What Are You Watching

9 hours ago, page said:

I've watched it too. Somehow I directly knew it was about this subject. Probably because I was a teacher before. I've had a few pupils suffering this and it can be tough to deal with for the child as well as his surroundings. It can be handled though, I'll probably keep watching this since it is a subject of my interest.

I never had any training re: autism/asperger's. I got in a terrible fix with a student who had wound one of my staff up repeatedly, handled it wrong and ended up with the mother coming in looking for blood from the teacher, me and the school. Fortunately, we talked the situation down and I got my training from the mother who was able to explain what her son couldn't process and the best way of handling him when he became unresponsive. He was never easy - I spent many an hour talking him down after he'd been upset by teachers or students - but we got a relationship and steered him to success in his exams. 

There's lots of discussion in the UK press as to how realistic this portrayal is but if nothing else it widens general awareness of something that is not widely understood. Popular TV can be a powerful medium for that sort of education. 

• Replies 5.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

6 hours ago, A Lark Ascending said:

I never had any training re: autism/asperger's. I got in a terrible fix with a student who had wound one of my staff up repeatedly, handled it wrong and ended up with the mother coming in looking for blood from the teacher, me and the school. Fortunately, we talked the situation down and I got my training from the mother who was able to explain what her son couldn't process and the best way of handling him when he became unresponsive. He was never easy - I spent many an hour talking him down after he'd been upset by teachers or students - but we got a relationship and steered him to success in his exams. 

There's lots of discussion in the UK press as to how realistic this portrayal is but if nothing else it widens general awareness of something that is not widely understood. Popular TV can be a powerful medium for that sort of education. 

Good to hear that you and the mother were able to talk this out and work together. All too often, at least from what I read, parents and schools go to war with each other rather than working for the benefit of the children.

Currently watching 3 different series, alternating episodes to keep things interesting.  

Les Revenants (The Returned) - Season 2.  Just as wonderfully moody as the first series.  

Daredevil - Season 2. 

Elementary - Season 4.  Just started the current season (via the CBS streaming site) and loving the addition of John Noble as Sherlock's father.  

220px-High_Rise_2014_Film_Poster.jpg

Ballard had a strange way of looking at the world. Interesting film though I couldn't help but notice the irony of a satire on the dangers of social inequality being played by the cream of our public school educated actors. Quite disorienting to see Irons and Hiddleston together only a couple of days after watching them as Henry IV and Prince Hal.

2216.jpg

I recall seeing a few very good Chinese historical films many years ago. After watching Michael Wood's 'The Story of China' series I thought I'd investigate a little of what is out there.

This one is based around the mid 19thC Taiping Rebellion. Didn't really take to it - all a bit kung fu. Lots of lightning sword moves, indestructible heroes (until they turn on one another) and endless flash shots of gory puncture wounds. Heroes emerge unscathed apart from the central figure who wanders off one battlefield with a grin on his face and a bloody great spear in his shoulder. Thin plot of brotherly unity shattered by differing ambitions and mutual suspicion.

None of the complexity or depth of character you get in 'Ran' (I know, Japanese).   

Edited by A Lark Ascending

Ah, I'm almost afraid to ask which BBC channel? I might not be able to watch it when I don't have the channel. I did notice I can watch "Last tango in Halifax" now, but it is series 3, so would I be able to get into it while missing the first 2 series?
Happy Valley series 2 already on too, so I will be able to watch that episode I've missed last time. Scott & Bailey is on too, not a new series though, I've already seen it either on belgium tv or the BBC or it is a rerun I can't remember where I've seen it. So which series is it, 5?

Edited by page

Great. Thanks for the heads up on the new season of Scott & Bailey. It's on ITV, page, starting this Saturday.

I enjoyed the first episode of Marcella very much. Another tough but flawed woman cop, stylishly photographed with multistranded plot.

Just my cup of tea.

http://assets.whatsontv.co.uk/whatsontv/live/styles/large/s3/images/2016/03/Marcella.jpg

S&B goes out next Wednesday in the UK. It's series 5. 

20 hours ago, kinuta said:

Great. Thanks for the heads up on the new season of Scott & Bailey. It's on ITV, page, starting this Saturday.

I enjoyed the first episode of Marcella very much. Another tough but flawed woman cop, stylishly photographed with multistranded plot.

Just my cup of tea.

http://assets.whatsontv.co.uk/whatsontv/live/styles/large/s3/images/2016/03/Marcella.jpg

I have Marcella recording to watch later. There is so much good TV on at present I'm a bit swamped as I can't manage more than a couple of hours a day. 

Watched the third episode of 'The A Word' last night - I'm really touched by this series. The little boy who plays the key character is brilliant - it is beyond me how you get child actors to perform so naturally. Equally compelling - and recognisable from real family life! - are the tensions and jealousies of his family. A gently humorous series with more than one serious message.   

Billions

http://www.ew.com/sites/default/files/1456087538/billions-01.jpg

I was put off by the title but finally got round to giving it a try.

I think I made the correct decision as it's a very interesting, well filmed tale of a super rich investor, whose wealth seems to come from dubious business methods, and the driven public prosecutor out for his scalp. Greatly helped by a fine pair of lead actors and treated quite seriously, belying the slightly flippant title.

There seem to be so many excellent tv shows around recently. There might be some truth to the idea that we are in a golden age of sorts. I'm certainly spending as much time watching tv shows as films these days.

Edited by kinuta

20 hours ago, kinuta said:

...tale of a super rich investor, whose wealth seems to come from dubious business methods, and the driven public prosecutor out for his scalp.

Are you sure you weren't watching the news? 

91XuCbyeSXL._SY445_.jpg

Finished this set last night. A wonderful...if very disturbing...series. As I remember the first two series had linked double episodes; in this one the storyline stretched over all six episodes. Beautiful landscape...the weather was remarkably kind compared with the earlier series. 

Don't get the DVD box. ITV as seen on BBC? I watched it via BBC. Creeping Whittingdalisation, I expect.  

This afternoon:

_88264427_drgavinhughesandprofessoralice

Ireland's Treasures Uncovered

With my new favourite TV historian (though I think she's a scientist), Dr. Alice Roberts. So calm! Not just a chance to look at precious historical artefacts but also coverage of they way they have been used over the centuries to construct Celtic, Irish and Catholic/Protestant identities)...not to mention British cultural plundering.  

51Zps7wo9PL._SY445_.jpg

Really enjoyed this (encouraged to watch it after reading some praise on this board). I thought they handled the tale with great sensitivity and without over-sensationalising Wilson's troubles. The music, of course, was glorious. Very odd watching Pierre from 'War and Peace' in a 20thC recording studio.   

Thicker Than Water

http://www.radiotimes.com/uploads/images/Original/101276.jpg

The latest Scandisoap from Sweden is entertaining and more-ish but very clearly patterned on The Legacy.

Sibling rivalry runs amok in the wake of the will reading.

Cunning old mum has decided to test the mettle of the unruly, self absorbed offspring.

On 2016/4/10 at 3:10 PM, A Lark Ascending said:

51Zps7wo9PL._SY445_.jpg

Really enjoyed this (encouraged to watch it after reading some praise on this board). I thought they handled the tale with great sensitivity and without over-sensationalising Wilson's troubles. The music, of course, was glorious. Very odd watching Pierre from 'War and Peace' in a 20thC recording studio.   

Spiffingly good, especially Paul Dano.

Edited by kinuta

Continuing to enjoy several currently running series - 'The A Word', 'Marcella', 'Line of Duty'. Started 'Scott & Bailey' last night which I really enjoyed - Suranne Jones makes the poacher turns gamekeeper mistake of many entering middle management. 'Blue Eyes' I nearly gave up on after two episodes but it grabbed me in episode 3 and I'm with it to episode 5 now (5 to go) - crime drama set in the murky world of right-wing extremism in Sweden. 

Also a couple of historical documentaries on Captain Cook and Anglo Saxon Art. There's also a light hearted series on BBC4 covering the pop music of Britain over the last 70 years or so using the memorabilia of enthusiasts...amazing what people collect. First one covered 1955-65 with Twiggy giving a down to earth wander through. 

16 hours ago, A Lark Ascending said:

Continuing to enjoy several currently running series - 'The A Word', 'Marcella', 'Line of Duty'. Started 'Scott & Bailey' last night which I really enjoyed - Suranne Jones makes the poacher turns gamekeeper mistake of many entering middle management. 'Blue Eyes' I nearly gave up on after two episodes but it grabbed me in episode 3 and I'm with it to episode 5 now (5 to go) - crime drama set in the murky world of right-wing extremism in Sweden. 

Also a couple of historical documentaries on Captain Cook and Anglo Saxon Art. There's also a light hearted series on BBC4 covering the pop music of Britain over the last 70 years or so using the memorabilia of enthusiasts...amazing what people collect. First one covered 1955-65 with Twiggy giving a down to earth wander through. 

'Blue Eyes' is developing nicely, as is 'Follow The Money (on BBC 4). Both from Swedish TV I believe. There's also a promising looking French series on the Walter Presents strand called 'Mafiosa", set in Corsica. I think it's on demand via the All4 hub rather than on More4 as other Walter Presents offerings have been.