Anonymity

Ted O'Reilly

• Replies 175
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I never wished to suggest that using a 'handle' would mean that people wouldn't be honest in their opinion, but that using a real name might in fact lead one to be a little more rational and responsible in expressing it.

Then I retract my earlier post.

Signed,

Anonymous

I never wished to suggest that using a 'handle' would mean that people wouldn't be honest in their opinion, but that using a real name might in fact lead one to be a little more rational and responsible in expressing it.

Signed,

Anonymous

Don't retract it! He insults us all by implying that we could be rational!

Signed,

Anonymous

Don't retract it! He insults us all by implying that we could be rational!

I don't want to have to explain it, man, in case he twigs. But, I will say, given the little turnaround he made, my retraction has to be construed as irrational and irresponsible.

So don't feel bad.

Edited by Epithet

I think my use of my real name is just laziness (no great inspiration for a handle) & because I get tired of people misspelling "Dorward" (there's a jerk on Jazz Corner who still can't, or won't, get it right) so figure I might as well put it onscreen to help folks.....

Anyway, good to see you here Ted.

I hate to say this, but I think I almost prefer the non-"real name" monickers. :w

With there being multiple Jim's here (one who runs this board, and one who posts here more than anybody else), things can get very confusing without having to mention last names. And I'm pretty sure there are a couple Jeff's here too, if I remember right ( :unsure: ).

I'm not saying everyone has to have a nickname, but in some cases -- there may be some benifits to some folks having user names, like b3-er, and AfricaBrass.

Pretty sure there's at least one or two other Tom's here too (besides myself). So I'm stickin' with Rooster T. -- that be me!!! B-)

I hate to say this, but I think I almost prefer the non-"real name" monickers.  :w

With there being multiple Jim's here (one who runs this board, and one who posts here more than anybody else), things can get very confusing without having to mention last names. 

And that's another reason why I went with a handle (aside from being a nobody :) .)

There was already an Eric & there was already a Hutchhead (which is close enough to my last name.) That's a problem when you arrive later to the party - your name belongs to somebody else. ;)

I hate to say this, but I think I almost prefer the non-"real name" monickers.  :w

With there being multiple Jim's here (one who runs this board, and one who posts here more than anybody else), things can get very confusing without having to mention last names. 

And that's another reason why I went with a handle (aside from being a nobody :) .)

There was already an Eric & there was already a Hutchhead (which is close enough to my last name.) That's a problem when you arrive later to the party - your name belongs to somebody else. ;)

Eric Hutchhead....that's a name you don't hear everyday ;) .

When I know someone's name and see that they never use it in a post, I respect that.

This is a lie and we both know it. You are a perfect example of why people choose to be anonymous. You have hounded me for years to identify myself and you have tried to out me when you thought you knew my real name.

People are free to call themselves whatever they choose but I think it is particularly dangerous for women to identify themselves online. I don't mind people using psuedonyms. What I find annoying is people who engage in an obvious alter ego online. I'm surrounded with enough phonies and poseurs in my "offline" life.

Yes, I do know your name and, a few years back, I used it on another BBS when you became particularly offensive and reported a fellow poster to his ISP and, I believe, the FBI. It was right after 9/11 and he had sent you (and many of us) a patriotic poem, inspired by that tragedy. Perhaps I shouldn't have dropped your mask (anyway, you say that I didn't), but your cyber behavior became so outrageous that I thought dropping yourt mask might stop you--obviously, it didn't. I have never called you "Whiny Day," as I have seen on JC, but I have to be honest and say that it fits you well. I have never hounded you, much less "for years," but you are a paranoid sort. In fact, I once sent you a PM suggesting that we not make our differences personal. That olive branch was received with a frosty remark, and you obviously took it and chewed it up.

If you (or anyone else) went back and took a good look at your various outbursts, I think it would be plain as day that you periodically fly off the handle (so to speak) and have a hissy fit that only you seem to understand.

I remember well what caused your first barrage of epithets aimed in my direction, it was when someone had started a thread asking for lines overheard from an exiting concert audience.

Explaining this this was not something I personally had overheard, but that I thought it might be interesting, I related a story told me by Lil Armstrong. When King Oliver's Creole Jazz Band (of which she was a member) played a California concert, in 1921, the wife of one of the musicians overheard a black member of the exiting audience say to his wife or girlfriend, "Calling themselves Creole, they ain't nothing but niggers!"

Well, my dear, you hit the ceiling and called me a racist and whatever else you could think of. And when our fellow posters thought you were over-reacting, your eruptions escalated.

Was I a racist for telling Lil's story? Was Lil a racist for telling it to me? Was the audience member a racist for making the remark?

Sorry about the above, but I really think you asked for it.

And my apologies to you, Jim, the board has enough of this sort of thing without me contributing to it--but sometimes, you know, some people.....

The poem that DEEP wrote was vile and disgusting. He sent it to me twice. The second time he sent it, he said the FBI would be in touch with me so I notified his ISP. I am not a fan of the FBI and didn't want them contacting me for a damn thing. Especially anything related to 9-11. At the time, I had been posting at JC for less than a year, during a time DEEP had been banned and had just been let back in, around the time of 9-11. He didn't sign his name to his e-mails and I wasn't sure who was sending me this garbage until it came out at JC. I know what happened because I still have his e-mail. Since I never discussed this with you, I don't know how you came up with your story unless DEEP told you his version of reality in one of his drunken rants.

As for the Lil Armstrong story, yes, I have have an aversion to the use of the n-word. Sue me. As Michael Rappaprt, the white actor, said in a documentary about the origin and history of the n-word: Anyone white who is using the word "n---er" and not getting his ass kicked, well something is wrong with that.

The poem that DEEP wrote...

Funny how partial information yields partial reaction. When Chris says "a poster", Rainy Day sounds over-the-top for contacting the poster's ISP. But when we find out it's DEEP, well...

Sorry; I'll ignore y'all's feud like everyone else is now.

It was a perfectly innocent poem--a bit too patriotic for my taste, but certainly not in any way offensive or to be taken personally. It apparently induced hysteria and an over-reaction (to say the least), but only in that one poster. Regardless of what you think of DEEP--and he has gone way over the line, at times--this was simply a perfectly understandable expression of his feelings in the wake of the attack. Reporting this to the FBI and ISP was uncalled for. Sorry Moose, but that DEEP was the victim does not alter the fact that what she did was senseless and vicious. There is no "feud" here, but when the subject is cyber civility, the rainy handle inevitably pops up.

When I registered on the old BN Board I used my name rather than a pseudonym. I just figured - why not? It didn't take me long to realize that almost all of the folks who did use their real names were people who had a reputation in the music world. That made me a little paranoid - not in the sense of someone stalking or harassing me on the internet, but I thought that there might be people who would think - who's this guy to use his name when nobody knows him?

When the BN Board imploded and I came here, I used my real name again because I figured that people would recognize me by my real name. I still have the sense that I'm a bit out of place not using a pseudonym, but what's done is done and I''m not going to change at this point.

Guest Chaney

Paul Secor... Secor... Seeee... corrr.....

HOLY CRAP! Are you THE Paul Secor! I never realized!

Sheesh! Using his real name. Egotistical bastard!

^_^

I've had the "Rooster_Ties" handle for close to 5 years now, and it seems kinda silly to change it now, after all these years.  Like Jeff said, then nobody would know who I was!!  :P

Same here!

(except that I'm not Rooster Ties)

:lol:

Nobody knew who I was... so I'm back to my old handle. No mo' name changes.

Who cares who anyone is?

Also, this is a matter of preference, some people don't care to jump out there and meet people face to face, this medium gives the choice of presenting yourselft or staying anonymous.

:tup

Che.

I've had the "Rooster_Ties" handle for close to 5 years now, and it seems kinda silly to change it now, after all these years.  Like Jeff said, then nobody would know who I was!!  :P

Same here!

(except that I'm not Rooster Ties)

:lol:

Nobody knew who I was... so I'm back to my old handle. No mo' name changes.

I hardly had a chance to get used to your real name! :lol:

I see that you have a new avatar. That's you with the beard?