another board just like this, hacked to pieces...

Rooster_Ties

Another board I read occasionally (for Classical Music discussion), though I don't post there all that much. A bit like this place (same software, probably different version though). Check it out...

http://www.classicalmusicguide.com

How often do board like ours get hacked??

I know, it all depends on how good a board's defenses are.

Doesn't suprise me at all that this Classical board got hacked. Every three or four months they would literally close down the entire main discussion forum, lock it, and open a brand new one. From what I understand, the performance of their board would grind to a halt every 6 to 9 months if they didn't create a brand new forum more frequently than that, and close the old one. Searches used to take upwards of 3-5 minutes sometimes, and posting would take a full minute or two too. (Obviously they didn't have the technical know-how to run the place -- not that I do either, but I don't run a board either.)

And they probably also didn't have the know-how to set up many (or any) defences for their board either, it would seem.

Just got a dozen e-mails from the hacker too just now (which is how I first realized this happened). I guess the board is now called "HACKED BY ACHILLES" (instead of "THE CLASSICAL MUSIC GUIDE")...

----- Original Message -----

To: <webmaster@classicalmusicguide.com>

Sent: Thursday, March 24, 2005 7:33 PM

Subject: HACKED BY ACHILLES

> The following is an email sent to you by an administrator of "HACKED BY ACHILLES". If this message is spam, contains abusive or other comments you find offensive please contact the webmaster of the board at the following address:

>

> webmaster@classicalmusicguide.com

>

> Include this full email (particularly the headers).

>

> Message sent to you follows:

> ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

>

> THESE FORUMS HAVE BEEN OWN3D BAD BY ACHILLES.

>

> CHEERS.

>

> ACHILLES.

>

Edited by Rooster_Ties

You know that it's a bunch of classical music snobs because they say 'fora' instead of 'forums' like us illiterate jazz fans do! They probably also use 'orchestra' as a plural noun.

Clicking on rooster's link, you see that the board and its fora have been restored.

Bertrand.

I'd enjoy a serious classical music discussion board, but when all posts are lost every few months, what's the use? They should approach it in a more professional way. I'm amazed at how naive some people on the web still are.

Kudos again to King Jim for maintaining this place! :tup

Edited by mikeweil

I'd enjoy a serious classical music discussion board, but when all posts are lost every few months, what's the use?

Not entirely lost. They just lock the current forum, and create a new one. Can still search the old one, from what I understand. (Stupid way to do things, though, we're in total agreement on that.)

Actually, there's only about a dozen really active posters on that board, with maybe another dozen or two other very infrequent posters (like myself). I only check that place out about once a month, at most.