What Are You Watching

1 hour ago, A Lark Ascending said:

p024cntq.jpg

Interesting documentary, reminding us how the standard rock narrative completely misrepresents what most people were actually listening to in the 60s/70s. Left me with no desire whatsoever to explore Kaempfert, Conniff, Last or Clayderman. But there's a place for Jimmy Webb, The Fifth Dimension, The Carpenters, Herb Albert etc in my world (not that I'd have admitted that at the time).  

912giGiQj%252BL._SL1500_.jpg

I imagine the standard reaction to this was 'Not as good as Alec Guinness' but I've never seen the latter's versions so really enjoyed this. Two things struck me outside the storyline:

1. Interesting to compare with 'Bridge of Spies' where you have a clear 'good guy' righting wrongs on behalf of the true heart of America; in the Le Carre you're in a world of complete moral neutrality. 

2. Why do they always make the 70s look so dowdy? Yes, there was political and economic unrest and uncertainty. But at the time Britain actually looked rather shiny with all this exciting new technology coming in (fridge freezers, calculators, hi-fi etc, not to mention the moon missions). It's as if film makers create the appearance of 70s from what they've seen in a junk shop or the remains or a house that has been left unaltered for 45 years. The 60s are generally portrayed very differently.  

I agree about the way the 70s are presented. Apart from anything else colourful hippie fashions only started to spread across the country (from a relatively small clique in London) in the very late 60s and well into the 70s, ie the 60s actually happened in the 70s. It's true that there was also a lot of orange, brown and beige about and maybe that tends to create a limited spectrum. My guess is that most of these recreations are put together by people who weren't even around in the 70s and that they lazily tend to copy each other in perpetuating essentially a myth.

• Replies 5.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

On 1/17/2016 at 10:11 AM, A Lark Ascending said:

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcTE3edeDdJUSFNsfKjziEE

Loved this - perfect Sunday afternoon watching. I hardly know Sondheim apart from the obvious things (not many of his pieces seem to lead a life beyond the actual musicals). But I got curious watching the 'Broadway' documentary series. Will have to rent the Seurat musical next.  

If you liked the Disney version, you may want to compare it to the videotaped version of the original Broadway cast.  It's also available on DVD and is quite excellent in its own way and there is a major plot difference since the movie version had to cut out the role of the onstage narrator who also played another important character in the show.

And have you checked out "Sweeney Todd"?  The Johnny Depp / Tim Burton version is good, but again, there is an original Broadway cast version which is quite good.  Angela Lansbury in particular was outstanding (as always).

Those are probably the two most accessible Sondheim shows.

On 1/17/2016 at 10:11 AM, A Lark Ascending said:

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcTE3edeDdJUSFNsfKjziEE

Loved this - perfect Sunday afternoon watching. I hardly know Sondheim apart from the obvious things (not many of his pieces seem to lead a life beyond the actual musicals). But I got curious watching the 'Broadway' documentary series. Will have to rent the Seurat musical next.  

If you liked the Disney version, you may want to compare it to the videotaped version of the original Broadway cast.  It's also available on DVD and is quite excellent in its own way and there is a major plot difference since the movie version had to cut out the role of the onstage narrator who also played another important character in the show.

And have you checked out "Sweeney Todd"?  The Johnny Depp / Tim Burton version is good, but again, there is an original Broadway cast version which is quite good.  Angela Lansbury in particular was outstanding (as always).

6 hours ago, duaneiac said:

Thanks for the recommendations. 

I'm actually waiting for the release next month of a 2CD overview of Sondheim (suspect it's actually a reissue) so I can get a broad feel for his music. Then I'll try some of the other shows on DVD (if I can hire them). 

7 hours ago, Jazzjet said:

I agree about the way the 70s are presented. Apart from anything else colourful hippie fashions only started to spread across the country (from a relatively small clique in London) in the very late 60s and well into the 70s, ie the 60s actually happened in the 70s. It's true that there was also a lot of orange, brown and beige about and maybe that tends to create a limited spectrum. My guess is that most of these recreations are put together by people who weren't even around in the 70s and that they lazily tend to copy each other in perpetuating essentially a myth.

I once stayed in a house overnight in Norwich which had been left by a family who'd gone to New Zealand some years before. It was like a time capsule - looked like nothing had been altered since 1975. It had the feel of those dowdy retrospective views of the 70s. But the main reason was that everything had become worn, colours had faded etc. 

Cliches stick fast. The Sixties were swinging (for most of us they weren't); the Seventies were a dull fashion disaster (although the story has been revised slightly in the last fortnight...we now know Bowie provided the one point of light). 

In fact for most people (in Britain) there was little different between both decades (as you've said before, much of the Sixties actually happened in the Seventies). In the interpretation favoured by the entertainment industry it was all about protest and Vietnam and three day weeks and unstable governments. For most people it was about getting on with your life and taking advantage of the new technology on offer and, above all, the riches that flowered from the creation of the Welfare State.  

We currently live in a country that is just as restless; but most people's everyday lives are about getting on with things. Unless you are at the sharp end of terrorist attacks or children in the military posted abroad or on the direct receiving end of the austerity cuts, all of that is largely a backdrop to your life. I wonder how they'll portray now in 30 years. I imagine the major political events will take centre stage.  

Musically, at least, it's arguable that the 80s was the last decade that was recognisably distinct in its sound and style. I find it very hard to distinguish any popular music from the 1990s and the 2000s up to date and to pin it down to a specific period. Maybe this view could be extended to social history and culture as a whole. Of course, the unknown is whether we are too close to the recent past to distinguish periods in this way. However, I recall that it was very clearcut in the 80s when you listened to music of the 60s or 50s.

I suspect those who have grown up listening to the music from the 90s and later can hear distinctiveness. I know some of the 30 somethings I used to work with pined for Brit-pop. And isn't Rap (sorry...don't know the right genre names there) a distinctive music from what preceded it. Having said that, my ears don't pick up on anything; more recent rock pop that I've enjoyed tends to relate to music of the 60s/70s. But that says more about me than the music. 

51MC0QYTPNL._SY300_.jpg

Corny but fun. I now realise what Channel 5 is for. 

The_Good_Wife_S6.jpg

Episodes 1 to 4. Read some unenthusiastic reviews of this but I've enjoyed it so far (leaving aside the improbabilities that run through all previous 5 series as well). 

Edited by A Lark Ascending

Finally able to see the first series of "Luther", have followed series 2 and 3.
MV5BNTA5ODExOTQ4M15BMl5BanBnXkFtZTcwOTc2
So watching series 1 and 4 at the same time which I'd preferably not have done, but... well am curious about series 4 and Alice there. :)
While the Luther series is extremely violent, which I don't really like, I really like Idris Elba in his role. So I try to watch it not too late to make sure I don't dream about it, lol. I've skipped some Norvegian series for that reason.

Also watching Doctor Foster series 1 which one of you did mention before. Nice series indeed. Suranne Jones is really good again in these series. "Scott and Bailey" is still one of my favourite series and I did see her on another series at the BBC which I can't recall the name of right now.
MV5BMTQ1MzU1NDk2N15BMl5BanBnXkFtZTgwOTgx

Last but not least, "London Spy",

MV5BOTg5MjYyMmYtOGRkOC00NGZlLTliYWUtYjdi
Just have seen a few episodes yet, but it is intriguing. I'm curious how this will develop.

7 hours ago, page said:

Also watching Doctor Foster series 1 which one of you did mention before. Nice series indeed. Suranne Jones is really good again in these series. "Scott and Bailey" is still one of my favourite series and I did see her on another series at the BBC which I can't recall the name of right now.

She had a walk on role in the first episode of 'Brian Pern' last week (a Spinal Tap-like spoof on Prog-rock). Not great TV but good for a few chuckles. 

Suranne Jones along with Nicola Walker will always get me watching an unfamiliar TV series. Two of the most powerful British actors on TV at present.   

I do like the not very subtle references to Genesis and Peter Gabriel...a very funny send-up of the Gabriel/Kate Bush song last week. My favourite is the manager. "You've been offered £10 million to play a personal concert for William and Kate. I told them to f.o." (not a direct quote...just his style).  

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQri8Q8mkHArMhHYA9XOCx

Before watching this I only had a 1% understanding of what happened in 2008. I now have a 5% understanding. The reviewers in The Guardian and New Statesmen were pretty snooty about it but I found it compelling. Recommended if you like muttering 'b*****ds' repeatedly under your breath (don't think I've done that since 'Bambi'). 

For the first time ever I was the only person in the cinema. Probably helps explain why it's all happening again. 

And 'Happy Valley: Series 2' arrives in a fortnight on BBC1.

4288.jpg?w=700&q=85&auto=format&sharp=10

http://www.theguardian.com/tv-and-radio/2016/jan/26/happy-valley-realistic-tv-bbc-crime-drama-second-series

If it's half as good as series 1 it'll be worth the watch. Eeee, it's grim up't North. 

Edited by A Lark Ascending

30 minutes ago, catesta said:

A Christmas gift from my wife. It was always funny to me but seems even funnier now. Richard Mulligan was a real comedic actor.

Soap - The Complete Series (Season 1, 2, 3, 4)

That was one of the funniest series ever with some great comic characters. I've just ordered Season 1 but other series are not easily available over here.

1 hour ago, jlhoots said:

I'd like to try season 1 of Happy Valley. Concerned that I won't be able to follow the dialogue due to the accents. Any thoughts??

You shouldn't have any more problem than I have following films set in The Bronx (Hebden Bridge is the UK's equivalent of The Bronx). 

p02yb2lp.jpg

Sinatra: All or Nothing at All (Part 1)

Documentary that went out over New Year on BBC4. Two great 2 hour slabs. Just watched part 1 over a couple of days. Mainly based around interviews with Sinatra and his family/associates plus a few egg-heads (warning - includes Terry Teachout who I recall is persona non grata around here).  Part 1 ends with the revival of his career with 'From Here to Eternity' and Capitol contract.

Interesting. But I wonder how independent it is. Bends over backwards to disassociate him from mob connections. I don't know enough about him to know if those connections were malicious rumour or based on evidence. Maybe part 2 will tell me more.  

On 26 January 2016 at 6:56 AM, A Lark Ascending said:

I do like the not very subtle references to Genesis and Peter Gabriel...a very funny send-up of the Gabriel/Kate Bush song last week. My favourite is the manager. "You've been offered £10 million to play a personal concert for William and Kate. I told them to f.o." (not a direct quote...just his style).  

That 'Spirit Level' song (his big solo hit) is obviously a spoof of 'Sledgehammer'. I assume that the 'Chinese Meal' protest song is a spoof of 'Biko'. Yep, the Kate Bush duet was damn funny !

Chinese Meal

Edited by sidewinder

It's quite fun just watching who turns up in bit roles. Rick Wakeman was sat on the coach in episode 1 of this series - not sure he said anything. 

And you've got to admire Peter Gabriel for joining in during the last series, given that he's the butt of most of the humour. 

Good Pern episode last night! Simon Callow wonderfully typecast. And the return of Mr Gabriel! 

Music Moguls: Masters of Pop Episode 2 - Producers

I was utterly enthralled by this. The principal talking head was Nile Rodgers and it mainly dealt with pop/rock production after I stopped listening (a bit at the start about Joe Meek, Spector and George Martin). It's knee-jerk for people of my age to grumble about factory pop but I ended up with a lot of respect for the craft of these people.

A wonderful section where Tony Visconti demonstrates how Bowie's 'Heroes' was built up layer by layer. Amazing what you never hear until it's pointed out.