What Are You Watching

• Replies 5.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Just watched Doctor Terror's House Of Horrors.  Not seen before, Tubby Hayes gets more screen time than I thought.

Earlier this week came across The Golden Disc. Features a few seconds of Phil Seamen (credited as Seamon).  Ronnie Ross is recognisable.

1 hour ago, JohnS said:

Just watched Doctor Terror's House Of Horrors.  Not seen before, Tubby Hayes gets more screen time than I thought.

Earlier this week came across The Golden Disc. Features a few seconds of Phil Seamen (credited as Seamon).  Ronnie Ross is recognisable.

I could nominate a few people for House of Horrors, but none of those would be included.

Saw the 'Dr Terror' on the box last night as well and recorded it. Great clip of the Hayes Quintet on that 'Voodoo' story. I remember when Trunk Records did that limited EP release of the music on a few hundred copies - it sold out in a flash.

Nice to see the film of Jimmy Deuchar on mellophonium - I assume that Roy Castle  wasn't actually playing on the soundtrack on trumpet, although recall that used to do trumpet in his Record Breakers 'act'. Fair bit of prominence too to Alan Ganley on the footage.

The special effects were pretty rubbish though - especially that crawling hand and the triffid. :D

I don't really care about the special effects in those movies, the actors and the overall atmosphere is what makes it for me.  I can forgive the low budget trappings if the story is engaging.  Dr. Terror's House Of Horrors was one of my favorites when I was a kid, I would watch anything with either Peter Cushing and/or Christopher Lee in it.  

That was the first of the Amicus anthology films, Asylum, Tales From The Crypt and From Beyond The Grave are also worth checking out.  That third title takes the same basic premise as Dr Terror but has Cushing as the owner of an antique store that sells cursed artifacts.  

Edited by Shawn

An amazing cast lineup in that movie - Lee, Cushing, Donald Sutherland, Michael Gough, Castle, Bernard Lee, 'Fluff' Freeman - and Tubby and co. I really enjoyed seeing it again and agree that the effects didn't hinder it too much. Amicus got a bit better in their later films in the 70s I think.

BBC 4: Music Moguls: Masters of Pop (Episode 3)

Final episode on the role of PR. Ended wondering about all my ideas of musical value - you tend to be aware of the more blatant examples of hype but as a number of commentators mentioned, PR is only working when you don't see it. Covers from the way Hendrix's image was managed to break him in the US up to Taylor Swift today. Has you thinking about not just they way that PR promotes the careers of living pop/rock performers but also the way record companies manipulate image with their back catalogues of 'classic' artists in jazz, classical, folk etc. Interesting bit on how New Labour learnt many of its promotional techniques from studying pop PR. 

Otherwise still following Deutschland 83 (remains utterly improbable though gets a nice feel for the time), War and Peace (enjoyable but, as expected, quart into a pint pot - situations that develop over many, many pages in the book pass by in seconds), Spin (enjoyable though nowhere ear as good as Spiral [must be 'Vortex' next]) and The Good Wife Series 6 (which I'm also enjoying).     

On 1/30/2016 at 6:03 PM, Shawn said:

I don't really care about the special effects in those movies, the actors and the overall atmosphere is what makes it for me.  I can forgive the low budget trappings if the story is engaging.  Dr. Terror's House Of Horrors was one of my favorites when I was a kid, I would watch anything with either Peter Cushing and/or Christopher Lee in it.  

That was the first of the Amicus anthology films, Asylum, Tales From The Crypt and From Beyond The Grave are also worth checking out.  That third title takes the same basic premise as Dr Terror but has Cushing as the owner of an antique store that sells cursed artifacts.  

I remember seeing Tales From The Crypt when it first came out. Those were the days when you got two feature films for your ticket and could go into the cinema at any point so you often saw the end of one film and sat through the whole programme so you could eventually see the beginning! Recently bought Tales From The Crypt (Joan Collins!) on DVD.

On 26-1-2016 at 7:45 AM, A Lark Ascending said:

She had a walk on role in the first episode of 'Brian Pern' last week (a Spinal Tap-like spoof on Prog-rock). Not great TV but good for a few chuckles. 

Suranne Jones along with Nicola Walker will always get me watching an unfamiliar TV series. Two of the most powerful British actors on TV at present.   

Thanks, I'll remember that one. It was a series regarding a train accident where she played someone who was at the train and helped the police in the investigation. I still can't recall and don't think I saw the entire thing.

On 29-1-2016 at 3:56 PM, jlhoots said:

London Spy - episode 2

I'm following too. I was intruiged the first episode, by episode 3 I felt horrified. Have seen 4 episodes so far, awful, awful, awful it makes me feel. Good series make you shiver, don't they?!

Saw the final episode of "Okkupert" ( Occupied) this past weekend. A political drama/thriller which was great. It takes place in Norway. I recommend it highly.MV5BMTUxNDAyMDMyM15BMl5BanBnXkFtZTgwNjMz

Before that
"Odyssey", also known as "American Odyssey". I guess that is a political drama/thriler series as well.
MV5BMjM2OTIxNTAxMV5BMl5BanBnXkFtZTgwNzY3

24322.jpg

Nice scenery and passed the time but not one I'll remember for long. 

CXJmJvfWAAAKEpV.jpg

According to family myth my parents took me to see this when I was 4 or 5 and I sang 'True Love' to anyone who would listen for months afterwards. Louis Armstrong playing jazz and Bing playing concertina clearly influenced my musical taste. Did seem to be a 'rich people are human too' apology. What rot! 

Last part of War and Peace which was very good. Apparently the series has been a huge success in Britain (except, I suspect, in the Russian Lit-er-a-tuh Department at Oxford where they've had to get the defibrillators out). In fact drama is supposedly making something of a comeback after some years where it looked as if we were going to sink under game shows, reality TV and If You Aim For The Stars You Can Be Madonna type programmes (nothing wrong with those, but, proportion please!).  

http://www.theguardian.com/media/2016/feb/06/broadcasters-big-budget-tv-boom-drama-bbc-itv

Nice review here in the great British tradition of taking the p**s out of excessive intellectualism:

http://www.theguardian.com/tv-and-radio/tvandradioblog/2016/feb/07/war-and-peace-recap-episode-six-bows-out-with-a-bonkers-prisoner-beard

Edited by A Lark Ascending

2 hours ago, A Lark Ascending said:

I most certainly am - have the monster packs of pork scratchings and Vimto in already.

Well guys - I'm finally starting season one of Happy Valley.

23 minutes ago, jlhoots said:

BTW, what's the best flavor of "fizzy" Vimto? Apparently it is sold in the USA.

3 hours ago, jlhoots said:

BTW, what's the best flavor of "fizzy" Vimto? Apparently it is sold in the USA.

I'll leave the definitive answer to the more informed Bev, but I'd be aghast at any other flavour than the original bottled cordial.

http://www.ehaveall.com/image/cache/data/Groceries/vimto-800x800.jpg

9 hours ago, kinuta said:

I'll leave the definitive answer to the more informed Bev, but I'd be aghast at any other flavour than the original bottled cordial.

http://www.ehaveall.com/image/cache/data/Groceries/vimto-800x800.jpg

Never drunk the stuff, I'm afraid. Don't ever recall seeing it to be honest - I only know about it from a couple of northern friends at (a southern) university in the mid-70s who used to bring bottles back after their return from the wilderness for holidays. I don't do Sellafield peas with mint sauce either!