Classical piano (Impressionist)

After getting some excellent feedback regarding flute music and Brandenburg Concerto recordings, I know I can count on yoru classical know how here.

I have Ravel's complete piano works (played by Phillippe Entremont/Sony) and Debussy's complete piano works (played by Walter Gieseking/EMI). Both sets consistently move me very much. Could any of you recommend others who composed in a similar vein? Preferrably piano music, but open to anything.

Thanks

Edited by TheMusicalMarine

I'm not sure if these fit the bill, but I do enjoy Fauré's piano works. They seem well-crafted to me. I'm not familiar with any recordings other than Paul Crossley's. (If anyone else has any other recommendations, I'd like to hear them.)

Have you thought about progressing onto Debussy's orchestral works? There's a very cheap 8-CD EMI set with Martinon's recordings of Debussy and Ravel. Some individual performances might be bested (by Boulez, say), but overall I wouldn't hesitate to recommend it. (I prefered these recordings over Haitink's, for instance.)

Back to the piano: this might be a stretch, but tracing out Scriabin's path from the early Chopin-influenced works to the late piano sonatas is something else that occurred to me. I haven't heard too many performances of these, but Gould's unique versions of the 3rd and 5th sonatas may appeal.

There was an interesting thread on Debussy's piano music here some months ago on his Preludes - it's worth checking out.

I'd recommend Deodat de Severacs piano works, especially a 2-disc set of a Japanese pianist on a Finnish label - there's a thread on this composer too. (Link)

Edited by mikeweil