What Are You Watching

True Detective season 2. My negative comments on first seeing episode 1 have been deleted in the software upgrade. I watched the season premiere again followed by yesterday's episode, this time at night with the lights out, and I'm still not convinced this is going someplace interesting. It does look pretty.

• Replies 5.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

True Detective season 2. My negative comments on first seeing episode 1 have been deleted in the software upgrade. I watched the season premiere again followed by yesterday's episode, this time at night with the lights out, and I'm still not convinced this is going someplace interesting. It does look pretty.

I watched the first episode twice and need to watch episode two again. I nodded off during both episodes. Nicely textured visuals although the constant use of aerial footage between scenes is wearing a bit thin.

My main problem is it's very murky nature, mood over substance is all well and good but shouldn't outstay it's welcome at the expense of some forward moving narrative. I'm looking forward to episode three to see how they are going to resolve that final scene.

I watched the first episode twice and need to watch episode two again. I nodded off during both episodes. Nicely textured visuals although the constant use of aerial footage between scenes is wearing a bit thin.

My main problem is it's very murky nature, mood over substance is all well and good but shouldn't outstay it's welcome at the expense of some forward moving narrative. I'm looking forward to episode three to see how they are going to resolve that final scene.

The critics were given access to the first three episodes for their previews and were overall lukewarm in their response, so I don't expect the narrative to improve until after.

Edited by erwbol

1306071241411_l.jpg

Inspector Lewis set 7

Ah, I'm a fan as well. Did you also watch Morse?

Yes. And I'm going to start watching them again in the very near future.

I don't think I've ever seen one quite like Morse. There are some pretty good Skandanivian ones in this genre as well when you're interested. Wallander to name one.

Wallander was very good. Just make sure it's the Swedish one, not Kenneth Branagh.

I like Morse too but have to admit that the last time I watched some of my complete Morse collection it came across as a bit dated and the curmudgeonery side of Morse's personality that I'd previously been quite at home with seemed slightly grating.

I'd recommend 'Case Histories' BBC 2011-2013.

Thanks for the tip, kinuta. I have been watching the BBC a lot lately. I really enjoy it. I think i've only watched the Swedish Wallander. Some pretty good Norwegian series too, although those are a lot more violent than the British. I prefer those last ones.

I'd recommend 'Case Histories' too - though the Kate Atkinson books are even better. Really quirky. 

For Brit thrillers I've seen nothing to beat last year's 'Happy Valley' - way outside the usual plot lines, brilliantly acted and with a wonderful sense of place (Yorkshire).

Big Morse fan from days of yore and have enjoyed all the Lewis programmes even if they can be a bit quaint. Oxford is the big star! Love the Scandi-thrillers too.

The other one I've really loved is the French 'Spiral' - there have been several series - quite brutal but with interesting lead characters who stray all over the moral map. 

Having finished up series 2 of 'House of Cards' (I'm impatiently awaiting the arrival of series 3 at the rental site) I've just caught up with series three of:

118037_large.jpg

A bit slower than 1 and 2 and the sentimental bits are overdone but the scene where Sloane savages the new IT chap for his stalking app was priceless. 

I'd recommend 'Case Histories' too - though the Kate Atkinson books are even better. Really quirky. 

For Brit thrillers I've seen nothing to beat last year's 'Happy Valley' - way outside the usual plot lines, brilliantly acted and with a wonderful sense of place (Yorkshire).

Big Morse fan from days of yore and have enjoyed all the Lewis programmes even if they can be a bit quaint. Oxford is the big star! Love the Scandi-thrillers too.

The other one I've really loved is the French 'Spiral' - there have been several series - quite brutal but with interesting lead characters who stray all over the moral map. 

Having finished up series 2 of 'House of Cards' (I'm impatiently awaiting the arrival of series 3 at the rental site) I've just caught up with series three of:

118037_large.jpg

A bit slower than 1 and 2 and the sentimental bits are overdone but the scene where Sloane savages the new IT chap for his stalking app was priceless. 

Happy Valley is a classic. I agree that no other British series since has matched it's level of grab you by the throat excellence.

Out here on the outer fringes of the galaxy it's easy lose track of new additions the Scandi thriller pantheon. Any pointers would be appreciated.:)

Were there more seasons of Endeavour then? I think I saw only one. I did like it to see how his character came to develop based on the older Morse. Still I think of the three, Morse was the best one. We have a detective month coming up starting today. Unfortunately I saw most of them already on Belgian tv or the BBC, still I often watch another time, especially of series I like. Tonight is Silent Witnes. There was also a detective night, past saturday, but I forgot to watch, since I was out with friends and was tired when I got home.

Were there more seasons of Endeavour then? I think I saw only one. I did like it to see how his character came to develop based on the older Morse. Still I think of the three, Morse was the best one. We have a detective month coming up starting today. Unfortunately I saw most of them already on Belgian tv or the BBC, still I often watch another time, especially of series I like. Tonight is Silent Witnes. There was also a detective night, past saturday, but I forgot to watch, since I was out with friends and was tired when I got home.

There was a second season and a third is in production.

Endeavor doesn't rate as highly with me as Morse or Lewis, but I still like it. I'm a sucker for anything Morse related.

"Out here on the outer fringes of the galaxy it's easy lose track of new additions the Scandi thriller pantheon. Any pointers would be appreciated.:)"

Apologies - can't work out how to get rid of the quotes I don't want!

You are probably familiar with the big ones:

• The Krister Henriksson version of Wallendar (though there was an earlier Swedish version I liked too)
  • The Killing I and II
  • The Bridge I and II
  • Borgen (not a thriller but full of intrigue - who'd have though proportional representation could be so involving!). 

Not noticed much since - the last BBC 4 Swedish thing about murders on an island was dire - I only managed one episode. Maybe they are saving them up for the winter.  

"Out here on the outer fringes of the galaxy it's easy lose track of new additions the Scandi thriller pantheon. Any pointers would be appreciated.:)"

• The Krister Henriksson version of Wallendar (though there was an earlier Swedish version I liked too)
  • The Killing I and II
  • The Bridge I and II
  • Borgen (not a thriller but full of intrigue - who'd have though proportional representation could be so involving!). 

Not noticed much since - the last BBC 4 Swedish thing about murders on an island was dire - I only managed one episode. Maybe they are saving them up for the winter.  

Thank you, Bev. I've seen all those.

I was also taken by ' The Legacy', not a thriller but a great depiction of a family at each others throats over an inheritence. Makes good binge watching.

517uV8I2OfL._SY300_.jpg

•  

I watched Inspector Morse: Absolute Conviction last night. Looking at the credits, I saw that Nick Heckstall-Smith was the 2nd assistant director. I did a search and, from what I could find, he's the nephew of the late saxophonist Dick Heckstall-Smith.

To reply at your other comment. I feel that way too. Morse is one of my all time favourites and eventhough I really like "Lewis" and quite enjoy "Endeavour", they don't equal Morse for me.
I didn't know that about the 2nd assistant director. While Morse listened to some lovely classical music in the series which I've quite enjoyed. There are a few series where the main character likes jazz and it plays a role in the story. There is DCI Banks and also George Gently, although that one doesn't have that much of it I think.

• The Killing I and II
  • The Bridge I and II

Thank you, Bev. I've seen all those.

I was also taken by ' The Legacy', not a thriller but a great depiction of a family at each others throats over an inheritence. Makes good binge watching.

517uV8I2OfL._SY300_.jpg

•  

I thought you probably would have. 

But I've not seen 'The Legacy' so might add that to the rental list. 

There are a few series where the main character likes jazz and it plays a role in the story. There is DCI Banks and also George Gently, although that one doesn't have that much of it I think.

About 25 years ago they started to make a series based around John Harvey's Nottingham based detective series - but they didn't go beyond a few programmes. I liked them. He was a keen jazz fan.

The main character in 'Case Histories' series mentioned above is a modern country/Americana fan - some good music on those. Ian Rankin's Rebus is a big rock fan. 

A can recommend this series that slipped by a few years back:

617e-q9kxsL._SL1024_.jpg

Again, the landscape is the star. Nice characters with quirky problems. But be warned...there's very little sun! 

Expect a decreasing amount of quality drama from the BBC:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/entertainment-arts-33360707

All tied in with the approaching government sell-off of the network to the people who funded their election victory, I suspect.  

Edited by A Lark Ascending

True Detective (Season 2). Not even close in comparison of quality and substance to the first season.  I'll fight my way through the rest of the season but so far it's been a disappointment.

Ballers - I'm finding this show to be entertaining.  

The Brink - Unless the next episode delivers more than just chuckle, I think I'll be calling it quits.

Finished up season 6 of The Good Wife on Amazon Prime, I had stopped watching it at midseason on broadcast because it was annoying me.  After finishing the entire season I still feel basically the same way.  There are still some moments here and there but overall the show has forgotten what it initially was; a stellar hybrid of the serialized dramatic series and a case-of-the-week courtroom drama.  That was what it was good at, that is what it needs to return to.  

5144M31PMYL.jpg

Inspector Morse - Driven to Distraction

An episode which shows the dark side of Morse's personality.

I dca't remember that episode just now. It has been some time since it has been broadcasted here, but I'll take note on what you've said.