Are all boards this cantankerous?

medjuck

The only boards I've ever read regularly are about Jazz. Are boards on other topics similar in tone? I mean would a board about bird watching be this rambuctious? If so perhaps that Freud quote (which I first read here) about the "narcissism of small differences" explains it.

I guess I'm asking is it Jazz or the nature of small communities or just the nature of the internet that sets the tone?

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

My take is that it's just the nature of the Internet.

Here's an example (typical?? - you tell me), of a board that's not music-related. Generally a lot more cantankerous than we are, depending on what's going on in the world. But nowhere near as crazy as some others, probably. Helps they often have more than 500 people viewing the board at a time. ("Most users ever online was 1028, March 2, 2003 at 08:13 PM." -- :blink::blink::blink: ) Topics fly off the first page of "Today's Active Topics" in a matter of minutes sometimes.

http://www.iidb.org/vbb/index.php

Something to look forward to around here, when the band really takes off!!!! ^_^

Edited by Rooster_Ties

My feeling is that

1. The sort of contentiousness here is more like Freud's narcissism of small differences or factionalism amongst political cadres. The fact that we're here means we care about jazz and jazz history--so we are liable to wrangle over what seem like small contradicitions on these matters. If we indifferent to small differences we wouldn't be here.

2. This is different than the mere casual hostility one runs into at many places on the net.

3. At the moment we've moved (and I included myself here) from being not indifferent to being intolerant of small differences and personality conflicts.

4. I am thinking this may be lingering emotional fallout from the election to some degree.

5. I am thinking that the diversity of the group here is *raising the bar* on how much tolerance is required of people who post, and we just aren't jumping any higher.

--eric

I've seen worse than Organissimo ;)

This german discussion forum on analogue audio is currently closed because the moderators want to have time for their families on Easter  :lol:

Now I'm really curious what's going on there - will check in on Tuesday!

Two weeks ago, a board regular was outed as a transsexual perfomance artist.

You want to see retarded message boards? Go to any rock band's board, particularly ones like The Ramones or Guided By Voices. While they are both favorite bands of mine, the fans get into such name calling and back & forth that it's not worth, at times, having message boards. God forbid you say something somebody doesn't like about "their band". I like the tone here much better, more relaxed and thoughtful.....well, most times it is. ;)

Edited by dave9199

Are all boards this cantankerous?, Or just those about jazz?

Should I close Speakeasy? -- Lois Gilbert

I think the move to make the Politics forum only visible to members (meaning lurkers can't see it at all, and don't even know it's there unless they see mention of it elsewhere) --- and beyond that even, since it is only visible to members who specifically request access to it (an "opt-in" system) --- can and should be a VERY healthy thing for this board. (Only time will tell about that, however.)

Personally I am VERY appreciative of still having the Politics forum around here (thanks Jim!!! :wub: ), and these new measures should help contain a majority of the controversial rhetoric around here (which I still argue is relatively limited, at least as compared to other boards), so that it stays in its own "private" area.

Hey Jim, just out of curiosity, what are the stats for the number of members here who have access to the Politics forum??

Interesting JC thread, Chaney. I left that board because of Lois herself, but she was really only the last straw. There are a couple of regulars at JC whose posts are chronically offensive and almost always without substance. I think toning them down or banning them altogether would make that board more palatable, but she also needs to work on herself and stop pandering to the Lincoln Center crowd.

That said, I think the majority of JC's regulars are great people who would be an asset to any board, so Lois should mend rather than eliminate the Speakeasy area.

Guest Chaney

That said, I think the majority of JC's regulars are great people who would be an asset to any board, so Lois should mend rather than eliminate the Speakeasy area.

I was thinking the same thing about the JC regulars, and selfishly hoping she did shut it down.... ;)

That's an awful thing to say.

And HOW DARE YOU insinutate that I TOO would not at all mind seeing more of the JCers as members of this board, even if it came as a result of the loss of the JC, although, if I had to guess, I'd imagine that if the JC did close -- and I'm guessing it won't -- many of the JC crew might find a better fit over at the I Hate Music site, which has its tie-in with Bagatellen, although, the more mainstream listeners would be right at home here BUT an influx of the more out listeners would be oh-so-welcome.

Again, shame on you for having such thoughts.

:unsure:

Without getting in the politics of the relative merits of the various jazz boards these days (please, please - we go there too much as it is)...

...I for one hope that NONE of the other jazz boards close down any time soon (at least in terms of the Organissimo board getting LOTS of new members all at one time). I'd rather this place grow, develop and change over time, gradually.

Personally, I do think we're all the better off for the BNBB having closed down (those of us who came from there, and I realize not everybody here did) --- but no matter how you look at it, the fairly large, sudden influx of BNBB people over at AAJ wasn't exactly smooth sailing for them (not pointing any fingers). If JC closed down suddenly, and a bunch of people there all came over here (all at the same time), I'm sure the results would be just as difficult.

All of these different jazz boards each have their own unique character. And I wish them all the best.

You're right, of course, Rooster. A huge influx of refugees would be extremely disruptive; I know we were at several places (I wonder if Harlem.org or whatever it was ever wondered what the hell happened...). On the other hand, if some of JCs gang started slowly drifting in, I sure wouldn't mind.

I think it's the nature of all boards. I've got a friend who's as much a Red Sox nut (no offense inteneded) as Dan and belongs to a board run by the Boston Globe (I believe). He says that Yankee fans like to go on there and make trouble and then the proverbial you know what hits the fan. It's not like you can control who joins. You'll get all kinds of people and some of them contrary by nature.

Has anyone mentioned that this is just the nature of the internet? B-)

So we're cantakerous AND we hide behind the anonymity of our screen names?

Man, what a bunch of f*ckin' losers. ;):g

I think this is a key element, the internet is not the best way to express emotions or intent.

Che.