THE RETURN OF QUARTET OUT

JSngry

:o sorry. I dont know about thread protocol. should I not have posted pix of drew's group on this? :blink:

No, not at all. It's just that a new thread might well get more attention than an old one, especially when it would be promoting an upcoming event such as the Reuben Radding gig. Draw as much attention to that one as possible!

As for Drew, hell, I've known and played with him on and off for 30+ years, so I'm never surprised when (or where) I see him. :g

• Replies 118
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Forgot to mention: during the QO gig last Wednesday, the bar had a TV with a DVD player hooked to it. The movie they were showing was Lost in Translation, with Bill Murray & Scarlett Johannsen (sp?). I’ve not seen this movie previously, but the subtitles were turned on, so I would divide my time between watching Quartet Out wailin’ away and Lost in Translation (and may I just say that Ms. Johanssen is one of the most beautiful ladies on the planet? Wow!!!!) Anyway, the whole point of this is that there was a kind of irony watching a movie called Lost in Translation while listening to music that, to a lot of people, gets “lost in translation” (not to those of us at the gig, mind you). Also, just like watching The Wizard of Oz with Dark Side of the Moon, there was that kind of experience as well. I may just go rent the movie and listen to my Quartet Out CDs at the same time!

Nice screen, but didn't recognize the movie

(Don't go to them, so I didn't know).

The tech guy in me did notice that they

were using that awful piece of crapola

known as a "Terapin" to show that film.

I'm surprised to see that they're still in business.

What a piece of technological doo-doo.

(OK, I'm done now...)

Hey! When's the next gig? I'm ready!

Edited by rostasi

the sony is the DSC-S70, one of the last to include an actual zeiss lens. these days they say zeiss but theyre really sony lenses made to his specs and not as good. since it's only 3-4 years old, there's probably still a bunch laying about on ebay or wherever.

I've been in love with scarlett johansson since she was just 17 (if you know what I mean) in 2001, opposite billy bob in "the man who wasnt there" though she was also in "the horse whisperer", "manny and lo" and "home alone 3" (now, who could forget That one) before that...none of which I saw in the mid to late 90s.

when she offered billy bob a blow job while he was driving her home, he lost control of the car and I lost control of my heart. I made it a point to check out "lost in translation" just to get another dose of the incredible scarlett.

as you might expect, there are a number of fan sites, some of which providing, shall we say, expressively modelesque revelations to entice and sooth the savage (and I dont mean michael) soul. i wont recommend any since the hunt is half the prize. i wouldnt want to deprive anyone of their sweet anticipations.

but, unlike the froggish warning in "oh, brother...", I'd say, most definitely...seek the treasure.

Edited by porkerdavis

the sony is the DSC-S70, one of the last to include an actual zeiss lens.  these days they say zeiss but theyre really sony lenses made to his specs and not as good.  since it's only 3-4 years old, there's probably still a bunch laying about on ebay or wherever.

I know what you mean...It often produces heated debates amongst photographers,

but I like it in my S75. The Zeiss is used by neurosurgeons, plastic surgeons, et al

in their microscopes for operations so I figure that it's good enough for me ;)

Not familiar with this Johannsen woman, but I, at first,

thought you were talking about a violinist...

then I realized that it was Scarlet Rivera that I was thinking of. :P

• 4 weeks later...

CALLING ALL CARS! CALLING ALL CARS!

The Fallout Lounge has agreed to a trial run of live original jazz for the month of May. Quartet Out will be there May 4 (THIS WEDNESDAY) and May 18. Flipside Trio will be there May 11 & 25.

Let's hope that this thing can take root. All it takes is a few hours time and a few dollars spent on food and/or beverages. If any of y'll who are in the area can spare those things on one, some or all(!) of the above nights, it would be greatly appreciated.

I sure apologize for my absence last night; I had a roaring sinus headache that prevented me from driving. The bad thing is, QO’s music would’ve been the perfect antidote for the pain; driving there would’ve killed me before I got there, though!

But I’ll DEFINITELY be there next Wednesday. I gots to; I’ll be out-of-town the following Wednesday!

It was a good night. We had a good crowd (great, as always, to see Rod & Joe. al, my daughter's been having the sinus thig herself, so I feel your pain. Take care and get well, ok?) which hopefully bodes well for the future. It would be nice to get back into an ongoing situation. That's when the shit really starts to evolve and grow. We shall see...

Whatever rustiness we had last month was gone. I told a bass player friend of mine a few weeks ago that for the guys in this band, playing this music is like riding a bicycle -you might be a little wobbly if you've not ridden for a while, but it don't take much for it to come back. Last month, there were moments of wobbliness. Last night, it all came back.

You know what's really funny? Playing with Pete. I mean, this motherfucker scares the shit out of me (well, not really, but he damn sure keeps me honest, if you know what I mean). This cat tells me that I challenge him! And Dennis kicks all of us in the ass!

Tell you what - I don't care who else I get to play with in my lifetime. For 10+ years, I've been blessed with the chance to play with a band. a real band, one where there's real brotherhood at all levels. If I should die right effin' now, I'll have been blessed with that, and for that I am deeply thankful. Plenty of really gifted cats go a whole lifetime and don't get that chance.

Anyway...

Flipside Trio next Wednesday, then we're back. If the people keep coming, we get to keep playing there. simple as that!

Tell you what - I don't care who else I get to play with in my lifetime. For 10+ years, I've been blessed with the chance to play with a band. a real band, one where there's real brotherhood at all levels. If I should die right effin' now, I'll have been blessed with that, and for that I am deeply thankful. Plenty of really gifted cats go a whole lifetime and don't get that chance.

And we're blessed to have some documentation of that.

You know what's really funny? Playing with Pete. I mean, this motherfucker scares the shit out of me (well, not really, but he damn sure keeps me honest, if you know what I mean). This cat tells me that I challenge him! And Dennis kicks all of us in the ass!

Dennis kicks us ALL, even those of us just watching, in the ass!!!! :excited:

Hope yer daughter gets to feelin' better. My headache's all gone, but my wife has had this crud for two weeks now!

So, does this mean you guys are NOT playing next Wednesday? And then, not again until the 18th? I mean, I'll try and get out there next week regardless; but I'll be bummed if you guys don't play again until the 18th, as I won't be in town that night to catch it! :(

Edited by Big Al

Hey Jim, hope you keep that gig going! Quality musicmaking has taken a beating, so by all means, if you live in Dallas GO TO JIM'S GIG!!!!!! It's just a few hours that you wouldn't be watching t.v. anyway at the very least, and this is Jim's lifeblood.

As musicians, we can't keep a gig unless people come and drink and/or pay cover and keep these barowners happy. Period. Unless we keep creative music alive with an appreciative audience, we'll all be playing in crappy R&B cover bands for life.