What Are You Watching

• Replies 5.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

This Is England 90. Channel 4 on Demand

Strong first episode of the, sadly, final series.

Meadows' portrayal of everyday life in Britain past is as razor sharp as before. The compiled series will stand proud as testament to great writing, acting and direction

Edited by mjazzg

11755632_10153514298480536_4297332868208

A Very British Map: The Ordnance Survey Story (BBC4)

Quaint little programme about the map making institution - a bit 'aren't we British special' but a nice tale. Great to see the OS map collector with a room filled with shelves of OS maps - wonder what it reminded me of?

Selma%20A%20marcha%20da%20Liberdade%20de

Finally got round to this. I thought it was excellent - much, much better than the last two films I watched addressing similar issues ('Lincoln' and 'The Butler'). 

Edited by A Lark Ascending

h5fl24mjonzMkqX21Z7WkyzZkyT.jpg

Makes the late-60s look very tawdry; and the Stones come across as near inarticulate. Maybe just inhibited by the cameras and the ugly events at Altamont. 

imc939d-the-go-between-web.gif

Pleasant BBC period drama in the regular Sunday night slot for such things. Seems to be de rigueur to have the relevant hunk showing off his chest whilst doing the scything. Never read the book or seen the 70s film so can't compare. 

Edited by A Lark Ascending

Makes the late-60s look very tawdry; and the Stones come across as near inarticulate. Maybe just inhibited by the cameras and the ugly events at Altamont. 

imc939d-the-go-between-web.gif

Pleasant BBC period drama in the regular Sunday night slot for such things. Seems to be de rigueur to have the relevant hunk showing off his chest whilst doing the scything. Never read the book or seen the 70s film so can't compare. 

Re the '60's, whatprogramme othaonabart?, as we say in Sheffield.

Sorry, didn't notice the image did not appear. Think it's there now. A DVD hired from Lovefilm. 

I'm afraid there's still no image.

I also watched The Go Between. I thought it was a straightforward, satisfactory version that would be sufficient to stand in it's own right providing you hadn't seen the 1971 Joseph Losey/ Harold Pinter version, which is much superior.

The supporting cast were good but my main problem was the rather lifeless Joanna Vanderham, not in the same league as Julie Christie, and the tepid portrayal of her relationship with the fancy man: agree about the voguish ripped torsos, glistening with sweat. The camerman was way too enamoured by overuse of lens flare. If you liked it, I'd very much recommend finding the Losey/Pinter/Christie/Bates version.

I was quite disappointed as I really love the original and was eager to see a different take on it.

An Inspector Calls is easily the best of the three so far. 

Sorry, didn't notice the image did not appear. Think it's there now. A DVD hired from Lovefilm. 

I'm afraid there's still no image.

I also watched The Go Between. I thought it was a straightforward, satisfactory version that would be sufficient to stand in it's own right providing you hadn't seen the 1971 Joseph Losey/ Harold Pinter version, which is much superior.

The supporting cast were good but my main problem was the rather lifeless Joanna Vanderham, not in the same league as Julie Christie, and the tepid portrayal of her relationship with the fancy man: agree about the voguish ripped torsos, glistening with sweat. The camerman was way too enamoured by overuse of lens flare. If you liked it, I'd very much recommend finding the Losey/Pinter/Christie/Bates version.

I was quite disappointed as I really love the original and was eager to see a different take on it.

An Inspector Calls is easily the best of the three so far. 

Not seen The Inspector Calls. Will try and catch it on iPlayer given your recommendation. 

Given that Julie Christie was in the original The Go Between I'm surprised I haven't seen it! 

An Inspector Calls BBC

an_inspector_calls_dvd_large.jpg

Excellent, I thought it was as good as the Alistair Sim version.

Thanks for the tip, kinuta. I thought this was excellent. Not at all what I expected. Rather 'A Christmas Carol'! And very pertinent to current events. Ken Stott is one of my favourite actors - like Kenneth Moore, Pill Patterson and Bill Nighy, I always feel safe when they are on screen! 

I've never read any Priestley but can see I need to correct that. What I would like to get my hands on is a long programme he did in 1960 about 1940. I had it on video but it got chewed up. Very much English mythology but only 15 years after the event that's hardly surprising. I don't think I've seen anything on those events with so much contemporary footage - Priestley is there as a voice guiding you, not jumping around in front of the cameras all the time.

Talking of which, a couple of nights back:

Operation Mincemeat - BBC doc from some time back I found on my digibox, based on the best seller. Vaguely knew about this but found the details fascinating. A bit sceptical about the 'this one deception changed the course of the war' angle but TV documentaries tend to need angles like that. Suffered a bit from the 'what do we show on the screen whilst the tale is being told?' problem - so some rather silly reconstructions. But overall a good programme.

For some reason I've completely missed 'This Is England' - will wait for the DVDs to appear in a few weeks and hire from Lovefilm. I need a good, lengthy series to get my teeth into having found nothing that caught my fancy since I finished The Good Wife and House of Cards. All recommendations welcome!  

An Inspector Calls BBC

an_inspector_calls_dvd_large.jpg

Excellent, I thought it was as good as the Alistair Sim version.

Thanks for the tip, kinuta. I thought this was excellent. Not at all what I expected. Rather 'A Christmas Carol'! And very pertinent to current events. Ken Stott is one of my favourite actors - like Kenneth Moore, Pill Patterson and Bill Nighy, I always feel safe when they are on screen! 

I've never read any Priestley but can see I need to correct that. What I would like to get my hands on is a long programme he did in 1960 about 1940. I had it on video but it got chewed up. Very much English mythology but only 15 years after the event that's hardly surprising. I don't think I've seen anything on those events with so much contemporary footage - Priestley is there as a voice guiding you, not jumping around in front of the cameras all the time.

Talking of which, a couple of nights back:

Operation Mincemeat - BBC doc from some time back I found on my digibox, based on the best seller. Vaguely knew about this but found the details fascinating. A bit sceptical about the 'this one deception changed the course of the war' angle but TV documentaries tend to need angles like that. Suffered a bit from the 'what do we show on the screen whilst the tale is being told?' problem - so some rather silly reconstructions. But overall a good programme.

For some reason I've completely missed 'This Is England' - will wait for the DVDs to appear in a few weeks and hire from Lovefilm. I need a good, lengthy series to get my teeth into having found nothing that caught my fancy since I finished The Good Wife and House of Cards. All recommendations welcome!  

Longmire might be up your street. A Wyoming cop with brains , interesting stories interlayed with life on the Cheyenne reservation, tribal law and mythology, a good cast and something more to say than just another take on the usual tough guy thing.

I recommend it.

Watched Minority Report, Fox. Not bad, I give any PKD material a chance, and it sure isn't hard to watch Meagan Good.

One episode to go of Heroes, Season 4, just in time for Heroes Reborn premiering tomorrow.

Also watched Fast 'n Loud. Wish they would go back to completing cars in one episode.

Actually went to the cinema for the first time in about 10 years this afternoon (a wonderful feeling knowing a former colleague was teaching my nice but awkward Y10s (now Y11s) whilst I relaxed!):

45-years-2015-filmplakat-rcm260x370u.jpg

A lovely film of a marriage rapidly unravelling when the past catches up. Especially liked the scenery of a gloomy, overcast Norfolk. I lived there for 6 months at the end of 1977 and it looked exactly as in the film.

Had quite forgotten how much better things look on a large screen. 

Gotham.  They finally added this one to Netflix and I've been watching it over the past week.  Pretty good comic book derived series that seems not wholly sure whether it's serious or camp but has fun regardless.  Not nearly as good as Netflix' "Daredevil" but worth a look.