Non-Steeplechase LPs & CDs with Tete Montoliu

EKE BBB

As a complement to the Steeplechase thread, I´m listing all the releases (78, EP, LP & CD) for which we still don´t have release date in our discography.

http://www.jazzdiscography.com/Artists/Montoliu/

I know it´s a pretty exhaustive list, but I´d be very grateful if you could take a look at it and, if you own any of these discs, help us !!!

(on this thread or via email to ekebbbapg@yahoo.es )

Tete Montoliu is the leader, unless otherwise indicated.

-RCA Victor LP 12": LPM 10317 - More Jazz At Comblain La Tour!

-Adlon EP 7": - Van Prince And Orchestra Featuring Sahib Shihab (Van Prince, ldr)

-Edigsa CD: 80.2989 - Jazz A Catalunya

-Ensayo CD: ENY-CD 3464 - Temas Latinoamericanos

-DiscMedi CD: DM BOX 18 - Tete Montoliu

Please, confirm that the date is RELEASE date (pressing/copyright date) and not recording date.

Millions of thanks in advance!

Agustín

Edited by EKE BBB

Anyone?  :(

Temas Brasilenos, the Ensayo LP is c. 1976,

Boleros, the Ensayo CD is c. 1999

Ten to Two Blues, the Ensayo CD (with Goykovich) is c. 1999

I have the French Telefunken LP (actually Ducretet-Thompson 300 TV 128) of the European All Stars 1961. No trace of copyright year on cover or labels.

That one goes under the title of MARTIAL SOLAL and the European All Stars with a color photo of Solal on its cover.

I'll add more in the next few days (hopefully!)

Edited by brownie

As a complement to the Steeplechase thread, I´m listing all the releases (78, EP, LP & CD) for which we still don´t have release date in our discography.

http://www.jazzdiscography.com/Artists/Montoliu/

I know it´s a pretty exhaustive list, but I´d be very grateful if you could take a look at it and, if you own any of these discs, help us !!!

(on this thread or via email to bhdezfdez@telefonica.net )

Tete Montoliu is the leader, unless otherwise indicated.

-RCA Victor LP 12": LPM 1422 - Jazz Flamenco (Lionel Hampton, ldr)

-Mercury LP 12": MG 20894 - Kirk In Copenhagen (Roland Kirk, ldr)

-Black Lion CD: BLCD 760212 - Body And Soul

-Contemporary LP 12": C-14004 - Lunch In L. A

Please, confirm that the date is RELEASE date (pressing/copyright date) and not recording date.

Millions of thanks in advance!

Agustín

I have the above 4 issues and here is the information I was able to glean off the issues:

1) Hampton - "Jazz Flamenco" (RCA LPM-1422) - c1957 - By the way, I see no mention of Tete on this LP, rather the pianist listed is Oscar Dennard.

2) "Kirk in Copenhagen" (Mercury SR 20894) - absolutely no mention of date on the LP jacket nor on the record label.

3) "Body and Soul" (Black Lion BLCD 760212) - c1995

4) "Lunch in L.A." (Contemporary C-14004) - c1980

(Not sure if this is of interest but my LP copy of the George Coleman-Tete duet date is on Timeless Muse TI 312, c1979. Similarly my LP copy of the "Piano for Nuria" is on PAUSA PR 7057, c1980).

1) Hampton - "Jazz Flamenco" (RCA LPM-1422) - c1957 - By the way, I see no mention of Tete on this LP, rather the pianist listed is Oscar Dennard.

Tete only plays on the quintet tracks: "Spain", "Tenderly" (his warhorse by that time) and "Toledo Blade". The rest of the disc is by the Orchestra, with Oscar Dennard on piano.

There´s also an unissued track from that session, "Embraceable you" where there´s reasonable doubt if Tete plays.

In the LP incarnations there were no mention of Tete in the credits. It was in the first CD issue when he appeared. Miquel Jurado, a very close friend of Tete and author of "Tete. Quasi autobiografía" told me Tete had assured him he played in those three above mentioned tracks. And then there´s the aural evidence, slightly more tangible (at least for my "closed" and non-trained-at-all ears) on "Tenderly", though obviously his style was merely being developed by those early years.

Are you sure your copy is the one I was asking for (Ensayo CD: ENY-CD 3473 - Boleros) and not Ensayo CD: ENY-CD 9770 - Boleros ?

I had ENY-CD 9770 and copyright date is 1999. And I had supposed the ENY-CD 3473 was the first CD incarnation (or at least a previous one), and logically earlier in time.

Ten to Two Blues, the Ensayo CD (with Goykovich) is c. 1999

Same as above:

Are you sure your copy is the one I was asking for (Ensayo CD: ENY-CD 3472) and not Ensayo CD: ENY-CD 9773 ?

I had ENY-CD 9773 and copyright date is 1999. And I had supposed the ENY-CD 3472 was the first CD incarnation (or at least a previous one), and thus earlier in time.

But I may be wrong.

Sorry for being such a pain in the ass!!! :rsmile:

Edited by EKE BBB

I have the French Telefunken LP (actually Ducretet-Thompson 300 TV 128) of the European All Stars 1961. No trace of copyright year on cover or labels.

That one goes under the title of MARTIAL SOLAL and the European All Stars with a color photo of Solal on its cover.

So, discs released by the French Telefunken are issued as "Ducretet-Thompson" ?

I think the one you mentioned is a new addition to the releases list.

It´s strange that the Spanish Telefunken EP (RCA/Telefunken TFK 13.007) with "Avertissez moi", "Am I blue?" & "That Old Devil Love", extracted from the original German LP, was issued under name of Teté [sic] Montoliu although he is not the pianist on these tracks.

So, discs released by the French Telefunken are issued as "Ducretet-Thompson" ?

I think the one you mentioned is a new addition to the releases list.

It´s strange that the Spanish Telefunken EP (RCA/Telefunken TFK 13.007) with "Avertissez moi", "Am I blue?" & "That Old Devil Love", extracted from the original German LP, was issued under name of Teté [sic] Montoliu although he is not the pianist on these tracks.

While checking our Tete Montoliu discography with the one on Miquel Jurado´s book, I see there´s some confussion in tracks/issues.

To add some light to this, could you list the tracks included in that French LP, and mark on which tracks Tete plays?

Thanks for your patience! ;)

Edited by EKE BBB

Here´s what we´re currently listing on this date:

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Date: May 21, 1961

Label: Telefunken

Arne Domnérus (as), Hans Koller (ts), Ronnie Ross (bar), Fats Sadi (vib), Franco Cerri (g), Tete Montoliu (p), Erik Amundsen (b), William Schiöpffe (d)

a.  Blue Monk  (Thelonious Monk)

Telefunken EP 7": TFR 423 - The European All Stars 1961 (1962) 

b.  Gone With The Wind  (Allie Wrubel, Herb Magidson) 

c.  Hittin' The Blues

d.  3 + 3 

All titles on: -    Telefunken LP 12": BLE 14206-P - The European All Stars 1961

Omit Arne Domnérus (as) on a, c. Hans Koller (ts) on d only. Omit Ronnie Ross (bar) on a, c. Fats Sadi (vib) on c only. Franco Cerri (g) on c only. Omit Tete Montoliu (p) on b.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Arne Domnérus (as), Hans Koller (ts), Ronnie Ross (bar), Ahmed Muvaffak 'Maffy' Falay, Dusko Goykovich (t), Albert Mangelsdorff (tb), Fats Sadi (vib), Franco Cerri (g), Tete Montoliu, Martial Solal (p), Erik Amundsen (b), William Schiöpffe (d), Monica Zetterlund (v)

a.  Haitian Fight Song  (Charles Mingus) 

b.  Avertissez-Moi

Telefunken EP 7": TFK 13.007 - Teté Montoliu European All Stars 1961 

c.  Am I Blue  (Grant Clarke, Harry Akst)

BMG CD: 74321 32989-2 - Ett Lingonris Som Satts I Cocktailglas (1995) 

d.  That Ole Devil Called Love  (Doris Fisher, Allan Roberts)

e.  High Notes  (Francy Boland)

All titles on: -     Telefunken LP 12": BLE 14206-P - The European All Stars 1961

Omit Fats Sadi (vib) on d. Tete Montoliu (p) on a only. Omit Martial Solal (p) on a. Monica Zetterlund (v) on c only.

Confirmation needed on composer of e.

Spanish Telefunken EP was issued under name of Teté [sic] Montoliu although he is not pianist on these tracks.

If you could also bring track timing, that would be simply GREEEEEEEEAT! :)

Edited by EKE BBB

Are you sure your copy is the one I was asking for (Ensayo CD: ENY-CD 3473 - Boleros) and not Ensayo CD: ENY-CD 9770 - Boleros ?

I had ENY-CD 9770 and copyright date is 1999. And I had supposed the ENY-CD 3473 was the first CD incarnation (or at least a previous one), and logically earlier in time.

The Ensayo 'Boleros' I have is ENY-CD-9770.

Here´s what we´re currently listing on this date:

Arne Domnérus (as), Hans Koller (ts), Ronnie Ross (bar), Fats Sadi (vib), Franco Cerri (g), Tete Montoliu (p), Erik Amundsen (b), William Schiöpffe (d)

a.  Blue Monk  (Thelonious Monk)

b.  Gone With The Wind  (Allie Wrubel, Herb Magidson) 

c.  Hittin' The Blues

d.  3 + 3 

All titles on: -     Telefunken LP 12": BLE 14206-P - The European All Stars 1961

Omit Arne Domnérus (as) on a, c. Hans Koller (ts) on d only. Omit Ronnie Ross (bar) on a, c. Fats Sadi (vib) on c only. Franco Cerri (g) on c only. Omit Tete Montoliu (p) on b.

Arne Domnérus (as), Hans Koller (ts), Ronnie Ross (bar), Ahmed Muvaffak 'Maffy' Falay, Dusko Goykovich (t), Albert Mangelsdorff (tb), Fats Sadi (vib), Franco Cerri (g), Tete Montoliu, Martial Solal (p), Erik Amundsen (b), William Schiöpffe (d), Monica Zetterlund (v)

a.  Haitian Fight Song  (Charles Mingus) 

b.  Avertissez-Moi

c.  Am I Blue  (Grant Clarke, Harry Akst)

BMG CD: 74321 32989-2 - Ett Lingonris Som Satts I Cocktailglas (1995) 

d.  That Ole Devil Called Love  (Doris Fisher, Allan Roberts)

e.  High Notes  (Francy Boland)

Omit Fats Sadi (vib) on d. Tete Montoliu (p) on a only. Omit Martial Solal (p) on a. Monica Zetterlund (v) on c only.

Confirmation needed on composer of e.

Spanish Telefunken EP was issued under name of Teté [sic] Montoliu although he is not pianist on these tracks.

If you could also bring track timing, that would be simply GREEEEEEEEAT! :)

Agustin, here is the track list for the - French - Telefunken LP.

Side 1:

- Haitian Fight Song, 3;23

- Gone With the Wind, 6;08

- Hittin' The Blues, 5;40

- Blue Monk, 5;11

Side 2:

- Averty, C'est Moi, 2;50

- Am I Blue, 3;25

- That Old Devil Love, 5;02

- 3+3, 6;15

- High Notes, 3;42

Francis Boland is listed as composer for High Notes (and 3+3).

Hittin' The Blues is credited to Sadi (Fats Sadi),

Averty, C'est Moi is by Solal. A typical Solal pun around French TV jazz film producer Jean-Christophe Averty's name. Avertissez-Moi means 'Let Me Know' and pronounces the same as the actual title!

Montoliu is listed as playing on 'Hittin' the Blues'. Others are Sadi on vibes, Erik Amundsen onbass, William Schlopffe on drums and Franco Cerri on guitar.

He also plays 'Blue Monk', a tria track with Amundsen and Schlopffe.

And he is also among the various players on the following tracks:

- Haitian Fightsong

- Averty, C'Est Moi

- Am I Blue

- That Old Devil Love

- High Notes

• 1 month later...

Up for another round!

The research is still alive. Some important additions (with the precious help of Hiroshi Tanno and Nils Winther, among others) have been recently obtained, though still not available in the on-line discography at Mike´s page.

Cheers,

Agustín

• 6 months later...
  • 1 month later...