What Are You Watching

• Replies 5.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Parks And Recreation

How was this one? The commercials crack me up.

:blink: Damn...I didn't know you could quote two people in one post!

It was pretty good, but I think I had a whole different appreciation to some of it due to 27 years of state agency experience.

I wasn't impressed, mostly because it seems like an Office clone simply transplanted to a govt. bureacracy (even the follow-up one-on-one interviews to the camera). Blah. Now if they end up tackling things like workers that never show up but can't be disciplined because of union rules or the farce that is the govt. requisition process or budgeting (including the orgy of spending that occurs in the last couple of weeks of a fiscal year), then they might be onto something. It would be nice if it grows, but to me it seems far too close to its source material. OTOH, if indeed they are setting the Amy Poehler character up for some wicked parody of Ikiru (she's trying to build a playlot in a completely inappropriate location), well that would be comedy that works on a couple of levels.

Just watched the second episode of Parks and Wildlife.

epj, it doesn't bother me that it's "too close to the source material" of The Office, because I like the style and approach (also used in part in ABC's Better Off Ted.) I think it asks too much of a network sitcom to be really delving into issues such as union stewardship of employees (and in my entire government service it was 'at will employment' with no protection of employees beyond federal protection) and a really serious look at procurement policies. Though in this episode they flirted with the latter by having a city manager push a project because federal money is being doled out, and by having an agency staff member induce contractors to show up at an introductory town hall meeting about the park.

Nice to see Rashid Jones, Quincy's daughter.

It's got promise. I like the tone and the portrayal of both government and citizenry. . . nice gentle satire.

Edited by jazzbo

I just watched the first episode of "Harper's Island" on CBS. It was actually pretty good, and I think I'll keep up with it. It's basically a murder mystery set on an island where alot of people have come back for a wedding, and apparently each week there are one or two killings, and you have to figure out whodunnit.

Two murders on tonight's episode, both of which were pretty grisly.

Episode 2's body count:

1 Hanging

1 Falling-into-a-hidden-pit, doused-by-gasoline, and set on fire

1 Upside-down-hanging-by-a-leg decapitation

Still alot of creepy characters left.

My very early prediction - the groom is the killer.

Sanford and Son

Season Six

Episode 1 - Fred's Extra Job

Fred becomes a bus-boy and stores the rolls in his pocket

Episode 2 - I Dream Of Choo-Choo Rabinowitz

Aunt Esther just delivered Fred an Ugly-Gram

Episode 3 - The Hawaiian Connection - Part 1

Fred kissed Esther on the cheek and became paralyzed

Maybe the only time Fred kissed her

Fred doing the hula is freakin crazy

Episode 4 - The Hawaiian Connection - Part 2

Episode 5 - The Winning Ticket

Episode 6 - The Stakeout

Fred falls in love with a male cross-dresser

Episode 7 - California Crude

Fred has a scare-crow with Aunt Esther face on it

Fred has a fish tank at the end of this episode

Episode 8 - Committee Man

Episode 9 - Aunt Esther Has A Baby

AE - Woodrow and I are gonna have a baby!!!

FS- Well somebody better call the zoo

Episode 10 - Aunt Esther Meets Her Son

AE - Fred Sanford you are the lowest of the low and the meanest of the mean and the baddest of the bad

FS - And you are the ugliest of the ugly

AE and Woodrow's new son says he doesn't believe in God and AE has a heart attack

Episode 11 - Sanford and Gong

FS all time fav song is If I Didn't Care

Fred plays the bass which is an old wash tub, 2 X 4 and string

Lamont plays the drums and Bubba does some

tap dancing

Episode 12 - Carol

Fred's nickname growing up was Cue-Ball for his pool skills

Episode 13 - Here Today, Gone Today

Lamont always wore tight jeans \ pants

Fred's furniture gets stolen but lamont has it removed to get it redone for their 40th year in business

Episode 14 - Fred Meets Redd

Fred enters the Redd Foxx look alike contest to win $500 to pay his taxes

Foxx was Fred's idol

Foxx and Fred appear on screen together and Fred says he is fake fake fake

Episode 15 - The Defiant One

Top 10 episode in my books

Some real funny insults back and forth with Fred and Esther in this episode

AE - Fred Sanford why is it that everytime I come over here you call me ugly?

FS - Cuz I'm not the type to lie

AE - Fred Sanford if you don't watch it I'll take them suspenders and pull them so tight that you'll be singing soprano!!

Grady locks Fred and Esther together with some Chinese Wrist Locks and all the instructions are written in Chinese

FS Your not shackled to Bigfoot!!

This messes up Fred's date with Crazy Alice

Begin the beguine is played on the record player

In the end Lamont and Grady are locked together with the locks

Edited by Soulstation1

Sanford and Son

Season Six

Episode 1 - Fred's Extra Job

Fred becomes a bus-boy and stores the rolls in his pocket

Episode 2 - I Dream Of Choo-Choo Rabinowitz

Aunt Esther just delivered Fred an Ugly-Gram

Episode 3 - The Hawaiian Connection - Part 1

Fred kissed Esther on the cheek and became paralyzed

Maybe the only time Fred kissed her

Fred doing the hula is freakin crazy

Episode 4 - The Hawaiian Connection - Part 2

Episode 5 - The Winning Ticket

Episode 6 - The Stakeout

Fred falls in love with a male cross-dresser

Episode 7 - California Crude

Fred has a scare-crow with Aunt Esther face on it

Fred has a fish tank at the end of this episode

I don't remember any of these - tho I'm sure I saw them back in the day - but I'm cracking up with laughter just reading the descriptions.

Last time I tried that, I ended up giving up TV for eight years. Not saying that's a bad thing, either...

Last night I watched the season premiere of Law and Order: Criminal Intent. The cast was great (especially D'Onofrio, of course), but I don't know. Maybe I'm getting burn out on crime dramas (which, in my case, means Law and Order) or maybe I'm getting a little prudish in my old age, but frankly, I was uncomfortable watching this one. Maybe it was seeing another show (Cold Case) the day before that dealt with the same subject. I don't know; it just felt like one scene in particular was designed not to show how awful sexual abuse of a child was, but to appeal to those who like it. The Law and Orders come close to the line on a regular basis, I'll admit, but this one seemed to cross it. I'm not sure I can watch a show that brings out feelings of revulsion...

Edited by Jazzmoose

Head Case

Head Case is one of the best things on at the moment. And it's no reflection on 'In Treatment' to say that it's a great antidote too. Also digging Party Down and Breaking Bad.

Just discovered Breaking Bad and went through the first season in three days. What a great show. Surprised this is the only mention it got here. As fresh as The Wire and Damages.

Edited by Michael Weiss

24 I laughed at the scene where John Voight, arrested for treason, conspiring to overthrow the US govt, possession of weapons of mass destruction, mass murders etc etc is given some quiet time , alone with his brief.No hovering guards,, no chains and orange jump suit, no surveillance cameras. Beyond incredible !!