Favorite recent vinyl purchases??

wolff

I've been concentrating on getting some nice reissues and a few recent originals on vinyl, lately. IMO, vinyl is a long, long way from dead. Great music and a few with stunning, state of the art sound. I'm in vinyl heaven.

I get tired, at times, of buying older originals for various reasons. Thus, the concentration on reissues and new originals.

A couple that have got me glued to the couch:

Francis Albert Sinatra & Antonio Carlos Jobim (Rhino)

Nat Cole: Just One Of Those Things(S&P)

Laura Cantrell: When the Roses Bloom Again(Sundazed)

Brian Wilson: Smile

There are more, but you get the idea.

Waiting for the arrival of my first vinyl from the Eighty-Eight's label.

Also, waiting impatiently for Analogue Production's latest blues Direct To Disc LP's. I've got a feeling they are going to be something else. D2D is 2005!! Who would have thunk it??

aplpd2d006.jpgaplpd2d005.jpg

Edited by wolff

• Replies 84
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Sounds like some nice stuff, wolff!

Well I've been on a vinyl buying bonanza...I'm hooked, completely. Getting hard to listen to CDs even with my very good digital front end, a sure sign I'm a goner. That and the fact that I just upgraded from a Technics SL1200mk2 w/Ortofon cart to a Nottingham Spacedeck with Sumiko Blackbird cart!!! :g

So favorite recent vinyl purchase? There's been a few. Been spending time filling in my classic pop/rock collection and chasing down some of those classics.

WHO BY NUMBERS - an Italian RCA pressing (??? you say - but it's on very heavy vinyl and I kid you not one of the best sounding LPs in my collection)

Beatles - Whole bunch of stuff, revisiting my childhood. Various early UK Parlophone pressings (mono REVOLVER and RUBBER SOUL and PEPPER), a couple German pressings that are to die for (DIE BEATLES, a -2 matrix number pressing - this is the German version of PLEASE PLEASE ME but with much drier and better sounding mix than even the UK original pressing - and the true stereo German MAGICAL MYSTERY TOUR which is stunning). Also some Japanese Odeon red wax mono pressings from the 1980s - these were cut from the same stampers as the UK mono originals and you get the whisper quiet Aurex red vinyl. And the Toshiba Japan Pro-Use half-speed master of ABBEY ROAD which is to die for.

...and the Beach Boys - PET SOUNDS DCC 180 g vinyl is in the mail!!!

For jazz, been obsessed with the Miles - COMPLETE PLUGGED NICKEL Mosaic QLP set. It's hard to believe how badly this one smokes the CD set.

Edited by DrJ

24 bits on vinyl suck... ;)

Some great vinyl finds over the past week which have given real pleasure. Two of the Al Haig Spotlites - 'Invitation' and 'Solitaire'. Superb music, I can't recall seeing these on CD. Also a copy of the McCoy Tyner Big Band 'Uptown/Downtown' on a heavyish German pressing. Somehow I missed that one when it came out.

Edited by sidewinder

Al Haig Spotlites - 'Invitation'

I too got this the other week, I think it has been on CD quite recently but the LP sounds very good.

The same shopping trip saw me pick up McCoy Tyner 4*4 Quartets 2LP (Milsestone) - full of Tyner bombast which the vinyl carries over very well indeed and makes its all quite listenable.

Other recent vinyl high hasve been a couple of Sammy Price/ Emmett Berry LPs recorded 1955/56 in France ( one on Pathe and the other on the dubious Musidisc) - great blues drenched stuff

I get tired, at times, of buying older originals for various reasons.  Thus,  the concentration on reissues and new originals.

I like hunting older originals a lot. If the price is okay (and that could one of your reasons!) I allways prefer the original LP.

My last purchases (all are originals :P ):

• Double exposure - Joe Chambers & Larry Young (Muse)
  • Taurus - Frank Strazzeri (Revelation)
  • Ne plus ultra - Warne Marsh (Revelation)
  • Drumfusion - Chico Hamilton (w/ Charles Lloyd! / Columbia)
  • New beat bossa nova (Vol. 1 & 2) - Zoot Sims (Colpix)
  • A Flat, C Flat + C - Jusef Lateef (impulse!)

My favourite LP purchases have been new and used ECM pressings. More info here: http://www.organissimo.org/forum/index.php...533;entry332480

I had started listening to jazz 20 years ago with ECM albums by Metheny and Jarrett, then I turned away from the label to focus on US labels and 50's/60's jazz, but thanks to vinyl I have rediscovered many 70's and 80's ECM sessions.

Some Metheny and Jarrett albums I had on LP, then upgraded them to CD (I had abandonned vinyl very early in the late 80's), and now I bought them on LP again. Almost all ECM analog recordings sound better on LP. Not that the CDs are bad, but they sound somehow distant and less involving. With other labels I often prefer CDs, because of the poor pressing quality of the LPs.

I'm currently looking for mint LPs (german pressings) of the Keith Jarrett Standards Vol.1 and 2 albums (my favourite Jarrett trio recordings), but they are difficult to find.

Edited by Claude

Other recent vinyl high hasve been a couple of Sammy Price/ Emmett Berry LPs recorded 1955/56 in France ( one on Pathe and the other on the dubious Musidisc) - great blues drenched stuff

Is this the same as the Jazztone lps ?

I don't think so, Harold.

JAZZTONE was a branch of a mail-order classical music company, totally unique and is not connected at all to the ones you mentioned. When I'm foraging for vinyl, my heart actually speeds up when I spot one!!

I quite often see them on vinyl sites for up to fifty dollars, for a single disc, or more. I've picked them up for as little as a dollar at yard sales and second-hand stores, in immaculate condition. They are the old heavy LPs, although the later releases seem lighter, but not as light as the later RCA Dynagroove records, for example.

Jazztone records are treasures. They always featured the original artists and top-drawer production values, unlike the cheap compilations of pop tunes from the sixties.

What made them seem cheap, which I guess they were, comparatively speaking, at the time of their releases, was that they all have the same cover, the difference in the colour being the only one. They often came with a booklet, but the back of the cover had some of the most extensive notes, usually capsule bios of the artists, or great writeups by jazz-writers of the time about the music on the album. These are pure gold. If you see one, grab it immediately and race home and play it.

There were many little labels during the period you mentioned, but they were either the budget, or specialty labels of the big companies like Decca and RCA, or labels which were created for specific music.

Probably it would be more accurate to compare Jazztone to the boxed sets which were issued, mail-order from Longine, Reader's Digest, The Symphonic Society etc. I have quite a few JazzTones, and many of the sets, issued by the companies I mentioned. Jazztone, as far as I know, usually issued single LPs. Interestingly, the big sets of anywhere from six, to twelve discs from the other sources, boxed, from the fifties quite often are in almost mint condition. They were cheap when they were marketed and it seems as though once they were received, they were played very little. Sad for the original owner. A treasure to me. :wub:

Yesterday, Wild Bill Davison's All-Stars/Dixieland Rhythm Kings and Pee Wee Erwin and his Jazz Band at my vintage store, $6.00 each. Jazztone. Immaculate condition. The covers, really ugly orange for Wild Bill and bright lime green for Pee Wee.

Edited by patricia

If only for the track with Lucky Thompson I was well pleased to pick up in the local oxfam shop Art Blakey- Soul Finger- Limelight ( 1965 UK pressing- mono)- great track but the rest isn't really top drawer stuff.

plus soem Cootiw Williams sides ( Octet and Bigband) with a.o. Bud Powell , Eddie Vinson ....on Affinity mid 80s issue, in pretty muddy sound. Includes the first recording of Monk's Roundmidnight. Pity the sound's poor though.

Here is my day's haul. I went to a flea market at Fair Park in Dallas today. When I spotted the vinyl dealer I knew I was in trouble!

I picked out a stack of LPs that were $5 and $6 each but the dealer gave me a break; $3 each. (and all but the MJQ record are in practically mint)

I am especially pleased with the MJQ find though. I had no idea that they had ever recorded on Apple.

among my finds:

Liebman/Beirach - Forgotten Fantasies (Horizon)

The Montreaux Collection (Pablo) - 2 LPs

Dizzy Gillespie - The King of Bop (Everest) rec: NYC 1945 - 1946

"Featuring Charlie Parker, Miles, John Lewis, and Max Roach". Side one has vocals by Gil Fuller and Dizzy - plus vocals by Alice Roberts (?) Previously released material I am sure, but its hard to pass up.

The Griffith Park Collection 2 (Elektra/Musician) - 2 LPs

Art Pepper - Artworks (Galaxy)

Pete Christlieb/Warne Marsh - Apogee (WB)

Modern Jazz Quartet - Under the Jasmin Tree (Apple)

Guest akanalog

My favourite LP purchases have been new and used ECM pressings.

yeah man! ECM is the way to go. here in nyc ECMs are still undervalued price-wise. about the only jazz i can get for 3 bucks still at the decent shops. and at the WFMU record fair last year i cleaned up on the ECMs. everyone else was looking for their freddie webster style 50 dollar jobs and i was buying many ECMs for nice prices.

two days ago i picked up a nice non-ECM hadley calimans' "iapetus" sorry for any mispelling. cost 10 bucks and i think it was definitely worth it.

Lonnie Plaxico: Live at Jazz Standard (Eighty-Eight's LP)

Roy Haynes: Love Letters (Eighty-Eight's LP)

Jack Johnson: Brushfire Fairytales

Linda Thompson: Fashionably Late

Ben Harper and the Blind Boys of Alabama: There Will Be a Light

Lucinda Williams: World Without Tears

Jimmy Rogers: Blue Bird

Clark Terry & Max Roach: Friendship (Eighty-Eight's LP)

Buddy Guy: I Was Walking Through The Woods

Edited by wolff

Ran Blake Vertigo on E-Bay.

This is a live recording of Blake playing various pieces from movies. Like much of his stuff, the treatments are very spacious and interesting. The "Vertigo Suite" is chilly, and transformed well by Blake. I wish it were longer as that is such a great Hichcockian theme that added such a great mood to the movie. Same with "Rosemary's baby. Although I've seen most of the movies on the list, I'm not as familiar with the musical themes so I can't offer thoughts as to Blake's treatments. The music overall is quietly intense throughout though and recommended for fans of this type of thing (which I am).

Also, I would recommend buying it on CD if you are super fussy about ANY noise from an LP coming through. My copy is just about mint, but with the silences and space in these recordings, any extraneous sound comes through and is noticeable.

Edited by ajf67