What Are You Watching

• Replies 5.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

This week's episode of Elementary. I've watched the show since the beginning and

it has steadily grown on me, I like the subdued mood.

The stories are up to par without any flash and histrionics, quite often finishing in a minor key, which makes a nice change from the in your face tone commonly found.

The Great War - BBC (1964)

41J13HAXBBL.jpg

Rewatching this landmark 26 episode documentary at an episode per day.

The definitive film record of WW1, it's power hasn't diminished after fifty years.

None of the recent tv programmes on the event can begin to compare.

The Great War - BBC (1964)

41J13HAXBBL.jpg

Rewatching this landmark 26 episode documentary at an episode per day.

The definitive film record of WW1, it's power hasn't diminished after fifty years.

None of the recent tv programmes on the event can begin to compare.

I remember watching that in the late-70s when it was screened on the BBC for the first time since the 60s. I found it overwhelming. It was just as I started teaching and very much coloured the way I taught WWI at the time.

It's interesting to read about what influenced it and how it influenced. It's now seen as very much a reflection of the anti-establishment/anti-military-industrial complex mood of the 60s (along with 'Oh What a Lovely War' and the rediscovered [and selectively chosen] war poets). Gary Sheffield's 'Forgotten Victory' has an interesting section on its place in the general historiography of the Great War.

silicon-valley-season-1-dvd-536_500.jpg?

I found the DVD set of Season 1 at the library so I checked it out. I was only mildly interested in the show, being as I live in the geographic Silicon Valley but am not a part of the actual "Silicon Valley" world. It's a pretty lame series. I think I laughed once in the very last episode, otherwise it's a show about very unlikable guys behaving badly. And maybe in the days of sitcoms past one could get away with having the characters engage in some outlandish act with no repercussions the following week, but not in this day and age. In one episode an adult male character picks up a young Latino boy at a gas station and brings him back home under the impression that the boy is a reincarnated version of his younger self (you see, he was on hallucinogenic drugs at the time, so it's funny). Nope, sorry, you can't put that in the script and then just ignore it like it never happened in subsequent episodes. In real life that character would be arrested and facing a lengthy jail term. In another episode the police happen to find a large marijuana grow in the garage of the same character's home. Again, you can't put that in the story and act like it never happened the following week.

And of course there is the hackneyed storyline of a super hot successful woman falling in love with a socially awkward and unattractive male.

I think I will pass on future seasons of this.

Edited by duaneiac

It started off too slow for my tastes but it soon became a favorite show. I think if you enjoy BB and Saul there, it adds a dimension to this show, but it stands on its own too I believe. Check it out.

Now watching "The Returned" on A&E.

Right at the end of that first episode of Better Call Saul there is a payoff for fans of Breaking Bad with a promise of a lot of action in episode two, which was broadcast the next day by AMC (the premiere was on a Sunday). So, hardly an uneventful start.

During the rest of the season, this show can take it slow with Saul and Mike in places precisely because we have known them for years.

After yesterday's finale the stage is set for Saul to break bad.

It started off too slow for my tastes but it soon became a favorite show. I think if you enjoy BB and Saul there, it adds a dimension to this show, but it stands on its own too I believe. Check it out.

Now watching "The Returned" on A&E.

Sounds like I need to check it out. AMC has really been knocking it out of the park in recent years. The Walking Dead slipped a bit this past season, but even it is still pretty good.

MV5BMjEyNDY0MDY2NF5BMl5BanBnXkFtZTcwMDg0

That's right -- Matlock does Pirandello in this 1976 television adaptation. Here, the setting is a TV studio where a cast is preparing to rehearse for a soap opera when they are interrupted by the mysterious appearance of the six characters. John Houseman plays the director and Andy Griffith plays the Father character. Mr. Griffith was a very good actor as any one who has seen A Face In The Crowd can attest. He is quite compelling at times here, but I wasn't fully buying his performance in this production. This was directed by Stacy Keach and his brother James Keach is also in the cast.

Edited by duaneiac

Marvel's DareDevil

daredevil-bloody-knucles.jpg

Wow, didn't see this one coming.

A dark and violent noir masquerading as a comic book superhero show.

I thought the first two episodes were very good indeed and totally eclipse shows like the camp and unwatchable Gotham.

Forget the silly superheroes who don't get their hair mussed, this is the real mcoy.

:tup

Saw this on Facebook, and they commented that they wanted people to share, so here goes. I've never really watched Game of Thrones, but fans may get a kick out of this. This is a video of my cousins performing the GoT theme on accordians:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jM35A3uDCes

Marvel's DareDevil

daredevil-bloody-knucles.jpg

Wow, didn't see this one coming.

A dark and violent noir masquerading as a comic book superhero show.

I thought the first two episodes were very good indeed and totally eclipse shows like the camp and unwatchable Gotham.

Forget the silly superheroes who don't get their hair mussed, this is the real mcoy.

:tup

Cool! Hope it comes out on disc so I can see it.

Saw this on Facebook, and they commented that they wanted people to share, so here goes. I've never really watched Game of Thrones, but fans may get a kick out of this. This is a video of my cousins performing the GoT theme on accordians:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jM35A3uDCes

I've never watched the show, but I enjoyed the video.