What Are You Watching

Yesterday, I watched the first episode of season one of Luther. Some shockingly violent images of a dead golden retriever. And the killer must be the Alice mentioned above that is still alive at the end of the third season. What kind of a police drama is this? I'm curious what this will turn into.

• Replies 5.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Yesterday, I watched the first episode of season one of Luther. Some shockingly violent images of a dead golden retriever. And the killer must be the Alice mentioned above that is still alive at the end of the third season. What kind of a police drama is this? I'm curious what this will turn into.

The dog figures in the plot, erwbol. Yes, there are some violent images, kind of like in real life. The series doesn't show them gratuitously, but if there were none, it wouldn't be an honest depiction of what the characters live with every day.

Not for the squeamish or kids parked in front of the TV with no supervision, for sure.

It is very realistic, unlike many police dramas on the air. No beautiful, buxom characters, with no discernable reason to have them there. No impossible action or feats of strength or impossible in real-life scenes that require a double, no special effects, etc. etc. etc.

So, fasten your seatbelt.

Edited by patricia

No spoilers, but I really hated the series finale of Dexter.

I haven't watched Dexter since season 4.

I read a spoiler-heavy review of the finale that said it was so bad it invalidated the entire series -- and that they now regretted watching any Dexter episodes at all. Harsh...

I read a spoiler-heavy review of the finale that said it was so bad it invalidated the entire series -- and that they now regretted watching any Dexter episodes at all. Harsh...

... but true (except for regretting watching seasons 1 through 4). The last three seasons have been contrary to the Dexter character from the early seasons. Season 5 was a disappointment, but from season 6 on it was an entirely different show. Also, they didn't have a clue what to do with any of the supporting cast.

----

Now watching Citizen Khan.

Edited by erwbol

... but true (except for regretting watching seasons 1 through 4). The last three seasons have been contrary to the Dexter character from the early seasons. Season 5 was a disappointment, but from season 6 on it was an entirely different show. Also, they didn't have a clue what to do with any of the supporting cast.

----

Now watching Citizen Khan.

I agree that "Dexter" had an unsatifying ending, unlike the amazingly effective "Breaking Bad" finale.

In a sense from the moment the character got married and then they had a child and then what happened....it started invalidating the series. The last season was just one very long never mind. Outside of his still killing people there wasn't much of anything sociopathic about him for a good while. The last episode was as bad as the series finale of Sopranos and Seinfeld in my mind.

It's best run is when Erik King was playing Doakes.

Edited by Blue Train

Homeland Season 2, Blu-ray. Not as compelling as the first season.

Sleepy Hollow. I really think this is silly but what is silliest is how quickly and completely Crane has adapted to 21st Century life. Ridiculous! I do like Jada Pinkett Smith, oops I mean Nicole Beharie.

Revolution, Season 1 on Blu-ray. Pure escapist drivel but looks and sounds really good.

SNL with Bruce Willis. Not much there there.

Once Upon a Time: Neverland. I liked the first two seasons but this one hasn't grabbed me yet.

American Horror Story: Coven. A nice beginning.

Edited by jazzbo