpg

Both from c.1990. There was a discussion of the first here:

http://www.organissimo.org/forum/index.php...topic=10028&hl=

NowAndNowAgain.gif

Kenny Wheeler takes up nearly half a shelf of my wall unit; I'd say that if you like anything at all by him you're likely to find something of interest on any of his discs.

He's currently releasing discs like there's no tomorrow!

Edited by Bev Stapleton

I would strongly recommend 'Song For Someone' (psi). A large group recording from the mid-1970s with stellar British big band lineup (all the usual suspects - Taylor, Winstone, Alan Branscombe etc) plus Tony Oxley, Evan Parker and Derek Bailey. Originally recorded for Incus Records and an incredible amalgam of traditional big band and Euro free-jazz forms. Hugely under-rated and near-unknown album, rare on vinyl and buried for circa 30 years before the CD came out.

songfor.jpg

My favourite Wheeler is probably the infamous and rare 'Windmill Tilter' (Fontana). Almost a prototype run for 'Music For Large and Small..'. I hope that it comes out on CD format in the not too distant future..

It has never been issued on CD and there are rumours that the master tapes might have been lost. In a recent interview, I think Kenny Wheeler himself mentioned that he didn't have a copy and that he wasn't sure that the masters would ever be found. A shame - its a very fine recording which needs to be heard. Basically Wheeler fronting the John Dankworth Orchestra of the late 60s with a young John McLaughlin (pre-Miles).

Very much a legendary session in the annals of British Jazz..

Well, I might as well say Deer Wan, since most other ECMs have been suggested (I know he's recorded for other labels). No seriously though, I like Kenny best when he's with John Abercromie, or at leaast a 'crunchy' player capable of injecting some vim into proceedings.

This is not to say that I think Wheeler's playing is ineffectual, but a good foil for his beautiful, and often plangent tone is needed IMO.

Just come across a review of his latest album "What Now?", which is a great review I am about to order this album, anyone heard this and what are your thoughts?

Che.

Some of Kenny's most beautiful playing lies on the Azimuth discs:

E1546g.jpg

(the first three discs...start here!)

E1298g.jpg

E1538g.jpg

Be warned - this is very much chamber jazz. Piano, trumpet/flugel, voice with occasional synths and one guest appearance by Ralph Towner.

I love this trio. But 'swing' is a minor consideration in their concept. Though if you're looking for KW I suspect the 'swing' imperative is not central.

Edited by Bev Stapleton

I've not heard "What Now?" but be warned - Kenny's playing is not what it once was. He's still got the ideas and intelligence but the execution can be a little wayward. As a starting point I'd go back five years and before.

I enjoy the recent stuff, in the same way you can come to love a gnarled bluesman or folk singer whose spirit still shines despite the loss of technique.

But I suspect to a new listener it might be puzzling.

I've not heard "What Now?" but be warned - Kenny's playing is not what it once was. He's still got the ideas and intelligence but the execution can be a little wayward. As a starting point I'd go back five years and before.

I enjoy the recent stuff, in the same way you can come to love a gnarled bluesman or folk singer whose spirit still shines despite the loss of technique.

But I suspect to a new listener it might be puzzling.

Thanks Bev .

Jazzwise gave this album a great review amd suggested that it was one of his best for a while.

I will let you know what I think.

Che.

I'd also back sidewinder's recommendation of 'Song for Someone' - a great one from very early in his career.

As a complete contrast try this...he's only on it occasionally but you get to hear him in a totally free context, a place he has operated in consistently since the sixties, despite the lyrical nature of most of his music:

psi0405.jpeg

Freezone Appleby, 2003

Details here:

http://www.emanemdisc.com/psi04.html

Edited by Bev Stapleton

As a starting point I'd go back five years and before.

This happens to be recorded five years ago. I don't own it myself, but I've heard it once and it was a very fine set. Hersch in particular shines, but so does Wheeler.

VL4in.jpg

Hey, you can hear ME on that one! I was at the concert in a very odd (and cold) Oxford church with Byzantine murals on the walls!

Thank you all for your recommendations.

Eventually I ordered this short list:

• Gnu High

• Kenny Wheeler & Sonny Greenwich Quintet: Live at the Montreal Bistro

• Music for Large and Small Ensembles

• Angel Song

Edited by B. Goren.

Guest akanalog

anyone hear an album called just kenny wheeler quintet 1976? looks interesting but i dont know any of the players besides marty morrell. must be canadians. anyone know about this one?