What Are You Watching

On 6/19/2016 at 0:37 PM, Shawn said:

81VDbmn2hfL._SX342_.jpg

Been a long time since I sat down and watched this series.  I decided to watch the original versions instead of the ones with redone FX, that's the way I remember them and it satisfies the nostalgic element.  I don't think I've ever actually watched the series in sequence, grew up seeing it on reruns on TV, so it should be an interesting trip.

Hah!  I just watched A Piece of the Action last night.

Also finished up season two of Bosch.  I enjoyed it except for that pain-in-the-ass kid.  Hmmm.  I had the same complaint about a movie a bit ago.  Maybe I just can't stand teenagers anymore.  And here I am with no lawn...

What else is worth watching on Amazon (of their original stuff, I mean)?  Man in the High Castle is on my list, of course.  Anything else recommended?

• Replies 5.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

11 hours ago, Jazzmoose said:

Also finished up season two of Bosch.  I enjoyed it except for that pain-in-the-ass kid.  Hmmm.  I had the same complaint about a movie a bit ago.  Maybe I just can't stand teenagers anymore.  And here I am with no lawn...

What else is worth watching on Amazon (of their original stuff, I mean)?  Man in the High Castle is on my list, of course.  Anything else recommended?

I would strongly recommend 'Mr Robot'. Also, 'Halt and Catch Fire' is pretty good. The subject matter - the early 80s computer industry - may sound unpromising but it's hooked me so far. On the comedy front there's 'Transparent' if you're in the market for a modern transgender sitcom.

18 hours ago, Jazzmoose said:

Not original, but Prime does have some exclusive stuff you won't find on other services.  If you have a strong stomach I can highly recommend the series "Hannibal" which takes the pulp origins and elevates them into art, they have the first 2 seasons so far, the final season should be added very soon.  

4 hours ago, Shawn said:

Not original, but Prime does have some exclusive stuff you won't find on other services.  If you have a strong stomach I can highly recommend the series "Hannibal" which takes the pulp origins and elevates them into art, they have the first 2 seasons so far, the final season should be added very soon.  

I didn't especially like The Man In The High Castle or Mr Robot.

Halt & Catch Fire was quite good though.

15 hours ago, Jazzjet said:

I would strongly recommend 'Mr Robot'. Also, 'Halt and Catch Fire' is pretty good. The subject matter - the early 80s computer industry - may sound unpromising but it's hooked me so far. On the comedy front there's 'Transparent' if you're in the market for a modern transgender sitcom.

Actually, it sounds very interesting to me-I was a tech in silicon valley at the time. 

I was hoping Mr. Robot would be recommended; it caught my eye.

51AWPmWDRTL.jpg

Series 1 1 (watched off the TV). Very good survey from the Stone Age to the Bronze Age. I used to be really into this period but haven't paid much attention for many years - this series brought it all back. Neil Oliver does like to strike 'Holding Out For A Hero' postures on windswept cliffs but he's an engaging presenter (still prefer Dr Alice Roberts). Spectacular photography of some beautiful places.  

645b2fa819a4b27bfc4dad241f4aa983_small.j

Just watched the first episode (the pilot, I think) of this. Not completely convinced...the woman had a rather 'KGB-indoctrinated robot as viewed from the USA' about her. But it probably needs time to settle into something more nuanced. 

6 hours ago, A Lark Ascending said:

645b2fa819a4b27bfc4dad241f4aa983_small.j

Just watched the first episode (the pilot, I think) of this. Not completely convinced...the woman had a rather 'KGB-indoctrinated robot as viewed from the USA' about her. But it probably needs time to settle into something more nuanced.

I think it's worth sticking with it for a while.  I've been impressed by the stories and the acting, which gets more nuanced.

1 hour ago, jazzbo said:

That makes me three to say: don't give up. It's one of my favorite shows now active (one more season to go).

the-americans1.jpg?crop=0px%2C0px%2C791p

I have read that there will be two more seasons of The Americans -- a 13-episode season five in 2017 and a sixth and final 10-episode season in 2018.

I think Season 4, which just ended, was the best season so far.

Thanks for the encouragement to continue - definitely intend to. I remember not being too excited by the first episode of 'The Good Wife'. These things need time to develop. 

'The Americans' has had some very enthusiastic reviews from places like 'The Guardian' - I don't think it's taken off here in the way TGW, House of Cards and Mad Men did. 

On June 22, 2016 at 11:11 PM, Jazzmoose said:

Actually, it sounds very interesting to me-I was a tech in silicon valley at the time. 

I was hoping Mr. Robot would be recommended; it caught my eye.

It's extremely popular and has gotten excellent reviews, I think you should give it a shot and make up your own mind.  

Finally got to The Beatles Anthology DVD set this weekend, we did.  Very impressive, very satisfying, not "complete" in any way, but it seems like this is their story as that want it known, namely, as a band. Even when it went bad, still a band. Works for me. I still hear people talking bitterly about all-hype, no-talent, couldn't play shit,etc etc etc, and ok, whatever, you stake those claims, but hey - band. Learn what that really means and then we can talk about that other shit.