What Are You Watching

• Replies 5.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

'British Masters'

james-fox-blog-thumb-624x351-77649.jpg

A programme about 20thC British painting.

My knowledge of painting doesn't extend much beyond classical CD and book covers so I've found this series fascinating.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/b012lk7m

Did they mention Frank Auerbach?

Not someone I've heard of but looking him up he seems to have been born in 1931. The two episodes I've seen only get to WWII. Maybe in episode 3.

waldemar-januszczak-blog-thumb-624x351-7

Episode 1 from this BBC4 series from some time back on The Impressionists (had it stored on my recorder). Some of the visual jokes are a bit daft but this is nicely unstuffy.

Must watch more of these programmes on painting - TV is a good way of getting a sense of a period or genre.

Edited by A Lark Ascending

Bleak House BBC

home_main_619x251.jpgBleakHouse_BBC.jpg

Started rewatching this impressive classic. I've seen almost every BBC Dickens production and consider this one of the very best.

As a long time fan of British adaptations, going back to Upstairs,Downstairs (not a true adaptation, but what the hell), I agree with you. I think Bleak House was their last truly great adaptation, and probably the best Dickens they've ever done.

• 2 weeks later...

"Homeland" Season One. Loving it! I puposely didn't watch it on TV because I missed the first few episodes. I've followed Damian Lewis' career since he was on an episode of "Poirot." He just gets better.

Same with "The Following." Season One should be on DVD before the new one airs, so....

Hart Of Dixie - Season One. This show could be called "Southern Exposure" because it essentially takes the premise of Northern Exposure and relocates it to a small town in Alabama (actually, Burbank CA on a backlot, but close enough). Silly? Yes. Contrived. Yes. Overly Cutesy? Yes. Entertaining? Yes. A game cast makes it all worthwhile.

Hannibal season finale. Thank goodness this show was recently renewed. This is a Sopranos quality show imo. Never feels rushed despite the 40/41 minutes episode length. Mads Mikkelsen is the definitive screen Hannibal Lecter. I hope people will catch onto this show so it will get better ratings domestically for season 2.

Comparing Hannibal to The Following is like comparing haute cuisine to McDonalds, seriously.

I couldn't handle Hannibal, too bleak and freak show for me. (Wouldn't put it up there with Sopranos in my case, nor is Sopranos a pinnacle of TV for me, I liked it a lot, but there were aspects I really disliked).

Finishing up watching Season 5 part 1 of Breaking Bad on blu-ray (I watched all episodes on broadcast as well). Four is still my favorite season but this one is next best.

Edited by jazzbo

Watching some more of Person of Interest on blu-ray early in the morning and late at night (when I'm home). This show suffers a bit from the CBS "keep it simple" formula, but it's really a satisfying watch I must say, the most successful J. J. Abrams vehicle since LOST imo.

Watching some more of Person of Interest on blu-ray early in the morning and late at night (when I'm home). This show suffers a bit from the CBS "keep it simple" formula, but it's really a satisfying watch I must say, the most successful J. J. Abrams vehicle since LOST imo.

I read an interview with J.J. and he tries to point out that he's not as involved in the creative side of his shows as much as people expect. He basically says that he runs the production company, producers come to him to pitch ideas for shows, he just facilitates them but the majority of the creative input comes elsewhere.

That's why you see such disparity between shows like Fringe or Revolution, J.J. is writing the checks, there are others writing, producing and directing the shows.

I can understand that and actually did know that. Still, I'm surprised that I've not really liked a lot of these shows as much as I have, and Person of Interest is the one that I like the most.

Right now I'm checking out a series of shows called "What the Ancients Knew" that is very interesting (have seen the episodes about Egypt and India; there are three more to watch.)