Count Basie On Columbia

dug

• 3 weeks later...

I recently got an advance box of this material. "Count Basie, America's #1 Band, The Columbia Years" It was produced by Orrin Keepnews. It includes 89 cuts starting with Shoe Shine Boy from 1936 and goes up to 1951. The sessions include:

Jones-Smith, Inc

Basie's Bad Boys

Kansas City Seven

Basie and His All-American Rhythm Section

Count Basie Octet

Count Basie and his Orchestra (38 cuts)

Also 22 previously unissued live recordings from The Famous Door, TheSavoy Ballroom, The Meadowbrook Lounge and Cafe Society Uptown. This disc includes a 1937 cameo appearance by Billie holiday with the band.

This promo does not have any other liner notes or any artwork so I can't give you any more details. You'll just have to wait but it sounds great. i hope this helps

Always Know,

Steve Schwartz

Jazz from Studio 4

WGBH, 89.7 FM Boston

Friday 7p-12a

www.wgbh.org

Speaking of historic importance, every note that CB Old Testament recorded are worth reissuing, but it is my opinion only.

I will never be able to differ Basie's importance from those of Duke Ellington's - two of them are equal.

But, I think, things are not grown enough. Later, maybe, we will have oll this stuff, to enjoy, listen and think about.