What Are You Watching

• Replies 5.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Oh man, best "Community" of the season!

Haven't gotten that far yet, just starting on Season 3. Easily my favorite sitcom in recent memory.

Mine is 'Big Bang Theory'. Love that show, never fails to make me laugh.

I've only seen a couple episodes of that one so far, I'll add it to "the list". Thanks!

All this talk about The Killing got me curious, I just watched the series Pilot and it was excellent. I'm looking forward to the rest of season 1.

Don't bother with the Andorran version.

Get the original!

I'm not so sure about that, Bev. Before watching the Canadian version I would have dismissed it out of hand as being unable to match the Danish original.

In all fairness, I think it stands up well although I'm sure almost everyone will disagree. Just my opinion.

I'm jesting.

I understand the commercial pressures to a) make it without subtitles and b) put it into a familiar location (less sure there - it's the unfamiliarity of the locations of these Scandinavian/French/Italian thrillers that I think has made them successful here (to say nothing of the books that spawned some of them). That's also what makes US series so intriguing over here - the unfamiliarity of location and cultural mores).

Given the excellence of so much US TV (far more ambitious than most UK TV which finds it hard to get beyond rather sentimental period drama) I'm sure the US version of 'The Killing' has been well done. It just that the need to remake the original plays into the common view outside of the USA that mainstream America is not interested in the rest of the world.

Edited by A Lark Ascending

It just that the need to remake the original plays into the common view outside of the USA that mainstream America is not interested in the rest of the world.

I would say that's most likely true of the vast majority. Americans get so much flag-waving superiority shoved down their throats from such an early age it's hard to take a "global view" of anything. Add to that the INSANE proliferation of Christianity at the expense of all reason here and you have a perfect little petrie dish of narrow-minded morons happily thinking the U.S. IS the fucking world.

It just that the need to remake the original plays into the common view outside of the USA that mainstream America is not interested in the rest of the world.

I would say that's most likely true of the vast majority. Americans get so much flag-waving superiority shoved down their throats from such an early age it's hard to take a "global view" of anything. Add to that the INSANE proliferation of Christianity at the expense of all reason here and you have a perfect little petrie dish of narrow-minded morons happily thinking the U.S. IS the fucking world.

It's not unique to the States. There are plenty of Brits who would happily fill in the Channel Tunnel, whip us out of the EC and restart the Home Guard.

Lunacy here.

We're only a hop, skip and a jump from the continent yet our non-native language skills are dreadful (and I'm just as bad on that count. Once travelled around Sweden for a fortnight with only 'Tak' to my vocabulary!).

'White Heat'

Unlike kinuta, I've enjoyed this. Lots of dramatic cliches - former flatmates meeting up to remember a wild past, a tendency to want to reference every political and cultural event of the time, the 'difficult' father-son (and father daughter) relationship. But it's kept me interested.

Yes, it's historical costume drama, but...at least there are no icebergs. Yet (I've only got to episode 3).

Based on the previews for Touch I decided not to watch it. Plus I really hate Kiefer Sutherland, so I avoid him whenever possible.

I don't hate Kiefer, but I did really see no merit in "24," but he's okay in "Touch" for me. It's a bit of a hokey set up show, but it is quite sweet in its way, showing how people are connected and showing bravery and kindness. I like it.

The Partridge Family: The Complete First Season. Danny Bonaduce & Dave Madden have to be one of the funniest tandems ever. This would get me kicked off the Hoffman site, but I like the Partridge Family more than the Monkees.

51v03PoYtKL._SL500_AA300_.jpg

PS: WTH??? Music by Benny Golson? I never realized...

Edited by Matthew