What Are You Watching

Digging into our new Paramount+ plan by revisiting Daria, which holds up WAY better than I expected it to. I'm actually committed!

Also in there, Detroiters, which is quirky in a good way, and a lot more stuff that I'll get to after what's alreadt going on.

• Replies 5.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

On YouTube, episodes from the golden 1960's era of Password.  What a great show that was.  It's kind of a delight/relief to find out some star you have long enjoyed is also pretty smart/quick-thinking under pressure.  Carol Burnett was a very good Password player.  Elizabeth Montgomery also showed she was smart as well as beautiful in this game.  And I love Allen Ludden's knowing takes to the camera when some one gives a particularly dumb clue or response.  And the 1960's-ness of it all -- like Allen Ludden saying to Peter Lawford as the show returned from commercial, "Put your cigarette out, Pete".  You just don't get that kind of real life on game shows today!

On ‎8‎/‎13‎/‎2021 at 9:49 PM, duaneiac said:

On YouTube, episodes from the golden 1960's era of Password.  What a great show that was.  It's kind of a delight/relief to find out some star you have long enjoyed is also pretty smart/quick-thinking under pressure.  Carol Burnett was a very good Password player.  Elizabeth Montgomery also showed she was smart as well as beautiful in this game.  And I love Allen Ludden's knowing takes to the camera when some one gives a particularly dumb clue or response.  And the 1960's-ness of it all -- like Allen Ludden saying to Peter Lawford as the show returned from commercial, "Put your cigarette out, Pete".  You just don't get that kind of real life on game shows today!

There should be a Goodson-Todman channel on Prime or Netflix or someplace. Full seasons of all the classics and non-classics alike.

Not just Goodson-Todman, but primarily them, just because of the sheer volume of product.

I can literally watch that shit for hours on end. Especially if the commercials are included.

Remember that AeroWax commercial that as a kid sounded like they were firing all holy hell onto that airplane glass? Hearing it now is like, uh....seriously?

Is the "Password Whisper" still a commonly/mutually understood conversational device?

A great Password moment from 1965. 

The celebrity players are Jim Backus and Natalie Schafer, Thurston & Lovey Howell.

The Password is "Shipwreck"  (audience titters)

First player's clue to Mr. Backus is "Gilligan"

He replies, "Island".

The other contestant's clue to Ms. Schafer is "Catastrophe"

After a brief pause, she replies, "Television".

Audience erupts.