What Are You Watching

• 1 month later...
  • Replies 5.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

One of my favorite shows when I was a junior in high school was called The Man Who Never Was.  In my teenage mind I thought that it was more highbrow than most TV shows (certainly drier).  And of course I was in love from afar with an older woman, Dana Wynter.  Naturally, it was cancelled after 18 episodes.

I don't think the series was ever on DVD.  However, about half the episodes were meshed into two "movies."  I have found them on YouTube, and spent much of yesterday binge-watching.

https://www.imdb.com/title/tt0060005/

pilot

The Spy with the Perfect Cover

Maybe some of you can point me to more episodes!

Edited by GA Russell

• 2 weeks later...

The-Sit-in.jpg

A documentary about the week in Feb. of 1968 when Johnny Carson invited Harry Belafonte to "guest host" The Tonight Show.  So in 1968, for the first time ever, a black talk show host was able to bring black guests talking about black topics into white (and black) homes.  Mr. Belafonte had say-so in the guest list that week and called in a lot of his friends including MLK, Aretha, Paul Newman, Bill Cosby, Sidney Poitier, Petula Clark, Dionne Warwick, The Smothers Brothers, Buffy Sainte Marie and more.

Joan Walsh wrote about that week of tV in an article for The Nation back in 2017.

• 3 weeks later...
32 minutes ago, jlhoots said:

1 episode left of Tehran.

Now watching Bruce Springsteen Letter To You doc. on Apple TV

I watched the Springsteen earlier today. An extended promo film maybe but it had some great moments and the songs are strong on this album.  Nicely shot film

512LJ6agcUL._SY445_.jpg

Halfway through this set.  I forgot how frequently "laugh til it hurts" funny this show was.  Great acting and great writing.  The late Bill Henderson even showed up in one episode here.  And wise (possibly expensive)  use of music.  At the end of the episode where Earl gets out of prison, they used a version of Dylan singing "I Shall Be Released".  It fit the tone of the scene well without being too over the top.

"It's like the terrorists kneed us in the nuts -- the nuts of our heart."

1f401a8d-d7be-467c-8d1a-05a6a4c89079_1.6

Season 4 had some great guest stars including Danny Glover (as Crabman's father), Seth Green, Jerry Van Dyke, Betty White, David Arquette, Beau Bridges and Geraldo Rivera (as himself, hosting the 2 part Inside Probe investigative news program in which we discover that Randy's full name is Randall Doo Hickey, Catalina hails from the troubled south-of-the-border community of Guadalatucky and Joy is identified as "Stay-At-Trailer Mom").  While it's never explained exactly where Camden lies, I think it is somewhere between Mayberry and Springfield.  While this show had writing every bit as good as The Simpsons in its glory days, it also had the heart and sense of community from The Andy Griffith Show.

This scene -- Randy learns that Earl's ex-wife Joy was his first summer crush from decades ago (she only knew him as "Skipper" and he knew her as "Pinky") and since Earl broke them up way back when, he has to cross Randy off "his list" by having Joy agree to give him that first kiss denied him as a boy.  Add in John Prine and I was weeping in a happy way.

I watched during the run but never thought of acquiring DVDs. I think the two episodes I liked the best were the Cops rebroadcast, and the one where Catalina is back in her hometown and Randy is trying to prove his love or something and we got "Eye of the Tiger" on an acoustic guitar. That cracked me up.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

While I didn't learn guitar or even banjo, and I didn't brush up on my French, I decided I could actually watch a few of the Great Courses now that Toronto is going into extended lockdown.  It turns out that the library has quite a few of these courses on DVD (and they still do a kind of curbside pick up for the moment at least).  I've gotten most of the way through Understanding the Quantum World: https://www.thegreatcourses.com/courses/understanding-the-quantum-world

Super interesting (and spooky as Einstein said), though I wouldn't say I "understand" it much more than before.

Next up is Black Holes, Tides, and Curved Spacetime: Understanding Gravity, which might be of a bit more use to my son as he heads into high school physics.  (Somehow I don't think he'll need to know quantum physics for the time being.)  It's even on sale, though I was happy just borrow it from the library.  https://www.thegreatcourses.com/courses/black-holes-tides-and-curved-spacetime-understanding-gravity

• 3 weeks later...