What Are You Watching

• Replies 5.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Indeed, season two is a goodun'.

Like The Good Wife, each episode is interesting, willing to take risks and without the all too often used shoddy padding episodes.

The subversive idea of making KGB agents the ones we guiltily root for is very cleverly pulled off, in no small part because of the two terrific leads.

For once the kids don't annoy but add to the tension; what would happen if they found out, how would it be resolved ?

It crept up on me to become one of my favourites.

Indeed, season two is a goodun'.

Like The Good Wife, each episode is interesting, willing to take risks and without the all too often used shoddy padding episodes.

The subversive idea of making KGB agents the ones we guiltily root for is very cleverly pulled off, in no small part because of the two terrific leads.

For once the kids don't annoy but add to the tension; what would happen if they found out, how would it be resolved ?

It crept up on me to become one of my favourites.

And Season 3, coming up in four weeks, will be interesting too, with the kid's future endangered and the parents none too happy about it!

hitchcock5.jpg

I really wish some one would do an anthology series like this again with every week a different story with different characters and different stars. Everything depends on the story/script, of course, so some here fare better than others. Some top flight writers were used including Evan Hunter, Charlotte Armstrong, Stirling Silliphant and one script by Ray Bradbury that seems like it would have been much better suited for The Twilight Zone.

It's also a kick to see the collection of actors here -- some former movie stars like Joseph Cotten, Raymond Massey and Laurence Harvey, some rising stars like Dick Van Dyke, Dennis Weaver, Brian Keith (who spends 90% of his episode acting in an iron lung), James Franciscus (and even in supporting roles one finds the likes of pre-stardom Patrick Macnee, Richard Chamberlain and James Coburn), and great character actors like Edgar Buchanan, Harry Morgan, Jackie Coogan, Sam Jaffe, and the wonderful Oscar Homolka. One episode features a young Steve McQueen costarring with a very puffy and not at all well looking Peter Lorre. One of the best episodes features a tense battle of wits between Walter Matthau and Robert Vaughn. The episode Mr. Hitchcock chose to direct this season was very pedestrian and his direction did nothing to enliven the story.

51YpoZUqWOL.jpg

Another film I'd never seen before.

So what did you think of it? I first saw it as a teen when I snuck into a screening held for a film studies class I was not enrolled in. It wowed me then and I have seen it several times since. It remains my all-time favorite dramatic film.

51YpoZUqWOL.jpg

So what did you think of it? I first saw it as a teen when I snuck into a screening held for a film studies class I was not enrolled in. It wowed me then and I have seen it several times since. It remains my all-time favorite dramatic film.

Enjoyed it. Can understand why it was so influential. Not convinced by 'the greatest film of all time' hype but that sort of thing generally passes me by. I'm not a film buff.

Have to say I didn't see the 'Rosebud' ending coming until about a minute before the climax.

Edited by A Lark Ascending

Marvel's Agent Carter--hoping the music would fit the historical period. Jumpin at the Woodside at about 1 hour 2 minutes into the 2 hour premier. Not sure which recording of Jumpin at the Woodside they used.

I probably wouldn't have watched any more of this series, however the use of that tune convinced me to keep listening/watching.

Silver Spring Jazz

51YpoZUqWOL.jpg

Enjoyed it. Can understand why it was so influential. Not convinced by 'the greatest film of all time' hype but that sort of thing generally passes me by. I'm not a film buff.

Have to say I didn't see the 'Rosebud' ending coming until about a minute before the climax.

The main flaw in that film is nobody was around to actually hear him say "Rosebud".

Finished Season 3 of The Wire last night...finally getting around to it. took too long to get to it, perhaps, but otoh, ain't nothing on that show you can't already know from just driving around and paying attention.

I say that not to trivialize the show but to praise it in the highest terms.

51YpoZUqWOL.jpg

The main flaw in that film is nobody was around to actually hear him say "Rosebud".

Apart from the film crew. Maybe Welles invented Post-modern too.

I'm onto disc 3 of Series 1 of The Good Wife....really starting to enjoy this now the themes are getting established.

51YpoZUqWOL.jpg

I kind of assumed the nurse who came into the room and pulled the covers over his head was the one who heard his final word. Surely a man of his wealth would have had an intercom system to connect him with his caregivers 24 hours a day once he became bedridden? I figure she heard his last utterance and the crash of the snow globe via the intercom and then came in to check up on him.

Yes, it looks like it's going to walk away with all the awards.

Last night saw the return of one of my favourite thriller series:

spiral.jpg

Spiral (or 'Engrenages' as the original French series is called). Series 5 - gritty, exciting and packed with engaging characters.

Edited by A Lark Ascending