Kenny Wheeler

B. Goren.

CHARCOAL SKETCHES/STATES OF MIND

Basil Kirchin

CHARCOAL SKETCHES

PERSONNEL Basil Kirchin Piano (3), Kenny Wheeler Flugelhorn (1,2), Frank Horrocks Piano (1,2), Graham Lyons Bassoon (1), Darryl Runswick Bass (1,2,3), Alan Parker Guitar ((1,2,3), Clem Cattini Drums (1,2,3), Peter Hughes Flute (2,3), Graham Lyons / Peter Hughes Saxes, Alan Branscombe Sax and Vibes. Birdsong recorded by Basil in the forest above Barden, Switzerland, on a Nagra.

STATES OF MIND

PERSONNEL Evan Parker Soprano Sax, Kenny Wheeler Flugelhorn, Chris Karan Drums, Peter McGurk Bass, Harry Stoneham Organ.

Anyone know anything about these? Now op unfortunately but there was an interesting bit in the Guardian on Friday

http://www.guardian.co.uk/arts/fridayrevie...1518048,00.html

http://www.trunkrecords.com/turntable/charcoal.shtml

• Replies 89
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

And someone mentioned Art Ellefson a few messages back.

He's also on the wonderful 'Cleopatra's Needle' by Ronnie Ross (Fontana), rare late 60s session way overdue for CD issue.

Hey wait, that one is on CD, isn't it? :P

Great one, and indeed Ellefson is good on it!

CHARCOAL SKETCHES/STATES OF MIND

Basil Kirchin

CHARCOAL SKETCHES

PERSONNEL Basil Kirchin Piano (3), Kenny Wheeler Flugelhorn (1,2), Frank Horrocks Piano (1,2), Graham Lyons Bassoon (1), Darryl Runswick Bass (1,2,3), Alan Parker Guitar ((1,2,3), Clem Cattini Drums (1,2,3), Peter Hughes Flute (2,3), Graham Lyons / Peter Hughes Saxes, Alan Branscombe Sax and Vibes. Birdsong recorded by Basil in the forest above Barden, Switzerland, on a Nagra.

http://www.trunkrecords.com/turntable/charcoal.shtml

I saw a copy of the Charcoal Sketches in NYC (it was the bit about the 'Industrial North' that caught my attention). It might have been at the Downtown Music Gallery. Never heard anything by Basil Kirchin but this has got me curious. That's very sad that he passed away just last week. :(

Another (sideman - not leader) recommendation for Alan Skidmore's 'Once Upon A Time' in the recent Dutton Vocalion reissue batch, mentioned in an earlier post in this thread. Superb - one of the strongest of the series IMO. Very fine performance by Kenny Wheeler on this session, with that prime pairing/empathy with John Taylor demonstrated at an early stage. This one is way better than I expected. Occupying that great middle ground between modal/hard bop and free. They just don't make LPs like this anymore ! :tup

skidmo_alan_onceupona_101b.jpg

Edited by sidewinder

I can’t help mentioning that KW's solo on Who Are You (Azimuth '85) is short but sublime. For me, it is the all-time best of his solos. Perfect.

Yes, that is an astonishingly beautiful solo. That track (with equally good Norma Winstone vocal) is easily the best thing on the album.

Is that the one recorded by CBC Radio?  Never heard it though...

zis little puppy?

216975-music-resized200.JPG

Guess what zis king picked out of ze bin earlier today? :D

Passed it by a few times, already, but today I remembered the discussion about Ellefson and the Canucks, so I thought I'd take a closer look, and quickly I realized zat our very own Mr. Ted'O has written dem liner notes!

Zere's a couple more of it at ze store, but I don't know when I could go and search through them bins again... (cost CHF 10.-)

• 1 month later...
  • 3 months later...

A friend has supplied me with a copy of the Wheeler album Windmill Tilter. It's a wonderful record - the arrangements are just beautiful! Not all of the soloist are up to Wheeler's playing, but this one absolutely deserves CD reissue. If the rumours about the lost master tapes are true, it's a great, great shame.

Anyone know what the LP usually sells for?

Edited by Daniel A

I've ordered Abstractions Of The Industrial North so will report back.

Back to Kenny...

Any thoughts about the Kirchin? I notice that the LP version has sold out (damn - I should have sprung for it).

I've not really warmed to this that much. Its instrumental mood music very much of the period. Fine playing I'm sure and the timelocked nature of it is fine (I love The Avengers/Prisoner and stuff like that) just haven't really felt like playing it that much. The other sessions they've released may be more interesting.

Have a cdr of Windmill Tilter and interestingly I think that it is the germination of most of Kenny's writing: it seems to all start from there...

Last I heard, I'm afraid that the story was that Universal had lost the master tapes of the 'Windmill Tilter' session.

It is a fantastic LP and definitely worthy of reissue. A very worthy Johnny Dankworth 'aggregation' play the arrangements with standout solos by Mr Wheeler and also a very young John McLaughlin. Also something of an early 'trial run' in ways for the ideas developed on the ECM 'Music For Large and Small Ensembles'. Some of the same guys (Ian Hamer, for example) also feature on both sessions - Wheeler is very loyal to his sidemen.

Anyone know what the LP usually sells for?

£200 is about the going rate for a good copy. Pretty rare in this shape.

• 3 years later...

So far I am familiar only with his recordings as a sideman. I like his playing and his sound. Any recommendations as a leader? What about his ECM recordings?

His music for large ensemble (something like that) on ECM is terrific. It is a double CD release that features some of his most haunting music. The musicians are almost all English with some exceptions.

Also check out (ECM as well) Gnu High.

The musicians are almost all English with some exceptions.

Yep. A very unusual ECM in that it was recorded here in the UK at the old CTS studios in Wembley (where lots of the 60s stuff was recorded - not sure if it still exists though). The band did a UK tour at the time of this recording. A similar lineup with many of the same musicians (plus Lee Konitz and with Peter Erskine and Dave Holland) toured nationally for Kenny's 70th too - memorable !

Edited by sidewinder