What Are You Watching

3 hours ago, JSngry said:

Part of it is that we were both all-in on Boardwalk empire and this one was simply too much like that one, so...apart from the disconnect of the character names, there was that, too, just not any reason to keep watching, seen it all before.

I just don't see a huge lot of Boardwalk Empire connections. This is California, this is roughly the same time period but the coastal differences were huge then. Neither the writing, the production nor the storyline seem similar to me. Whatevs!

• Replies 5.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Yeah, it's still tough guys being tough, mean people being mean, sadism comes natural, there will be gratuitous nude servile females, hell, it's HBO & crime.Same as it ever was. Change all the superficial and keep the basic behaviors.

Right now, Brenda's watching something called Hanna, and I'm, like, geez, woman, have you no end to your appetite for mean people tv shows? Every time I go into the room it's either guns or fists or screaming in pain or some shit. Where does it all come from, it seems that there's an endless supply.

Probably 12 or 14 years ago I came across a super cheap "complete" DVD box of this show at a Sam's Club. Hadn't cracked it open until now, it holds up pretty well as entertainment, and just as I recall, got funnier when Tony Schalhoub joined the cast as Antonio. I remember the NYT did a write-up at the end of the show's run which surprised me, but they described it pretty well, basically as "not everything is at Cheers' level but this was an enjoyable 30 minutes for 8 seasons, so ..."

BTW no one noticed David Schramm's passing a few months back. He was a pro's pro and excellent as Roy Biggins.

wings.jpg

59 minutes ago, JSngry said:

Yeah, it's still tough guys being tough, mean people being mean, sadism comes natural, there will be gratuitous nude servile females, hell, it's HBO & crime.Same as it ever was. Change all the superficial and keep the basic behaviors.

Right now, Brenda's watching something called Hanna, and I'm, like, geez, woman, have you no end to your appetite for mean people tv shows? Every time I go into the room it's either guns or fists or screaming in pain or some shit. Where does it all come from, it seems that there's an endless supply.

I'm not that dismissive and enjoy different ways of storytelling. This is a very different way than Boardwalk Empire, and different subject matter as well. and not quite as you describe and dismiss.

Edited by jazzbo

6 minutes ago, jazzbo said:

Now watching "I'll be Gone in the Dark" episode 2.

This is a good series so far in that it mixes in the author's story along with the victims involved and the GSK.

The showcasing of how rapes were classified as minor crimes back then, with what was likely a reluctance to pursue a suspect with ties to law enforcement and lack of communication between agencies allowed that spree (and others) to go on far longer than they should have. Just devastating for those victims and their families, not to mention society at large. 

Do cows eat fish? Probably not? Of course, fish don't eat cows, unless they fall in and sink, in which case, hey, shit happens, and those bigass catfish weren't born that way, right?

Just feed the cows, ok? A skinny cow is a REAL downer.

And keep the water clean for the fish. Fish are delightful, alive OR fried!

Perry Mason, episode 5, HBO. 

Wonderful move to have Ian Lithgow, John Lithgow's son play the character of the son of John's character.

I find Mason's relationship or lack thereof with his son moving. It mirrors in many ways the situation a friend of mine has with his son. 

• 3 weeks later...

Watched the season finale of Perry Mason. This show got better and better as it went along and I'm glad that it has been renewed.

Also watching the final season of X-Files, which I have never seen before. It's interesting the number of actors that show up in this season . . . Michael McKean, Burt Reynolds, Jane Lynch, Aaron Paul, Alan Dale, Paul Faustino, Michael Emerson, et al. And Annabeth Gish impresses me in this season and the preceding one. Also it dawned on me that the character Agent Doggett, played by Robert Patrick, may have been inspired by John Walsh of America's Most Wanted fame. Walsh would have been a big TV presence at this time and the character shares a bit of Walsh's intense demeaner and like Walsh is motivated by the murder of his young son.

Edited by jazzbo

• 3 weeks later...

The Pluto TV streaming service now has a 24 hour-a-day Johnny Carson channel showing old Tonight Show episodes.  I'm not the first to say if, but I sure miss Johnny Carson.  It's good to be reminded of how good he was and just how bad the monologue jokes often were (and Billy Carter and Dan Quayle jokes have not gotten better with age), but watching him bomb was half the fun.  The episodes have been edited to remove the musical performances., unfortunately.  I saw episodes with B. B. King and Glen Campbell and each time, after the musician was introduced by Johnny, they just cut to  when the performer walks over to the desk after their now deleted song, so that sucks.  They fared better than Thelma Houston did; she was mentioned by Johnny as being among the guests on one episode and then she was edited out altogether.  Still there are some very funny moments especially when he has favorite guests like Buddy Hackett, Charles Grodin,  Rodney Dangerfield and Don Rickles.

Edited by duaneiac