What Are You Watching

2 hours ago, A Lark Ascending said:

At the local cinema (audience of 3! 

Reminds me of skiving off school (1st and only time) back in the mid 1970s to see a Monty Python movie. There were four of us in the audience - and one of them was the archetypical old guy in a dirty mac sat at the back..:D

Edited by sidewinder

• Replies 5.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

11 hours ago, sidewinder said:

Reminds me of skiving off school (1st and only time) back in the mid 1970s to see a Monty Python movie. There were four of us in the audience - and one of them was the archetypical old guy in a dirty mac sat at the back..:D

No macs yesterday. Just sensible pensioner clothes. 

A few weeks back I was the only one in the cinema for a film. That was weird.

The advantage with these afternoon codger sessions is you don't get overwhelmed with the smell of popcorn.  

[I never skived off school (or 'wagged it' as kids in west Notts would put it)...even as a teacher! (the Daily Mail would say otherwise re: all those long holidays, strikes etc)]

Edited by A Lark Ascending

14 hours ago, A Lark Ascending said:

No macs yesterday. Just sensible pensioner clothes. 

A few weeks back I was the only one in the cinema for a film. That was weird.

The advantage with these afternoon codger sessions is you don't get overwhelmed with the smell of popcorn.  

[I never skived off school (or 'wagged it' as kids in west Notts would put it)...even as a teacher! (the Daily Mail would say otherwise re: all those long holidays, strikes etc)]

A bit of vernacular that's survived more than 50 years of usage. We used to 'wag school' back in the dark ages of the late fifties.

9 hours ago, kinuta said:

A bit of vernacular that's survived more than 50 years of usage. We used to 'wag school' back in the dark ages of the late fifties.

But quite localised. I knew someone who taught in Eastwood, about ten miles away from my school, and he'd never heard the term. Must have drifted down from Sheffield. 

Watched the last 'One Child' last night. Some improbable plot lines but it avoided the easy ending.

And I'm loving "The Renaissance Unchained" - not having any training in the world of painting I'm often not sure what I'm looking at, especially with pre-19thC pictures. This is a wonderful primer, drawing you into the details and explaining some of the symbolism. Never knew that all the story lines attributed to Mary Magdalene aren't in the Bible - she's a portmanteau of a bunch of different Marys.  Waldemar Januszczak's blokish delivery will drive some people nuts...but I prefer it to the usual cut-glass Oxbridge type they usually employ for such things. I love this quote from him: 

“The BBC has a lot to answer for,” Januszczak told Radio Times. “They’ve helped create this image that art is a kind of homework, that needs to do you good.” He added: “I hate that art isn’t really popular on television, it really annoys me. You get some bloke talking about frogs in the Amazon and there will be a million and a half watching every time. People would rather see frogs shagging in the Amazon than a great Raphael. Why is that?”

I think he's being a bit harsh there...I've seen a fair few 'art' programmes in recent years done by down-to-earth chaps and chapesses. Just as long as its not bloody Portillo (I'm dreading Ian Duncan Smith's 'World of Art' in a few years, though perhaps 'Boris stands in front of Paintings' is more likely!). 

Oh, and very good news...'Line of Duty' series three is due very soon...the Beeb are starting to plug it between programmes. One of the best police series of recent years. 

Edited by A Lark Ascending

36 minutes ago, jazzbo said:

The Americans, Season 3--re-watching the season on DVD. No idea why this show doesn't get awards, it's quality TV.

The 100, latest episode. Weird show, "teenybopper" in a lot of ways but hardcore science fiction, and I like it.

I like The Americans too. Just watched the 1st 2 episodes of season 3.

10 hours ago, A Lark Ascending said:

I think he's being a bit harsh there...I've seen a fair few 'art' programmes in recent years done by down-to-earth chaps and chapesses. Just as long as its not bloody Portillo (I'm dreading Ian Duncan Smith's 'World of Art' in a few years, though perhaps 'Boris stands in front of Paintings' is more likely!). 

I think 'Boris stands in front of Paintings' would be counter-productive as the size of his privileged, over-fed body would obscure the view. Even the bigger canvases.

25 minutes ago, Jazzjet said:

I think 'Boris stands in front of Paintings' would be counter-productive as the size of his privileged, over-fed body would obscure the view. Even the bigger canvases.

I don't think the paintings would be the point. 

Just watched this:

CblLdMTUkAASLUb.jpg

Very interesting. Relieved to know that what I used to teach A Level kids wasn't that far from the mark. 

p01h92hh.jpg

The Crusades (BBC4 Three Part series)

An interesting if a bit ordinary documentary covering the First, Third and Seventh Crusades. Found the last part most interesting as I knew nothing about the Seventh Crusade or the subsequent defeat of the Mongols by the Mamluks prior to wiping out the last crusader kingdoms.

Suffered like a lot of pre-modern history programmes from deciding what to show on screen given the dearth of visual evidence - some lovely illuminated manuscript pictures and plenty of crumbling castles and (not so crumbling) abbeys but did the usual thing of having the presenter jet setting round the world to stand in front of contemporary Cairo, Jerusalem or Paris and try to find vague connections between the scene and the narrative (lots of mysterious ladies at windows whenever whores were mentioned; a description of a massacre with a group of chaps playing cards in a cafe!). 

Standard paste in library music - the expected Gregorian Chant and Arabic music but some strange choices of Romantic classical music at points of high drama - Finlandia at one point! Sorry, going all train spotter - 'I say, in episode 12 of Downton Abbey, supposedly set in the 1920s, it showed a Mark 3 doubled boggied guards wagon; everyone knows these were not introduced until 1933.'  

663098-250.gif

Had much the same reaction to this as I had to 'Inside Llewyn Davis'. Thin plot line, didn't really get the jokes, seemed to lean too heavily on knowing references to old movies and pastiche reconstructions. Probably means more to people really up on their Hollywood.

Not a big draw in North Notts on a cold March afternoon - had the theatre entirely to myself.  

New series on Canvas: Follow the money. A Danish series about an energy company. First episodes were promising.

On 9-3-2016 at 3:13 PM, paul secor said:

I like them too, but I'll have to take a break. Dark stuff.

Mind the tune. The singer especially wrote that tune about the subject of Alzheimer and they chose her tune to accompany the series. I think it is a stunning tune, it made me cry. Series 3 was really wonderful, I can tell you.