What Are You Watching

True Detective (Season 2). Not even close in comparison of quality and substance to the first season.  I'll fight my way through the rest of the season but so far it's been a disappointment.

I tell myself I keep watching True Detective to bear witness, but the real answer is that it's obviously my programming, and I lack the constitution for suicide.

• Replies 5.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hulu has a nice collection of 70s TV shows and I've been enjoying the nostalgia this week.  Been watching season 1 of WKRP which was one of my favorites when I was a kid, still holds up nicely and is still quite funny.  The infamous "turkey drop" episode had me in stitches, I still remembered it vividly and I haven't seen it since I was 8 years old.  

_82673615_victoriamitchell.jpg

How to Be Bohemian with Victoria Coren Mitchell 

Been enjoying this series of three programmes over the last few nights. Mitchell is not an 'arty-farty luvvie' (though she interviews a few!) so has just the right amount of scepticism (not to mention prudishness) to not be taken in by the more extreme sillinesses. Fascinating bit about Eric Gill in episode 2 which really pushes your acceptance of taboo breaking to the limits. 

Edited by A Lark Ascending

Last Days in Vietnam (BBC4)

http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/b062mbng

p02wfgf5.jpg

Excellent documentary about the events of April 1975 in Saigon from the US/South Vietnamese perspective.

Done in the old fashioned way I prefer - original footage, testimony from eyewitnesses. No celebrity or has-been politician leaping about in front as part of their career portfolio.   

Never realised the famous picture of the queue on the stairs climbing onto a helicopter was from the suburbs and not the embassy. 

539w.jpg

Edited by A Lark Ascending

True Detective

Good performances, noirish photography and stylish production are all just about negated by a bewilderingly dense and complex script.

Some of the conversations are bizarre to say the least.

If the writers intention is to make the viewer feel stupid for not keeping up, they are more than successful in my case.

Ray Donovan

Love it, great show. :tup

Last Days in Vietnam (BBC4)

http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/b062mbng

p02wfgf5.jpg

Excellent documentary about the events of April 1975 in Saigon from the US/South Vietnamese perspective.

Done in the old fashioned way I prefer - original footage, testimony from eyewitnesses. No celebrity or has-been politician leaping about in front as part of their career portfolio.   

Never realised the famous picture of the queue on the stairs climbing onto a helicopter was from the suburbs and not the embassy. 

539w.jpg

I saw that too and found it enjoyable and educational.

Catching up on Keye & Peele in the wake of their announcing the end of their Comedy Central series.

Lots of  reflexive LOL stuff from these guys, as well as some high-concept comedy as well, often within the same bit. Impressive.

Also now have the Comedy Central Roku station, so discovering some things, like Broad City, which is looking to be one of those dry things that is funny in the cumulative...I love it when that happens.

Also Why? with Hannibal Burris...still finding its pace, but then its good its damn good, and flying Lotus is on hand as DJ.

True Detective

Good performances, noirish photography and stylish production are all just about negated by a bewilderingly dense and complex script.

Some of the conversations are bizarre to say the least.

If the writers intention is to make the viewer feel stupid for not keeping up, they are more than successful in my case.

It made me feel the writers are stupid.

At 2:45 EST - TCM will show Ingmar Bergman's 'The Magician' (1958) with Max Von Sydow and Ingrid Thulin as touring magician and his assistant.

It's set in 19th century small-town rural Sweden where the local officials are suspicious of the 'powers' of the magician.  For a Bergman film of this era, it's refreshingly not focused on death and dying but -- dare I say -- comedic.  

And it starts in 30 minutes !!

Today, 125 years ago, Vincent van Gogh died....

A unique tv documentary of the life and the works of Vincent van Gogh. For 60 minutes we are travelling with Vincent in a geographical reconstruction of his life. The documentary shows beautiful pictures of which Van Gogh has drawn his inspiration for his works. A lot of the buildings still exist. Trough modern digital techniques the current image changes into the painting that was made by Van Gogh for over 100 years ago. The documentary begins in the basement of a museum in Mons, where they keep the first professional work of Vincent and ends in Auvers sur Oisewhere Van Gogh has been buried...

Mr Robot

Started well but now I couldn't care less what happens.

Fast succumbing to the overcomplex, incomprehension syndrome.

I can't figure it out either.

Needs more Christian Slater (maybe).

Needs a profound rethink into why it's following the misguided trend of multilayered, baffling complexity and get back to some decent narrative driven storytelling that doesn't first annoy then alienate the audience.

• 2 weeks later...