What Are You Watching

• 2 weeks later...
  • Replies 5.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Aretha Franklin live at Salle Wagram, Paris, 1977, with orchestra under the direction of H.B. Barnum - as seen on Stingray DJazz, a broadcaster from the Netherlands, so it seems, now offered by our TV/Internet provider.

She works hard to make sure she earns a place among the great female entertainers/singers between jazz and soul. But she's not relaxed while doing so. 

Edited by mikeweil

Saw Elvis yesterday, the Baz Luhrman movie. Can't say I enjoyed it too much as I also deeply dislike Elvis. But the film's not bad capturing the period as all Luhrman movies are (I once saw a very good one about Scott Fitzgerald and the crazy jazz twenties). So the most interesting part is the beginnings when a teenager Elvis discovers the power of black music and steals its secret. But all the rest is schlock, from the build up of Elvis' success right down to the end. What IS interesting and new is how the relationship with his manager, the infamous Colonel Parker, played by Tom Hanks, is brought to life and explained. I never knew this story of exploitation (if it's true). So only for this it's worthwhile. But stay away from it (like I wanted to do) if you're not a devoted Elvis fan. And a special mention to the actor who plays Elvis so very well. Right down to his dance moves.

On 7/18/2022 at 6:57 AM, jazzbo said:

Watched: Dark Winds finale

Will finish this one later: CNN special on Bannon

Then: WestWorld episode from last night.

I was gone and just caught up on Westworld last night. Some good Ed Harris. That series continues to be fun.

blowup2-poster.jpg

Watched this for the first time with my (adult) son on Monday night.  Good discussion with him afterwards.  We both liked how the film doesn't go where you'd expect.  What might initially appear to be a crime/thriller genre pic mutates into... something else. 

Since this is a music forum, I should say that we also both agreed that Hancock's soundtrack is tonally "out-of-alignment" with the movie.  Herbie's music seems so organic and soulful; it contrasts sharply with the themes of artificiality & emptiness that permeate the film.  But maybe that was an intentional thing on Antonioni's part.  I dunno.