What Are You Watching

• Replies 5.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Spent yesterday bingeing out The Irregulars, a new Netflix series. Very surprised that I bought in after the second episode, there's things here that would ordinarily  turn me off) but the Sherlock Holmes frame that the story is built on...I'm always a sucker for a good Holmes consideration. The cast is young and gifted, the scripts tight, and the supernatural element never took precedence over the characters. As with any good Holmes reimaging, the story speaks to contemporary conditions in period trappings, and this one speaks clearly and strongly.

8 episodes, all around 50 minutes, so we were able to start at breakfast, and were finished in time for an early supper. A very easy watch, and a day well spent, imo.

I'm watching Mindhunters Season 2 and Season 1 of The Man in the High Castle.

I tried The Man in the High Castle when it first came out but didn't get into it. I revere the book itself so much that I was not willing to put up with this alternate version of an alternate historical time line. But enough time has passed and the series is completed and I am enjoying it more this time, my mind having had time to get over the profound differences and see the grim reality of the Amazon series as a past we've escaped and I'm enjoying the production values quite a bit.

I really enjoyed Mindhunter's first season and this second one is shaping up to be as powerful.

This afternoon I saw silent movie Pandora's Box by W. Pabst from 1929. And I find a striking similarity between American actress Louise Brooks and main character in the movie, and my avatar Valentina from Italian comic designer from the 60s Guido Crepax.

image.jpg

An image from the movie.

51 minutes ago, Bluesnik said:

This afternoon I saw silent movie Pandora's Box by W. Pabst from 1929. And I find a striking similarity between American actress Louise Brooks and main character in the movie, and my avatar Valentina from Italian comic designer from the 60s Guido Crepax.

image.jpg

An image from the movie.

I always thought your avatar was of Brooks.

18 hours ago, mjzee said:

I always thought your avatar was of Brooks.

Ah, that's a good one. No, it was Valentina, but now I've discovered Valentina was maybe inspired by Brooks. By the way, I stressed Brooks was American, because the movie was not. It was German, as was Pabst. But with an American main actress.

I recently found a copy of this set

61P4JHVTCEL.jpg

at a local Goodwill store and am now halfway through Season Two.  Stephen Fry is a delight as Jeeves.  The man can express at least a half dozen different things with the mere phrase, "Indeed, sir".  Hugh Laurie is okay in his way, but he's not really the Bertie Wooster I had imagined from reading some of the books years ago.  I never pictured Bertie being quite the imbecile Mr. Laurie specialized in in those pre-House days..  I saw a few of these episodes back when they aired on PBS some 30 years ago and they kind of left me cold.  It seems like in any Wodehouse TV adaptation I have seen, the characters come across as far more insufferable and unlikable than they do on the page.  The women especially all come across as either domineering, scheming or manipulative.  Perhaps part of the problem is seeing all these characters in such lavish surroundings, far exceeding what my imagination set designed when I read the stories.  One of the locales used in some Season One episodes was Highclere Castle, made famous as the setting for the Downton Abbey soap opera..  It's hard to feel any sympathy for the comic travails of these upper class twits when you see them surrounded by every luxury one could desire.

Edited by duaneiac