Happy Easter!

:party:

Easter is awesome! Happy Easter! I have watched Jesus Of Nazareth, now boy do I feel holy!

Hey stay away from that stuff brother, it will do strange things to your head ;)

Che.

Yes, HAPPY EASTER!!!

I was reminded of an incident, some years ago. We were in the car just before Easter, driving along a street, and a rabbit ran in front of us.

I said, jokingly to my daughter that I wondered if that was the Easter Bunny and could I have seen him carrying an Easter basket??

She wasn't a little kid and she looked at me, distainfully and said, "Don't be ridiculous!! Don't you know that rabbits don't have an opposable thumb?"

I felt stupid, I can tell you!!! :blink::blink:

Edited by patricia

Yes, HAPPY EASTER!!!

I was reminded of an incident, some years ago. We were in the car just before Easter, driving along a street, and a rabbit ran in front of us.

I said, jokingly to my daughter that I wondered if that was the Easter Bunny and could I have seen him carrying an Easter basket??

She wasn't a little kid and she looked at me, distainfully and said, "Don't be ridiculous!! Don't you know that rabbits don't have an opposable thumb?"

I felt stupid, I can tell you!!! :blink::blink:

Reminds me of the book by Arto Paasilinna " The Year Of The Hare".

Sometimes strange things can happen.

Che.

Just came over from the Politics threads, my usual haunt. Things are feisty there, as usual, but I felt constrained from diving into the fray today...

It seems to me that we need a break today from the usual contentiousness. Good Friday through Easter is the time to meditate on death and the resurrection/redemption we hope to follow. I say that not as an ardent Christian, but as flotsam on the cultural ocean.

So much of the news lately has been about (impending) death...the war, capital punishment, assassination in Lebanon, Terry Schiavo, the Pope, a relative, a school on an Indian reservation (Lake Wobegon becomes Red Lake)...

Garrison Keillor is usually a little too precious for my taste (or politics), but he struck a chord for me personally in a column for the Minneapolis StarTribune this morning:

SAD WEEK GIVES WAY TO JOYFUL MORNING

By Garrison Keillor

It is the first Sunday after the first full moon after the spring equinox. You can sense the days lengthening on the frozen tundra and start to notice colors again. So we dye some boiled eggs pale blue and yellow and green, and put on a pink shirt and shove the ham in the oven, and head for church where, on Friday night, the choir sang, bleakly, "Father, forgive them, for they know not what they do. Into thy hands I commend my spirit" and the service ended in silence. Today, there are banks of lilies, and old ladies in big hats, and little girls in spring outfits, and the sermon will be about New Beginnings, and the force of love that drives life to triumph over death. Often it is a sermon in which the minister, trying much too hard to be profound on a high holy day, loses us in the first couple of minutes and we turn our attention to the hairstyles of the people in front of us. And we are visited by the images of the week's sad news.

The woman in the Florida hospice, unable to move or to speak for 15 years, exploited by politicians. The teenage boy with the devastated childhood who came to his high school on Monday afternoon, intent on killing.

The fate of Terri Schiavo is one that everybody over 50 has considered long ago. The particular hell of a living death is one our parents sought to avoid. They didn't ask us to suffocate them with a pillow, but they did make it clear that lying inert in a nursing home was not how they envisioned spending their twilight years. Twilight is supposed to be brief. They were crystal clear about this. The state courts of Florida, and now the federal courts, seem to be clear on this. What's not clear is the dramatic intervention of the president of the United States, striding into the White House after his last-minute flight from Texas, deciding to "err on the side of life." One hopes that he will go on to make even bigger mistakes in behalf of children who lack basic medical care, or in behalf of suicidal teenagers. All week the news was about lawyers and politicians and rhetorical flourishes and there was almost nothing about the woman herself or who she was, may she rest in peace.

The shootings at Red Lake were met at first with shock and incomprehension, a "senseless" event, but then the press went to work and dug out the story, and when you read the boy's postings from the Internet and heard about his treatment for depression, the story was quite comprehensible. This child could have been your son or mine.

Look at his words: "I have friends, but I'm basically a loner inside a group of loners. I'm excluded from anything and everything they do. I'm never invited. I don't even know why they consider me a friend or I them." Jeffrey Weise was sad, angry, sick, desperate, given to violent fantasy, but he was a person of perception: Those words "A loner inside a group of loners" and the construction of they/me and I/them mark him as a writer. Six feet tall, 250 pounds, black eye makeup, goth hair, lumbering around in a black floor-length coat, "different," but not so different that we can't recognize him as one of our own.

Easter is when Christians are obliged to ask ourselves if we really believe what we claim to believe. After all, the faith is not about the Holy Infant or about the Beatitudes or about the hushed silence within Gothic architecture, it is about the Resurrection, and if this did not in fact occur, then maybe we should find other amusements. There is nothing wrong with coming to church for the comforting aspects, the cadences of Scripture, the choral music, the lovely quiet, but it is good once a year to walk up to the tomb and see if he's still in there or not. We are not talking metaphor here. Either you believe it happened or you don't. Or you're like me and believe that God created physics and inertia is a part of physics, so stay where you are until you're struck by something with greater mass and knocked out of the box.

So here we are at Easter. I can't speak for you but to me the gospel of the Lord is what makes this sad world of March comprehensible. And it relieves us of the need to be profound about Terri or Jeffrey or the innocents at Red Lake High School who suffered his rage. We come into the Lord's house and kneel and we believe, or we don't, or we sort of do, but nonetheless we place them-all of them, along with ourselves-in the Lord's hands, and then we come out, and it's spring, or almost spring, and something else happens.

This sinner (The Groper), half-hopeful but fully-terrified of being "struck by something with greater mass and knocked out of the box" wishes everyone at Organissimo Peace and Redemption.

• 9 years later...
  • 1 year later...

And to you ALL!

Hell, I was wondering what brought all those old guys back into the forum!

It's not only Easter Sunday, but our older grandson's 21st birthday. So we're all going out for a Chinese meal this evening, taking his chocolate cake and candles with us.

I expect I'll be a stone heavier tomorrow, but it DOES only come once in a lifetime :g

MG

Congrats to your grandson and have fun, MG!

Happy Easter to you all. Mine didn't start too well, was up sick half the night. Had to cancel my plans for today. Now trying to recover with my cat on my lap. She does not mind in the least that I'm staying in today.

1 hour ago, page said:

Congrats to your grandson and have fun, MG!

Happy Easter to you all. Mine didn't start too well, was up sick half the night. Had to cancel my plans for today. Now trying to recover with my cat on my lap. She does not mind in the least that I'm staying in today.

Hope you feel better soon.

On 26-3-2016 at 4:21 PM, paul secor said:

Hope you feel better soon.

Thanks, Paul.

3 hours ago, Brad said:

I was looking at a site this morning and said the store might be closed for Easter Monday.  Is that something new.  Never heard of that before.

In Holland it is a regular Holiday. We have a second day at Christmas and at Whitsunday as well.