JATP box set

Recently, I managed to get one.

What bright new world, what great, great music are on 10 peaces of polycarbonate! Bird, Pres, Bean, Buck "Cateye", Willie Smith, Buddy Rich... All of them rocks all the time. The music has great dynamic, remastering job is well done, consider the year of live recordings.

How many people share my opinion?

Edited by mmilovan

Oh Yeah...definitely. This is great stuff..actually I would say it's very valuable listening and place these very high in the over all scheme of things. I mean - it's the greats playing in an unfettered situation and unhampered by time restrictions. There ain't too much more like this coming down the road. MAYBE we'll get lucky here and there with occasional newly discovered releases, but that's asking a lot. these are a treasure trove of jazz.

It would be nice if verve boxed up all the later JATP recordings that they put out on LP ... dream on

Nice if they packaged them better... dream on

That JATP, jatapanese screen or,whatever it is, motif type box falls apart at the slightest motion

It's hell when the dog sits next to the book case and scratches.

As to the music, think it should be in any Jazz fans collection.. although it varies greatly in quality, often not living up to

one's expectations based on the guest list.

The high spot has to be the NKC / Les Paul exchanges

The Low spot...Tommy Turk???.. whatever became of him?

Most typical set that began to define JATP...Perdido / Mordido/Endido... great Jazz or not? .. that's your decision.. but I admit its a fascinating listening experience to hear the crowd " manipulating" the musicians, and then the Musicians " manipulating" the crowd.

Edited by P.D.

Not only is this one of the best sets I own but the book is chockful of information. It's a great book, especially with the glossary in the back.

PD, what did you meant by Tommy Turk being the low point. Surely, you jest. I love his stuff. Unfortunately, he didn't too much. I think the book gives a short bio. A while ago a Japanese cd of his was on ebay. Went for $40 or so.

Highlights: Roy Eldridge, Bird and Pres.

Lowlights: Could do without some of the Slim Gaillard stuff. Better to have it to choose than not however.

Perdido is synonomous with JATP.

We could use a JATP for the 21st century.

I got mine on ebay for about $100 and there's one right now still at a good price JATP on Ebay. I know Capitol Jazz set is good but this is one of those essential sets for any collection. It shows the transition from swing to bop and it's just a great set.

Edited by Brad

Brad, we all have our likes and dislikes but I feell Turk never got out of Per / Mor / Endido mode.. I know it's Bill Harris on those tracks, but Turk just seems to be a crowd pleaser in the most vulgar use of the expression... haven't heard much of him elsewhere.

At least the musicians on Midnight Jazz ( Perdido etc) I have heard play far less "extreme" and in my opinion, more valuable , music elswhere.

Might be fun to do a "Best and A Worst of the JATP box.....

There's 5 days left on that Ebay set... hell of a good price at the moment... no it's not mine...despite the Warts / ever collapsing box... least it doesn't make your fingers bleed. and all...I'm glad it's in my collection.

PD,

You're correct of course. We all have our different likes. Speaking of Bill Harris, did you ever hear the cd Bill Harris Live at Birdland from Baldwin Music. Strangely enough, it's got some of his Keynote material on there. Way underrated player although Mosaic helped him get some recognition with the Flip Phillips set.

If there were weak points (and any box set/album/performance has it, aint that true?), the excitement that produced 1946 session and "I Got Rhythm", "I Surrender Dear", "JATP Blues" and music made in heaven - "I've Found a New Baby", can put aside those low levels (if there are some). Terrific, some of the most important solos by Bird, Pres and Bean! How can anyone seek for anything more... Maybe you can: "Embraceable You", and the only one lasted vision of this composition played by Lester strengthen my thoughts he was true genius, alongside with Pops, Trane and Bird.

His solo borrows not a single note from original song, still it is beautiful, sublime, romantic composition, that gives me chills.

How great he was!

Edited by mmilovan

I've been on the fence over this one. It *is* expensive. If I didn't already have all of the Pres, Bird, and many other of the best individual concerts, I would take the plunge right away.

Maybe it will show up somewhere used and cheap one of these days. :g

i'm tracking that ebay auction as well but i don't want to get in a bidding war with another poster so PM me if you actually bid on it. Another box set :o Are the volumes available separately? If so, what are the ones to have?

Unfortunately not.. but in verves best tradition there was a sigle " Best Of " CD.. might still be around

And to dig up the worms there are some Definitives ( or are they Jazz Factory's)

Think they are called Lester Young at the JATP

and / or Charlie Parker at JATP

Something like that

As it's verve.. go for them... most of the key sessions no doubt will be in these.

I don't find Turk's playing crowd pleasing in his core. It can be said to Flip Fillips, but it is not bad or it won't spoil the music and excitement. Arrays of solos are often enough well balanced from honk/scream to highly self thought mode, and that array is so important. "A cool one - Charlie Parker... an exciting one - Flip Fillips..." as Granz said on some of his intros.