What Are You Watching

I won't go so far as to say the final GOT season was a complete disaster but looking back on it and especially the final episode, it most definitely felt rushed and was a bit sloppy.

I agree with the point that taking Jon prisoner after killing their Queen seemed ridiculous, considering Grey Worm was slitting prisoner throats a few hours before for just fighting for the other side.

Who the hell summoned the Lords and Ladies? Grey Worm had those kinds of connections?

And yeah, how did they rebuild that ice wall so fast and why they hell do they even need it now?

And.....

• Replies 5.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Part of the problem is that the show had outrun the books. Martin has been working on the next to last book in the series for 8 years (Robert Caro territory); he has been involved in other projects which have probably contributed to the delay. However, he implied on his website today that it should be out in 2020. He won’t start on the last one until he’s done with this one, which makes sense. 

Edited by Brad

1 hour ago, catesta said:

I'm nearing a complete re-watch of Mad Men with just a few episodes of Season 7 left.

I rewatched the entire series ( in Blu Ray) earlier this year too. It was richly rewarding.

Years And Years  BBC episode two

Image result for years and years bbc

Still not sure what to make of this.

It has some interesting takes on the near future, with Emma Thompson as a wannabe Trump, which are diluted by a rather bewildering kitchen sink type family drama.

My main impression was that, if this is reflective of the current lay of the land, I am very out of tune with popular culture trends in UK. 

15 hours ago, kinuta said:

I rewatched the entire series ( in Blu Ray) earlier this year too. It was richly rewarding.

I always thought it would have been cool if they went a little deeper into the 70s. Nonetheless, it's still a great show with some very clever lines and spots of humor.

Don Draper dropping the kids off at Henry and Betty's new house, "give Morticia and Lurch my love,"

On 23/05/2019 at 11:52 PM, kinuta said:

Years And Years  BBC episode two

Image result for years and years bbc

Still not sure what to make of this.

It has some interesting takes on the near future, with Emma Thompson as a wannabe Trump, which are diluted by a rather bewildering kitchen sink type family drama.

My main impression was that, if this is reflective of the current lay of the land, I am very out of tune with popular culture trends in UK. 

I'm enjoying 'Years and Years'. I think it's an interesting attempt to address some important ideas but within an accessible family drama. It fails when it does mostly because the issues are too foregrounded.  The Thompson character is very disconcertingly reflective of today's reality of Farage, Robinson and co. I think the character is less Trump and more identifiable as in an English nationalist\fascist tradition of Mosley et al

1 minute ago, ghost of miles said:

Went to see a 3-D presentation of Peter Jackson’s WW1 documentary They Shall Not Grow Old last night at the IU Cinema, followed by a brief feature about how the film was made. Quite an amazing thing to see it in that fashion, as historical documentaries go.

I saw it in 3D. Amazing. I thought Peter Jackson’s talk after the movie was over was almost as interesting as the movie. 

Btw, it’s now available on Amazon and other platforms. 

On 5/23/2019 at 5:06 PM, Matthew said:

Wings: Season 1. Thank goodness, finally on Amazon Prime

097360472547.jpg?v=3

Got the entire series at a Sam's Club for like $20 years ago have never opened it up ... seeing episodes in syndication I always thought the first year was the weakest, by far.  Then again Crystal Bernard ...

17 hours ago, kinuta said:

They Shall Not Grow Old is excellent.

Summer Of Rockets BBC

Related image

Very good cast, everything looks great on paper, it even has Timothy Spall.

Unfortunately the end result is a total mess, teetering on the edge of dire.

Which sums up rather a lot of Poliakoff's recent work. I was looking forward to this one breaking that run...