VSOP Quintet albums

CJ Shearn

listening to disc 2 of "Live Under the Sky", and I think that maybe not as adventurous outright as the Miles discs, they are fine documents of 70's acoustic jazz. I think the resequencing of disc 1 is a revelation for the first night concert as you can hear the progression of playing through the rainstorm. I also like "Tempest in the Colosseum" a lot too.

I have a Japanese pressing of "Five Stars" (1979 Sony/CBS ). It's short but sweet.

1.SKAGLY

2.FINGER PAINTING

3.MUTANTS ON THE BEACH

4.CIRCE

1979年作品

●Sony Records/Columbia/SRCS-7046

●Musicians●

P.Herbie Hancock

B.Ron Carter

Ds.Tony Williams

Ts.Ss.Wayne Shorter

Tp.Flh.Freddie Hubbard

I'm definitely interested in the 2 CD "Live Under the Sky" release, not only for the line-up and music, but for the circumstances as well. The fact that they were playing that sort of Jazz at that time. I'm sure it was good for them financially, but I also get the impression that there was at least some element of getting back to their collective roots.

I did a search on the Board for opinions on this album and if I remember correctly, I think the general consensus was that it was good but not outstanding. Was this a reference to the original release? Is the new re-mastering much better? Opinions would be appreciated.

Marcello,

Five Stars is one of the rare Wayne Shorter sessions I have never been able to get a hold of, although I did download 'Finger Painting' from iTunes (it's on the Herbie Sony box).

Could you be so kind as to post the timings of the four pieces, and also confirm that 'Circe' is the same Shorter composition as 'Atlantis', as I have been told?

Thanks,

Bertrand.

Could you be so kind as to post the timings of the four pieces, and also confirm that 'Circe' is the same Shorter composition as 'Atlantis', as I have been told?

I'm not sure about "Atlantis"; I'll listen to that later on line and compare. Here are the track times:

1.SKAGLY - 9:56 (Hubbard)

2.FINGER PAINTING - 6:44 (Hancock)

3.MUTANTS ON THE BEACH - 11:04 (Williams)

4.CIRCE - 4:30 (Shorter)

I have a Japanese pressing of "Five Stars" (1979 Sony/CBS ). It's short but sweet.

1.SKAGLY

2.FINGER PAINTING

3.MUTANTS ON THE BEACH

4.CIRCE

1979年作品

●Sony Records/Columbia/SRCS-7046

●Musicians●

P.Herbie Hancock

B.Ron Carter

Ds.Tony Williams

Ts.Ss.Wayne Shorter

Tp.Flh.Freddie Hubbard

I have the 5 Stars session with the same cover on LP. Recorded in Tokyo, July 29, 1979.

Didn't know this was being re-issued with different mastering and added titles. I just picked up the 2LP set of "Live" at a used store this week and from my first listen I didn't have a problem with the sound. It's a japanese Columbia LP. I haven't spent much time with it, but I liked the music.

• 17 years later...