What Are You Watching

• Replies 5.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Anyone catch "Mad Men" last night? Excellent episode! I love that Don hates the 'burbs now. Who'd have thought that Ken would start writing science fiction stories? And the fight was great. I figured Lane would win, despite the difference in ages. With a father like his, he'd have to have learned how to take a few punches.

Edited by BruceH

51QXDYFQF7L._SL500_AA300_.jpg

I suspect I'm the only person in western civilisation who's never seen this. Saw some clips as part of a Geography lesson I had to teach and was utterly enthralled. So I did a rare thing and bought a DVD set.

First episode - Pole to Pole. Utterly staggering!

Edited by A Lark Ascending

I suspect I'm the only person in western civilisation who's never seen this. Saw some clips as part of a Geography lesson I had to teach and was utterly enthralled. So I did a rare thing and bought a DVD set.

Indeed. I bought that in Sheffield for about 1/4 of the Tokyo price. Since then I've watched in on NHK in HD.

The Beeb is in a class of it's own with this kind of documentary. I was also extremely impressed by 'Ganges' My link,one of the few that can match Planet Earth in fantastic photography. If you've missed it then I recommend it with the highest praise.

Edited by kinuta

Indeed. I bought that in Sheffield for about 1/4 of the Tokyo price. Since then I've watched in on NHK in HD.

The Beeb is in a class of it's own with this kind of documentary. I was also extremely impressed by 'Ganges' My link,one of the few that can match Planet Earth in fantastic photography. If you've missed it then I recommend it with the highest praise.

Thanks, kinuta. I'll keep that in mind. I've got 'Planet Earth', 'Blue Planet' and 'Frozen Planet' lined up for the next few months. But 'Ganges' looks good too.

Edited by A Lark Ascending

For fans of Mad Men, Bill Simmons' Grantland website provides regular commentary that is both insightful and amusing, After each show on Sunday night, they also publish what they call the Mad Men Power Rankings where they rate the characters in terms of their contribution to a given episode. It's worth a look. My link

Another beautiful (non BBC) set is "The Story of India." I love it. Well-researched, well-filmed, entertaining and educational and just plain gorgeous.

Sounds good. I'll keep it in mind.

I did the fresh water programme last night - loved the otters winding up crocodiles. And the piranhas stripping down a fish in seconds. Though the crocks grabbing wildebeest at the lake edge was pretty unnerving.