The Gasoline Blues

I love the poeple who will drive 10 miles to save 3 cents/gallon......the amount of money someone saves hasn't changed in years.......1.50 to 1.40 or 2.50 to 2.40.......same amount.

Have you noticed all the trucks and SUVs for sale on the side of the road? I'm noticing them......

I inspect gas stations for a living and it's real interesting watching the prices fluctuate......some station owners feed the hysteria by raising their price at a whim.....the station closest to me will keep her price at what she paid....if she bought 5k gallons at 2.40, she'll keep it at the price until a new load is delivered, then it jumps up 10 cents. Her profit is 8 cents/gallon.

Station owners don't get rich selling gasoline- most I've seen is 10 cents markup at the time of delivery. Usually the price goes up and down over the past year but everything has ben going up.

I'm glad I drive a Toyota Corolla at 35-40 mpg. I commute 300 miles each week- mostly highway past farmland so 4 traffic lights at most.

• Replies 698
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The bad part of all this is that even if the Middle East is peaceful and the warloads and tribes and clans and factions all make peace and the gulf rigs resume production at twice the previous rate and new methods of getting oil from the Canadian soil proves lucrative beyond our wildest dreams gas will never be below $2.00 again. We will be so happy to see $2.25 by the time all this pans out and the oil companies will be more than happy to sell it for this price at huge profits.

Just saw this on Drudge...

GAS SCARE HITS ATLANTA

Tue Aug 2005 30 22:23:23 ET

Metro Atlanta drivers are facing the possibility of paying considerably more than $3 a gallon for gas by Labor Day -- if they can get it at all, The Atlanta Journal-Constitution is reporting Wednesday.

The two pipelines that bring gasoline and jet fuel to the region are down -- powerless to pump as Hurricane Katrina wreaked havoc on electrical infrastructure.

The metro Atlanta region generally has about a 10-day supply of gasoline in inventory, said BP spokesman Michael Kumpf. The pipelines have been down for two days.

Alpharetta, Ga.-based Colonial Pipeline Co., cut off from its suppliers on the Gulf Coast, is now pumping gas from huge storage tanks, many in Powder Springs, Ga. Whether electric power can be restored to the pipeline pumps before supplies run out is "the great uncertainty ... that hangs over all of us," said Daniel Moenter, a spokesman for Marathon Ashland Petroleum, a major supplier of metro Atlanta's fuel.

http://www.drudgereport.com/flash2.htm

The oil companies are the ones making the money- not the gas stations- unless the gas stations are owned by the major suppliers.

The Mom and Pops get a price quote for a delivery from the terminals- who are owned by the Citgo, Chevron, etc. They mark up their gas as they see fit.

The large pipelines (Transmontagne, Colonial Pipeline)supplying this area and other East Coast states originate in the Gulf area and they may be affected by Katrina.

I'm glad I drive a Toyota Corolla at 35-40 mpg. I commute 300 miles each week- mostly highway past farmland so 4 traffic lights at most.

My 93 Corolla sits in front of the house with a For Sale sign.

Gets almost the same mileage as yours - about 28-34 - and I'm hoping that someone who

can't get a hybrid will consider mine. Filled up the new Prius yesterday and it cost $35...

but I won't have to do that again for another month!

Last night, the Boston news stations were reporting on a station in Wrentham, MA that was selling 87 octane for $3.39. They were talking to people at the pumps and they were all complaining how expensive it was to drive... a couple of them were saying this as they pumped the gas into their SUV. :) BTW, one of the newscasts said that SUV sales hit a record level last month. People are still buying their SUVs.

My wife tells me that it's probably going to cost us over $600 per month this winter to heat the house at the current oil prices. We'll be feeling the pinch up here pretty badly soon. At least with my Prius, my gas budget won't break our bank.

My wife's getting tired of filling up her Sienna mini-van to the tune of almost $50 every other week. She has me looking into the Toyota Highlander hybrid. It gets 33 mpg on the highway. Not great, but better than her 99 Sienna (which gets around 18). The thing is, we can't afford one of these Highlanders. They start at $33K! Oh well, one can dream. :D

Kevin

On 8th June 2005 the average price for petrol in the UK was US$5.44 per US gallon. God knows what it is today.

I have to fill my car (Peugeot 206 diesel) up about every 450 miles. It costs me around £35-40. Thats $60-$68.

I know the difference is basically tax; but we do look a bit mystified when we watch the USA going into a tiz about the cost of fuel.

On 8th June 2005 the average price for petrol in the UK was US$5.44 per US gallon. God knows what it is today.

I have to fill my car (Peugeot 206 diesel) up about every 450 miles. It costs me around £35-40. Thats $60-$68.

I know the difference is basically tax; but we do look a bit mystified when we watch the USA going into a tiz about the cost of fuel.

Yes, this is true to a certain extent,

but I know that the way that I travel while overseas

is much different than the way that I travel in Texas.

Last month I paid €1.15/liter for fuel in Germany -

after all of the math, it comes out to about $5.33/gal -

but I only needed the car for half the time that I was there.

Two weeks of not using a car couldn't happen here in Texas

unless I was flat on my back with a herniated disc.

Big US cities have public transport that people should/could be using,

but people in, let's say, LA look at you CrAzY if you say that you're gonna walk

somewhere...even if it's just to a restaurant down the street.

Bicycles? Hell yes!

Edited by rostasi

Yes, this is true to a certain extent,

but I know that the way that I travel overseas

is much different than the way that I travel in Texas.

Last month I paid 1.15/liter for fuel in Germany -

after all of the math, it comes out to about $5.33/gal -

but I only needed the car for half the time that I was there.

Two weeks of not using a car couldn't happen here in Texas

unless I was flat on my back with a herniated disc.

Big US cities have transport that people should/could be using,

but people in, let's say, LA look at you CrAzY if you say that you're gonna walk

somewhere...even if it's just to a restaurant down the street. 

Bicycles? Hell yes!

Correct: for some countries it would be easier to spare gasoline with public transports, etc.

On the other side:

Do we really need freezing airconditioning everywhere?

Do we really need cars with an gasoline average consumptions like trucks?

Do we really need to use plastic for everything?

Do we really etc., etc...

Correct: for some countries it would be easier to spare gasoline with public transports, etc.

On the other side:

I hope that you mean "other side" in a literal sense too

'cause freezing air conditioning doesn't exist in your neck of the woods - :lol:

I'm tellin ya - I walked 10 to 15 miles a day there in July and August

and bicyclists, too, were everywhere!

When someone did drive, it was in a smaller fuel efficient car.

(There's talk of bringing the "Smart" car to the US).

I guess that there are no moms with 4 kids in Europe! ;)

On the other side:

I hope that you mean "other side" in a literal sense too

'cause freezing air conditioning doesn't exist in your neck of the woods - :lol:

I'm tellin ya - I walked 10 to 15 miles a day there in July and August

and bicyclists, too, were everywhere!

When someone did drive, it was in a smaller fuel efficient car.

(There's talk of bringing the "Smart" car to the US).

I guess that there are no moms with 4 kids in Europe! ;)

I mean that you can save gasoline in alot of ways, a part cars.

In Italy we suffered a energy black out, the whole country was without electricity for 24 hours, because of airconditioning boom. Well, it was the warmest summer of the last century...anyway if you build houses with intelligence you can save energy, gasoline, in summer and winter. I am sure you could find hundred of websites about it. The point is another: when serious enviromentalists will be something different that crazy Cassandras for the guys we have voted for?

Edited by porcy62

Here's an interesting quote I saw w/in CNN's Katrina coverage:

Consumers can expect retail gas prices to rise to $4 a gallon in the near future, Ben Brockwell, director of pricing at the Oil Price Information Service, said Wednesday. "There's no question gas will hit $4 a gallon," he said. "The question is how high will it go and how long will it last?"

I was discussing this over lunch the other day.

I said that I thought that we would hit $5.00/gal

before this administration is done with us

and the fellow I was talking to said,

"Hell, it'll be before the end of this year!"

Pure speculation of course, but what if?