upcoming jazz crusaders set?

• Replies 138
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm sure that most of y'all got this in the most recent Mosaic e-mail, but I thought I'd add it to this thread, because I think it's pretty relevant to understanding the music of The Crusaders (Jazz and otherwise).

"I visited New York in '63, intending to move there, but I noticed that what I valued about jazz was being discarded. I ran into `out-to-lunch' free jazz, and the notion that groove was old-fashioned. All around the United States, I could see jazz becoming linear, a horn-player's world. It made me realize that we were not jazz musicians; we were territory musicians in love with all forms of African-American music. All of the musicians I loved were territory musicians, deeply into blues and gospel as well as jazz. " - Joe Sample

That, I think, is a highly cogent statement not easily dismissed. There will always be those who will fliply dismiss the bands "change of direction" as being motivated strictly by money, but it's not that simple. A cynic often sees the reality of a situation without always understanding the truth behind it...

"Territory musicians", eh? I like the notion. A lot.

I'm sure that most of y'all got this in the most recent Mosaic e-mail, but I thought I'd add it to this thread, because I think it's pretty relevant to understanding the music of The Crusaders (Jazz and otherwise).

"I visited New York in '63, intending to move there, but I noticed that what I valued about jazz was being discarded. I ran into `out-to-lunch' free jazz, and the notion that groove was old-fashioned. All around the United States, I could see jazz becoming linear, a horn-player's world. It made me realize that we were not jazz musicians; we were territory musicians in love with all forms of African-American music. All of the musicians I loved were territory musicians, deeply into blues and gospel as well as jazz. " - Joe Sample

That, I think, is a highly cogent statement not easily dismissed. There will always be those who will fliply dismiss the bands "change of direction" as being motivated strictly by money, but it's not that simple. A cynic often sees the reality of a situation without always understanding the truth behind it...

That quote caught my attention, too. Definitely food for thought.

• 3 weeks later...

The new Mosaic catalogue arrived here today and the Jazz Crusaders set is heavily featured ( :) ). I was wondering about this set as I haven't had a Mosaic invoice letter yet for my pre-order, which I was assuming should have arrived if the set is in the new catalogue. Maybe I need to send them an email just in case my pre-order got lost in the wash.

Looks like a really great set !

I guess that I'm one of those cynics. I always thought that their "territory" was the Billboard charts.

I guess that I'm one of those cynics. I always thought that their "territory" was the Billboard charts.

Me too. Back in the day I checked out the lps as they were issued (listening booths folks) and never purchased a one. The guys could play but so could my college friends. Bought the 2 live cds cheap from BMG and won't bat an eye at the big box.

Life is too short, music is too big, bread is too short, blah, blah, blah.

• 2 weeks later...