upcoming jazz crusaders set?

okay so I, like all of you I read the Mosaic email about the upcoming releases and noted the Jazz Crusaders set...

I'm not that familar with their stuff so I did a little research. I got the gist of their "conversion" in the 70's and 80's (and up to today)... And I do actually remember "Street Life" but... that's not what this Mosaic set is about (thankfully)... But here's my 2 questions...

1) Why do you think Mosaic DIDN'T include any of the Live at the Lighthouse Pacific Jazz releases? According to AMG there's at least another 6 LP's of live material (including Newport...) Should we lobby them to include that stuff??

2) Anybody got a good website where I can get some samples of this material to listen to before I (very likely" pre-order ANOTHER set?

thanks!!!

• Replies 138
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I think the noninclusion was just a size matter. Keeping the set at a manageable, possibly affordable, size.

This material is going to be really fun jazz. Soulful and solid. I'll look for some sites with clips though I'm not thinking of any off the top of my head. I have nearly all this stuff and it's good time good feeling music !

Try typing in "Jazz Crusaders" in www.amazon.com "Popular Music." You'll get some Pacific Jazz cds with brief clips to listen to. . . .

thanks - that was helpful..

I'm definitely intrigued.... Hm... (As they said in the Godfather...

"Just when I'm out - They pull me back in" :)

I've got most of the studio LPs on vinyl but I think I'll still get the Mosaic. Should hang together really nicely as a set. I guess they might be holding back on this new 'Lighthouse' material for a future 'Select', perhaps?

If this is the case, Mosaic will have got it just right.. :tup

Edited by sidewinder

Two of the Lighthouse Live set's are already out on cd and the '62 one will be issued on cd too soon. The Festival album will be released next may and the date with McCann will be issued next year. So apart from the Big Band date (which MC hates) we will get all the Pacific JC dates on cd in the near future!!!

So, what are we talking about here? "Heat Wave?" "Tough Talk?" "Lookin' Ahead?" The one with Joe Pass? The ones with Buster Williams? ("Powerhouse" and "Uh Huh.") (About the only studio dates to make it to CD were their first - "Freedom Sound" - and the Latin album. There was a "Best Of.." collection which included studio material and a couple of cuts from the first Lighthouse album.) The "Festival Album" is one of their best - 4 long tracks.

About the only studio dates to make it to CD were their first - "Freedom Sound" - and the Latin album. There was a "Best Of.." collection which included studio material and a couple of cuts from the first Lighthouse album.)
"Powerhouse" (and also "Lighthouse '68") was out on CD on the dubious 'Applause' label. But I would hardly say that counts; sound was bad and cover art sabotaged.

Probable inclusions?

1961 Looking Ahead Pacific Jazz

1962 The Jazz Crusaders at the Lighthouse [live] Pacific Jazz

1963 Tough Talk Pacific Jazz

1963 Heat Wave Pacific Jazz

1964 Stretchin' Out Pacific Jazz

1964 The Thing Pacific Jazz

1965 Chile con Soul Pacific Jazz

1966 Talk That Talk Pacific Jazz

1967 Uh Huh Pacific Jazz

1968 Powerhouse Pacific Jazz

1969 Give Peace a Chance Liberty

There also may be some unissued stuff. I remember a post that Bresnahan made on the old BN board that Cuscuna had told him that there was alot of extra Jazz Crusaders material in the vaults. This seems to be the case on the Lighthouse material that has been issued so far. The '66 cd has two extra tracks and the '68 cd has four. Lets hope the same is true on the studio dates.

Jim,

Im with you on Felder. Another in the long line of Texas tenormen who sound like every solo will be their last. so lets get it all in.

Yeah, Wayne Henderson's trombone is so much so what, Joe Sample could (and still can) play great, but hey, so could/can lots of cats, & Stix Hooper's the same way (although I can hear litttle bits and pieces of regional flayva that hold appeal. The bass chair was an open position (so to speak....), & with Buster Williams they had a good'un, but still...

It's Wilton Felder that gave that group the immediacy and personality that I like out of music. Now, when they got into the funk stuff, that's when the other cats' flava became more pronounced, but for the Jazz Crusaders, I'm listening to Felder first and foremost.

Two of the Lighthouse Live set's are already out on cd and the '62 one will be issued on cd too soon. The Festival album will be released next may and the date with McCann will be issued next year. So apart from the Big Band date (which MC hates) we will get all the Pacific JC dates on cd in the near future!!!

How do you know all of this??? Are you a Cuscuna INSIDER or something???

Anyway... in my anticipation of the box set... I just went out and bought the two live sessions currently out on Cd....

Sorry to not answer your question Alan but I have to say this...

:D:D:D:D:D:D

You guys are gonna kill me... but I just called Mosaic and asked them if they were taking pre-orders for the Jazz Crusaders set... and they said "We are now!" So... I zapped down my info.... I know its silly but I would LOVE to get like any set under the #50....

It's 5:05pm EST and they're closed now... so those of you interested (and want to plunk down the cash now) may want to call them tommorrow...

But you didn't hear it from me...

B-)

Yippee!!!!!!!!!!!

:excited::excited::excited:

i'm not familiar at all with their output except for Live At The Lighthouse '66 that i got a month ago. i'm diggin' a lot what i'm hearing and this seems a wonderful opportunity for myself to regret my ignorance

Marcus

sounds like a plan to me....

see my earlier post...!

:)

The McCann/Wilson LP is good, but maybe not all that it could have been given the names involved. There is a nice ballad with the band, and a couple of trio tracks. There may be a cut from the album on that Rhino McCann compilation. (I feel the same about the McCann/Jazz Crusaders collaboration - good, but doesn't live up to the promise.)

The McCann/Wilson LP is good, but maybe not all that it could have been given the names involved. There is a nice ballad with the band, and a couple of trio tracks.

My sentiments as well.

I wish that the entire album had been vocals w/band. I usually find McCann's piano work to be fun at the moment, but w/o staying power. Otoh, I think he's a very good singer. The version of "Please Send Me Someone To Love" on this album is worth the cost of admission by itself.