Which Tony Williams BN do you like better?

Guy Berger

Which of Tony Williams's two Blue Note albums as a leader do you prefer?  

38 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

Two great albums. It's so hard to choose, I'll think about it overnight. Two thoughts:

1) This is some of the best Sam Rivers on BN that I've heard.

2) Considering how loud Tony is on the Miles albums from this period, it's interesting how low-key his playing is, at least on Spring.

Anyway, if you haven't heard these albums, they're absolutely essential if you like the more adventurous end of Blue Note in the 60s. Where else are you going to hear Shorter and Rivers playing together?

Guy

'Spring' is by far (IMO) a less complex, but no less interesting, album than it's sister disc. I feel it does flow better and Shorter's playing makes for beautiful listening alongside River's turbulent outbursts.

Even the solo drum feature is worth listening too :w

Nowhere is right. We've got a winner!

Both are fabulous records, but I think Spring has the edge. Tony's playing is so subtle and refined on this record, I'm kind of sorry he went the more aggressive route (and frankly, in his last few years, he was just too loud). The 5 minute drum solo is just fantastic. It's easy to forget it's a drum solo, there's just so much going on.

Bertrand.

I'm surprised that I'm the only vote thus far for "Life Time." I much prefer it over "Spring," as I feel the music is much more varied and colorful. I wish that Bobby Hutcherson had been on more tracks on the album, but the album is great nonetheless. "Barb's Song to the Wizard" is probably my favorite track on the album. There was a period of a few weeks last year where I played it several times a day. I've always wondered about the bass sound on that track. Is that Tony hitting the strings with his sticks? Anyone know?

"Barb's Song to the Wizard" is probably my favorite track on the album.

Wasn't 'Barb' a friend of the group, with the 'wizard' being the Prince of Darkness himself? (or so I heard).

Both great albums. And a great reminder to me to get these two out of the rack tonight. I've got NY USA original vinyls of both and they sound wonderful - the dynamics of Williams drum work is captured superbly by RVG.

Grachan Moncur's 'Some Other Stuff' has something of the same adventurous feel..

Edited by sidewinder

Guest akanalog

i like "spring" more and i would say even by the mid seventies a lot of the subtlety had gone out of tony williams playing and he did a lot of bashing. for instance on that sonny rollins album with bobby hutcherson from the early 80s-tony is bashing.

Arrgh! Still can't decide. Wayne's my favorite saxophonist but I think Sam outplays him on Spring, and I think Sam plays even better on the 1st album. Plus I think the compositions are better on the 1st album. So I guess I'm voting for Life Time. But it was difficult to choose!

It's a shame that they didn't do a repeat of this album in '69 or '70!

Guy