Kenny Wheeler

B. Goren.

A fair few new releases have come out on Camjazz since this thread was last added to. Kenny is not as agile or precise as he once was (he is in his late 70s!), but the music remains as lyrical as ever. And he's still doing the free stuff - I saw him a few years back at Evan Parker's Appleby sessions.

This one from last year with string quartet islovely:

70726f647563742f323866313562373361372e6a70670032353000.png

• Replies 89
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Yes - seen Kenny sit in with Evan a couple of times recently at the Vortex - both times with the fantastic 'Foxes Fox' band, with Louis Moholo-Moholo, Steve Beresford, and John Edwards. I think at least one of these was recorded...

Mentioning Louis - please everyone check out his 'Spirits Rejoice' (featuring Evan, Tippet, Dyani, et al.) - Kenny is totally mesmerising on the final track, the hymn 'Amexesha Osizi'. A really special performance IMHO.

Also - I know the thread is about his leader stuff - but another plug, just 'because', for his unbelievable stuff with Braxton in the 70s.

Mentioning Louis - please everyone check out his 'Spirits Rejoice' (featuring Evan, Tippet, Dyani, et al.) - Kenny is totally mesmerising on the final track, the hymn 'Amexesha Osizi'. A really special performance IMHO.

Indeed! Treasured vinyl for many years - now in a nice CD reissue with a second album from a later Moholo band.

• 4 years later...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YTF77CFWF5s&feature=player_embedded#at=14

learn how Kenny taught Evan Parker to read music

Lovely....many thanks for posting that.

Good to see him playing at the recording of "The Long Waiting". That's a terrific album.

I must pop into the Royal Academy of Music to see the exhibition when I'm next in London.

Never knew this but after watching classic UK 70s tv show Mr Benn with some friends children I noticed in the credits that Kenny played in the soundtrack. No appreciable solos though...

Music by: Don Warren

Musicians: Ken Baldock, Harry Stoneham, Art Morgan, Peter Hughes, Kenny Wheeler, Terry Emery, Ray Swinfield

Don Warren being aka Duncan Lamont

Edited by fent99

Never knew this but after watching classic UK 70s tv show Mr Benn with some friends children I noticed in the credits that Kenny played in the soundtrack. No appreciable solos though...

Musicians: Ken Baldock, Harry Stoneham, Art Morgan, Peter Hughes, Kenny Wheeler, Terry Emery, Ray Swinfield

Yes - the 'Mr Benn' complete series DVD is a great British Jazz 'sleeper' session :lol: . Been a fan of that stuff since childhood. Ray Swinfield's flute is heavily featured.

No doubt Mr Benn was a big influence on the film 'Eyes Wide Shut' and that dubious theatrical wear shop. Kubrick must have been a fan..

Edited by sidewinder

Yes - the 'Mr Benn' complete series DVD is a great British Jazz 'sleeper' session :lol: . Been a fan of that stuff since childhood. Ray Swinfield's flute is heavily featured.

No doubt Mr Benn was a big influence on the film 'Eyes Wide Shut' and that dubious theatrical wear shop. Kubrick must have been a fan..

I loved it as a kid too. Funny to think of what you heard when young that might have influenced what you like later. Interesting too that I saw Duncan Lamont with Kenny on his 70th (or 75th) birthday tour and had never heard of him and had heard him and Kenny all those years before. Kind of thing Johnny Trunk should issue?

Duncan Lamont is still playing beautifully ! He was in the big band for both the 75th and 80th birthday tours. That Mr Benn show was easily the best thing on the 70s BBC kids lunchtime slot. Reminds me of lazy Summer hols with new school year about 10 weeks away. :tup:D

Sounds like a 'shoe-in' for the Trunk label..

Edited by sidewinder

Angel Song is amazing. wub.gif

Agreed. I came here to add that one to the long list. John Tchicai recommended it to me back when it first came out.

I enjoy What Now? and Where Do We Go From Here? with John Taylor though I don't play them nearly as much as many other of Wheeler's albums and I'm a huge fan of John Taylor too. I suppose it comes down to rarely being in the mood for a piano/trumpet duo album and not the artists or the songs.

Those Azimuth albums don't do much for me and I've tried to like them.

I like the Azimuth albums though they are 'of their time' and have an 'easy listening (BBC) Radio 2, new ageyness' to them which means you really have to be in the mood. Very ECM and the one with Towner which is maybe the best, has this the most.