Anonymity

Ted O'Reilly

I have nothing against screen names and for this reason. Gene Harris Fanatic is just as real to me in the computer realm as is Dan Gould. I doubt outside of a few more well known people such as Chris Albertson, Chuck Nessa, ect. nobody would know someone anyhow.

Plus, screen names are fun and for the most part are more revealing about a person's nature and interests than just "John Doe."

I don't think anybody's "hiding" behind screen names so much as they are enjoying having a little fun.

Plus, you can link yourself to something that otherwise you couldn't. I am "Soul Stream" because I dig George Briath's "Soul Stream" LP. Took me 2 seconds to sign on at the original BNBB, and I've had it since. Not a lot of thought went into it, but it was a kick at the moment. Fun. :g

• Replies 175
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

When I know someone's name and see that they never use it in a post, I respect that.

This is a lie and we both know it. You are a perfect example of why people choose to be anonymous. You have hounded me for years to identify myself and you have tried to out me when you thought you knew my real name.

People are free to call themselves whatever they choose but I think it is particularly dangerous for women to identify themselves online. I don't mind people using psuedonyms. What I find annoying is people who engage in an obvious alter ego online. I'm surrounded with enough phonies and poseurs in my "offline" life.

Yes, I do know your name and, a few years back, I used it on another BBS when you became particularly offensive and reported a fellow poster to his ISP and, I believe, the FBI. It was right after 9/11 and he had sent you (and many of us) a patriotic poem, inspired by that tragedy. Perhaps I shouldn't have dropped your mask (anyway, you say that I didn't), but your cyber behavior became so outrageous that I thought dropping yourt mask might stop you--obviously, it didn't. I have never called you "Whiny Day," as I have seen on JC, but I have to be honest and say that it fits you well. I have never hounded you, much less "for years," but you are a paranoid sort. In fact, I once sent you a PM suggesting that we not make our differences personal. That olive branch was received with a frosty remark, and you obviously took it and chewed it up.

If you (or anyone else) went back and took a good look at your various outbursts, I think it would be plain as day that you periodically fly off the handle (so to speak) and have a hissy fit that only you seem to understand.

I remember well what caused your first barrage of epithets aimed in my direction, it was when someone had started a thread asking for lines overheard from an exiting concert audience.

Explaining this this was not something I personally had overheard, but that I thought it might be interesting, I related a story told me by Lil Armstrong. When King Oliver's Creole Jazz Band (of which she was a member) played a California concert, in 1921, the wife of one of the musicians overheard a black member of the exiting audience say to his wife or girlfriend, "Calling themselves Creole, they ain't nothing but niggers!"

Well, my dear, you hit the ceiling and called me a racist and whatever else you could think of. And when our fellow posters thought you were over-reacting, your eruptions escalated.

Was I a racist for telling Lil's story? Was Lil a racist for telling it to me? Was the audience member a racist for making the remark?

Sorry about the above, but I really think you asked for it.

And my apologies to you, Jim, the board has enough of this sort of thing without me contributing to it--but sometimes, you know, some people.....

Edited by Christiern

With Jim's help, I finally did it. (Thanks Jim!)

I, AfricaBrass am now Jeff B (as I have always been anyway). :g

I hope you guys still know who I am. :P

:rsmile:

WTF. The real...known world takes another PKD shift. :rfr

When I know someone's name and see that they never use it in a post, I respect that.

This is a lie and we both know it. You are a perfect example of why people choose to be anonymous. You have hounded me for years to identify myself and you have tried to out me when you thought you knew my real name.

People are free to call themselves whatever they choose but I think it is particularly dangerous for women to identify themselves online. I don't mind people using psuedonyms. What I find annoying is people who engage in an obvious alter ego online. I'm surrounded with enough phonies and poseurs in my "offline" life.

Yes, I do know your name and, a few years back, I used it on another BBS when you became particularly offensive and reported a fellow poster to his ISP and, I believe, the FBI. It was right after 9/11 and he had sent you (and many of us) a patriotic poem, inspired by that tragedy. Perhaps I shouldn't have dropped your mask (anyway, you say that I didn't), but your cyber behavior became so outrageous that I thought dropping yourt mask might stop you--obviously, it didn't. I have never called you "Whiny Day," as I have seen on JC, but I have to be honest and say that it fits you well. I have never hounded you, much less "for years," but you are a paranoid sort. In fact, I once sent you a PM suggesting that we not make our differences personal. That olive branch was received with a frosty remark, and you obviously took it and chewed it up.

If you (or anyone else) went back and took a good look at your various outbursts, I think it would be plain as day that you periodically fly off the handle (so to speak) and have a hissy fit that only you seem to understand.

I remember well what caused your first barrage of epithets aimed in my direction, it was when someone had started a thread asking for lines overheard from an exiting concert audience.

Explaining this this was not something I personally had overheard, but that I thought it might be interesting, I related a story told me by Lil Armstrong. When King Oliver's Creole Jazz Band (of which she was a member) played a California concert, in 1921, the wife of one of the musicians overheard a black member of the exiting audience say to his wife or girlfriend, "Calling themselves Creole, they ain't nothing but niggers!"

Well, my dear, you hit the ceiling and called me a racist and whatever else you could think of. And when our fellow posters thought you were over-reacting, your eruptions escalated.

Was I a racist for telling Lil's story? Was Lil a racist for telling it to me? Was the audience member a racist for making the remark?

Sorry about the above, but I really think you asked for it.

And my apologies to you, Jim, the board has enough of this sort of thing without me contributing to it--but sometimes, you know, some people.....

p_pm.gif

thank you both...

Edited by couw

Never really thought about a screen name but even if I had since I had the same name at the BNBB, I figured I'd stick with the same one so people would know who I am, in case anybody cares.

In the interest of full disclosure, I think you should change your screen name to "Bradford". :rolleyes:

I'm feeling awful shady right about now.

Honestly, there is very little record of me on the internet, as of today, and I'd like to keep it that way for a while. I'm really just another guy with no tie to the industry. I'd just assume keep it that way.

Welcome Ted.

You are friggin' impossible.