What Are You Watching

9 hours ago, Jazzjet said:

'Blue Eyes' is developing nicely, as is 'Follow The Money (on BBC 4). Both from Swedish TV I believe. There's also a promising looking French series on the Walter Presents strand called 'Mafiosa", set in Corsica. I think it's on demand via the All4 hub rather than on More4 as other Walter Presents offerings have been.

I have 'Follow the Money' recording - too much else to see at present. Stored up for thinner times. Still haven't got round to the Icelandic one from a few weeks back. 

• Replies 5.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

14 hours ago, jlhoots said:

The Night Manager - episode 1, excellent IMHO.

It got very good reviews over here (and I loved it). Also fed into a wider debate about how public school* types are coming to dominate film, theatre, popular music and sport, given that three of the main players went to the same posh school. Provoked a wonderful comment from the comedian Alexi Sayle - "even the fourth generic Middle Eastern terrorist sounded like he'd been to Balliol."

* Public school in Britain means a school that is anything but public - fee-paying. 

Edited by A Lark Ascending

On 4/18/2016 at 1:31 PM, A Lark Ascending said:
On 4/18/2016 at 4:31 AM, Jazzjet said:

'Blue Eyes' is developing nicely, as is 'Follow The Money (on BBC 4). Both from Swedish TV I believe. There's also a promising looking French series on the Walter Presents strand called 'Mafiosa", set in Corsica. I think it's on demand via the All4 hub rather than on More4 as other Walter Presents offerings have been.

you guys get these shows in britain with subtitles?

13 hours ago, l p said:

in the u.s., it's impossible to find european tv shows with subtitles, unless they've had a u.s. dvd release - which almost never happens.

These things don't tend to be on the main channels (despite the huge increase in choice from satellite, online etc, BBC1 and ITV1 still have a strong presence as the main TV channels). There have always been foreign language programmes and films on UK TV but generally tucked away late at night. BBC4 (a channel that carries 'arts', history etc programmes) started showing Scandinavian and Italian thriller series at prime time about five years back and it really caught on with part of the audience - Saturday night has virtually become subtitle night on that channel. 'Walter Presents' has recently emerged as a platform for such dramas. 

Watching subtitled drama gets mocked a bit as a middle class affectation (a bit like listening to jazz, classical or folk!). But I wonder if the success of things like 'The Killing', 'The Bridge' and 'Borgen' have made the BBC and ITV up their game in the drama department. There seems to have been a remarkable improvement in quality in the last few years and the BBC in particular are making a big thing about their commitment to drama (though that is also tied in with their fight with the Tory government who want to kneecap the BBC on behalf of their paymasters in the right wing media).   

10 hours ago, A Lark Ascending said:

These things don't tend to be on the main channels (despite the huge increase in choice from satellite, online etc, BBC1 and ITV1 still have a strong presence as the main TV channels). There have always been foreign language programmes and films on UK TV but generally tucked away late at night. BBC4 (a channel that carries 'arts', history etc programmes) started showing Scandinavian and Italian thriller series at prime time about five years back and it really caught on with part of the audience - Saturday night has virtually become subtitle night on that channel. 'Walter Presents' has recently emerged as a platform for such dramas. 

Watching subtitled drama gets mocked a bit as a middle class affectation (a bit like listening to jazz, classical or folk!). But I wonder if the success of things like 'The Killing', 'The Bridge' and 'Borgen' have made the BBC and ITV up their game in the drama department. There seems to have been a remarkable improvement in quality in the last few years and the BBC in particular are making a big thing about their commitment to drama (though that is also tied in with their fight with the Tory government who want to kneecap the BBC on behalf of their paymasters in the right wing media).   

Not to mention that the writer of current ITV hit 'Marcella' is Hans Rosenfeldt, who also wrote Scandi hit series 'The Bridge'. A real indication of how top class Scandinavian drama has started to influence mainstream TV.

36 minutes ago, Jazzjet said:

Not to mention that the writer of current ITV hit 'Marcella' is Hans Rosenfeldt, who also wrote Scandi hit series 'The Bridge'. A real indication of how top class Scandinavian drama has started to influence mainstream TV.

Didn't know that. Will have to look out for jumpers. 

13 hours ago, A Lark Ascending said:

i did a web search yesterday to see if maybe i can watch european subtitled tv shows on british tv websites (bbc, etc), but i came up with nothing.

On 4/21/2016 at 8:12 PM, l p said:

i did a web search yesterday to see if maybe i can watch european subtitled tv shows on british tv websites (bbc, etc), but i came up with nothing.

You can pick up most BBC/ITV radio and TV on BBC/ITV websites for a period after broadcast (usually 30 days for TV, 7 for radio) but I don't think you can get these beyond Britain. They want to be able to sell the content they've invested in worldwide understandably (in the BBC's case it is paid for by a license all TV owners have to buy so making it free to the world would cause problems...well, is causing problems as I believe there are illegal ways of getting access and I don't think the issue of people watching on computers rather than by TV sets has been resolved within Britain. The current government would love to sweep away the license fee completely (which every TV owner pays even if they never watch BBC) and open it up to the 'discipline' of the commercial free market). 

Last night an absolutely edge of seat penultimate episode of 'Line of Duty' - had that 'do I have to wait a week?' feeling at the end.

I've also got back in to watching 'Question Time' - it was always on too late when I was working. Now I'm wide awake for it. Find myself turning into my dad, screaming at the Tories and Britexiteers. Great fun!    

The O.C. (2003 - 2007)

9124ACJTb5L._SX342_.jpg

Frothy, self-aware soap opera nonsense with an above-average cast.  The tone is similar to Veronica Mars which came out the following year.  

Trivia:  I'm almost finished with season 1 and I find it amusing that the only scenes actually filmed in Orange County are second-unit helicopter shots, everything else is filmed around Malibu, Santa Monica, Marina Del Rey, Manhattan Beach and Brentwood...all firmly within L.A. county.  

I used to watch that on broadcast because Helen was a fan. It wasn't too bad. . . and that was the first place I saw Melinda Clarke, who isn't a bad TV villainess.

Watched last night's Scandal, The Catch and The 100 today before I got busy.. . hope to get to Vikings tonight.

44 minutes ago, jazzbo said:

I used to watch that on broadcast because Helen was a fan. It wasn't too bad. . . and that was the first place I saw Melinda Clarke, who isn't a bad TV villainess.

Watched last night's Scandal, The Catch and The 100 today before I got busy.. . hope to get to Vikings tonight.

Alan Dale (Charles Widmore on LOST) is also a regular cast member.   

1 hour ago, jazzbo said:

Yes I know she'd done some work along those lines. Haven't seen them.

I'm watching "Spy" with Melissa McCartney, Jason Stratham and Rose Byrne. Nicely done.

Spy was cute, I enjoyed it.  Byrne has morphed into quite the comedienne.  

On 18-4-2016 at 7:31 PM, A Lark Ascending said:

I have 'Follow the Money' recording - too much else to see at present. Stored up for thinner times. Still haven't got round to the Icelandic one from a few weeks back. 

'Follow the money' is really, really good, I can tell you. This 'Icelandic' one is that the one with Christopher Eccleston? I've really enjoyed his acting in "Black out" and other series. Now he's in "the A word" too. I think he's a fine actor.