Whole Lotta Monk from Sony

Guest Mnytime

Guest Mnytime

Just got around to opening my mail so I haven't heard how these sound yet. I believe they are coming out in Mid to late August.

Criss-Cross

Hackensack - 4:14

Tea for Two - 3:48

Criss Cross - 4:43

Eronel - 4:32

Rhythm-A-Ning - 3:54

Don't Blame Me - 7:06

Think of One - 6:07

Crespuscule With Nellie - 2:48

Pannonica - 6:47

Bonus Tracks

Coming on the Hudson - 7:33

Tea for Two - 5:14

Eronel - 5:59

It's Monk's Time

Lulu's Back in Town - 9:57

Memories of You - 6:07

Stuffy Turkey - 8:12

Brake's Sake - 12:27

Nice Work If You Can Get It [Take 3] - 4:17

Shuffle Boil [Retake] - 7:09

Bonus Tracks

Epistropy - 5:09

Nice Work If You Can Get It - 4:10

Shuffle Boil - 4:51

Solo Monk-I don't think there is anything different from the 2CD Complete Solo in terms of alt or unreleased tracks. Outside of not being the Complete set it is remastered in 24 bit.

Dinah [Take 2] - 2:30

I Surrender, Dear - 3:47

Sweet and Lovely [Take 2] - 3:03

North of the Sunset - 1:55

Ruby, My Dear [Take 3] - 5:42

I'm Confessin' (That I Love You) - 2:39

I Hadn't Told Anyone Till You - 3:21

Everything Happens to Me [Take 3] - 3:31

Monk's Point - 2:20

I Should Care - 2:00

Ask Me Now [Take 2] - 4:40

These Foolish Things (Remind Me of You) - 3:36

Bonus Tracks

Introspection- 2:14

Darn That Dream - 3:41

Dinah - 2:25

Sweet and Lovely [Take 1] 3:18

Ruby, My Dear - 4:48

I'm Confessin' (That I Love You) - 2:44

Everything Happens to Me - 5:20

Ask Me How - 3:43

Underground

Thelonious - 3:17

Ugly Beauty - 10:47

Raise Four - 7:01

Boo Boo's Birthday - 5:57

Easy Street - 7:52

Green Chimneys - 13:11

In Walked Bud - 6:49

Bonus Tracks

Ugly Beauty - 7:39

Boo Boo's Birthday - 5:35

Thelonious - 3:10

Edited by Mnytime

that's good news! I love the Columbia Monk reissues a lot, too! Keepnews doing a good job, for once :P

I have not bough the still widely available french Columbia CDs of these, waiting for the "real" ones to come.

Love the Monk comp 3CD, too, although I think most unissued material from there will resurface on the upcoming single reissues.

ubu

Particularly glad to see IT'S MONK'S TIME finally getting US reissue, and with BONUS TRACKS! Superb album, with some unjustly neglected compositions. Hopefully I can soon trade in my old French CD edition, which is showing its age sonically.

Speaking of all this - I kind of am amazed that Sony seems to have decided not to do a COMPLETE MONK ON COLUMBIA boxed set...or maybe they will eventually. That is my only reservation about picking some of these individual releases up. They did the sampler box recently, but Monk seems to sell well and I just wonder about whether we'll see a complete Columbia box some day.

True, although to clarify I was thinking only of the studio sessions, not the large number of live recordings - including those WOULD make it pretty prohibitively big.

I haven't done the math for the studio dates, but I can't imagine it would be any bigger than 10-12 CDs which they just did for Billie Holiday. Ah well, probably a pipe dream at any rate, and I won't be holding my breath (or my wallet!) for it, nor passing on these single CD reissues, I can tell you! :g

Well really, to include the unreleased material they may have and be able to, it would be a big box, studio or live, and I think they feel they are better served in many ways by making a series of single releases (that I think must sell alright, more perhaps than a big box might). This is just my guessing from the way they are doing things, and the amount of alternates they are including with each new reissue, etc. I'm going to go outside my normal likes here and say at this point I'm wishing they just continue the single releases; I've bought all the released stuff several times, and don't relish rebuying yet again most of it to get what rare stuff they might include in a box. . . . They're doing a good job with the single releases and frankly I'm surprised to see so many more on the horizon so soon!

At the deceased BNBB I suggested they break it up into 4 (!) sets, like the Miles stuff:

Studio, 1963-63 (quartet with Frankie Dunlop)

Live, 1963-64 (quartet and big band with Dunlop)

Studio, 1965-68 (quartet and big band with ben Riley)

Live, 1965-68 (dtto.)

- the solos slipped in chronologically or kept seperate as in the excellent 2 CD set available.

This would give them a chance to include the obscurer live material, some of which appeared on the Misterioso LP (Brandeis University, Mexico), or even some bootleg live recordings - there are not that many with Dunlop.

I too don't think it will ever happen, but I wonder if the Brandeis and Mexico live recordings will come out in a series based on the original LPs, as the Misterioso LP will become obsolete.

Solo Monk-I don't think there is anything different from the 2CD Complete Solo in terms of alt or unreleased tracks. Outside of not being the Complete set it is remastered in 24 bit.

Dinah [Take 2] - 2:30

I Surrender, Dear - 3:47

Sweet and Lovely [Take 2] - 3:03

North of the Sunset - 1:55

Ruby, My Dear [Take 3] - 5:42

I'm Confessin' (That I Love You) - 2:39

Everything Happens to Me [Take 3] - 3:31

Monk's Point - 2:20

I Should Care - 2:00

Ask Me Now [Take 2] - 4:40

These Foolish Things (Remind Me of You) - 3:36

Bonus Tracks

Introspection- 2:14

Darn That Dream - 3:41

Dinah - 2:25

Sweet and Lovely [Take 1] 3:18

Ruby, My Dear - 4:48

I'm Confessin' (That I Love You) - 2:44

Everything Happens to Me - 5:20

Ask Me How - 3:43

This looks like a straight single CD reissue of the original Solo Monk LP with some bonus material added.

I can't understand why Body And Soul is not included, which struck me as one of Monk's greatest solos when I first heard it on the Monk Alone twofer.

Just got around to opening my mail so I haven't heard how these sound yet. I believe they are coming out in Mid to late August.

Criss-Cross

Hackensack - 4:14

Tea for Two - 3:48

Criss Cross - 4:43

Eronel - 4:32

Rhythm-A-Ning - 3:54

Don't Blame Me - 7:06

Think of One - 6:07

Crespuscule With Nellie - 2:48

Pannonica - 6:47

Bonus Tracks

Coming on the Hudson - 7:33

Tea for Two - 5:14

Eronel - 5:59

Underground

Thelonious - 3:17

Ugly Beauty - 10:47

Raise Four - 7:01

Boo Boo's Birthday - 5:57

Easy Street - 7:52

Green Chimneys - 13:11

In Walked Bud - 6:49

Bonus Tracks

Ugly Beauty - 7:39

Boo Boo's Birthday - 5:35

Thelonious - 3:10

If one compares timings, Think of One must have been edited on the old Criss Cross LP and previous CD reissue (was 5:18 there).

Same goes for 5 (!) tracks of the Underground LP and previous CD reissue:

Ugly Beauty - 10:47 was 3:17

Raise Four - 7:01 was 5:47

Easy Street - 7:52 was 5:53 (complete take was on the Always Know twofer - a nice bowed bass solo by Larry gales restored)

Green Chimneys - 13:11 was 9:00

In Walked Bud - 6:49 was 4:17

Did Underground debut "Boo Boo's Birthday," or did that track appear somewhere else first? It's always been one of my favorite Monk compositions.

AMG Boo Boo's Birthday

if this link is of any value - it seems he never did Boo Boo's Birthday before. Of the other (not-Monk) versions I only know Joe Henderson's, and it's a great tune on a great record, in my opinion.

ubu

• 3 weeks later...