Keith Jarrett At The Blue Note

I have the opportunity to pick up the 6CD box at a pretty good price and was wondering if any of the esteemed members of this board own this set and would recommend it. Any comments would be most welcome as I enjoy what I have heard of the standards trio. Thanks.

I've picked up four of the six discs at one of my local used stores. I'd say run, don't walk, and pick up the box, if you like Jarrett's standards trio!

I'm sorta kicking myself, because I don't think I'm going to find the remaining two discs separately. I'll probably end up purchasing the box proper, and then re-selling the individual discs.

I think one or two of the discs are available for purchase individually (but not all of them), if you want a "sampler" before purchasing the box.

This music is transcendant! This is definately one of my MOST PLAYED box sets. Its neat b/c you get to hear the trio unedited over an extended gig- and these guys are damn consistent.

Most of the sets have a similar feel with one or two ballads a few burners and an extended (15 mins +) jam. I believe this was recorded before Keith's battle with CFS, so he plays with tons of energy. Also largely absent (or at least relegated to the background) is his loud orgasmic groaning and high pitched whining... this has never been an issue for me, but it is for some people.

so, in summary, get the box... if you are at all into piano trios, this will take up a prime spot on your music shelf.

cheers,

Tom

From Allmusic guide: "Never mind that this same group has already had ten separate releases since 1983; this box is still well worth getting."

From Penguin guide: "...an embarrassment of riches."

I could not agree more with both of these statements. One of THE truly essential purchases for any fan of the piano trio. Do not hesitate.

• 2 years later...

I picked up this box set for $30  1 1/2 years ago, but haven't passed disc 4, yet.  But this doesn't mean I don't like the set.  I just have too many other CDs to listen to.  ;)

messenger...

:o:o

you gotta finish listening to the whole set... ! It really is fantastic... One of my favs is "Bop Be."

To the original poster... if you are curious play this set... then play their "Inside Out" 2CD set... very interesting...

I concur though this is a really a good set.... and the previous post about this being before Jarrett's pre-CFS is an accurate point...

I'll just forewarn you.... on some of those longer 20+ min clips... you might find yourself dancing around the house..

:tup:tup:)

I picked up this box set for $30  1 1/2 years ago, but haven't passed disc 4, yet.  But this doesn't mean I don't like the set.  I just have too many other CDs to listen to.  ;)

messenger...

:o:o

you gotta finish listening to the whole set... ! It really is fantastic... One of my favs is "Bop Be."

Okay, Okay. I will finish listening to the rest of the set in the near future...

He might be thinking about "Never Let me Go". Both that and "Inside Out" are much more "out" then the box set though.

yes that's my point...

they are an incredibly different contrast...

still very interesting... just very different...

the cd's are "Always Let Me Go" and "Inside Out."

• 2 weeks later...
  • 5 months later...

One of the most beautiful moments of the set is when they ease into Green Dolphin St. with a little vamp, from which the theme springs so casually. The jam that occurs in the outro is nice, too.

And for humor, you can't beat the end(s) of How About You.

I hold the entire box in the highest esteem.

One of the most beautiful moments of the set is when they ease into Green Dolphin St. with a little vamp, from which the theme springs so casually. The jam that occurs in the outro is nice, too.

Out of the 5 "extended" standard performances on the set this is actually my least favorite!

The low point of the box for me is "Desert Sun". Waaaaaaaay too long for something that repetitive.

Guy