What Are You Watching

• Replies 5.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Happy Valley (episodeĀ 3) was brilliant last night. Apart from the storyline(s) there are so many clever touches. The sequence where Catherine tries to wheedle her nickname in the office and then under the hanging man was priceless. The prison visiting scene with Tommy and the obsessed girl was incredibly disturbing, superbly acted. It also had a classic 'don't do it moment' when the young woman PC accepts the offer of a drink with the middle aged letch. Sarah Lancashire just amazes as the tough but deeply troubled main character.Ā 

1 hour ago, A Lark Ascending said:

Happy Valley (episodeĀ 3) was brilliant last night. Apart from the storyline(s) there are so many clever touches. The sequence where Catherine tries to wheedle her nickname in the office and then under the hanging man was priceless. The prison visiting scene with Tommy and the obsessed girl was incredibly disturbing, superbly acted. It also had a classic 'don't do it moment' when the young woman PC accepts the offer of a drink with the middle aged letch. Sarah Lancashire just amazes as the tough but deeply troubled main character.Ā 

Aw, I forgot to watch last night. :( Is there a time they will broadcast that episode again by any chance?

Vera is one of my favourites!

Edited by page

23 minutes ago, page said:

Aw, I forgot to watch last night. :( Is there a time they will broadcast that episode again by any chance?

Vera is one of my favourites!

I don't think so. You can see it for 30 days on the BBC iPlayer but I don't know if that has any reach beyond the UK.Ā 

I've not watched the current series yet (stored on the digibox for leaner times) but another good one is "Shetland". Nice, distinct location with odd customs. The starring role is played by the weather which is usually awful. Ā 

Should be out on DVD in a few weeks - the Beeb are very quick off the mark there. I was late to series 1 and only managed to watch episode 1 before the entire series vanished. However, I was able to rent the DVD from the place I use immediately.

I'll let you know if I spot a rebroadcast.Ā Ā 

4 hours ago, A Lark Ascending said:

Ā The super realistic dialogue is spot on and the level of acting as good as we'll ever see .

I'd say a word of praise for Catherine's sister, her take on alcoholism is chillingly real and completely convincing. The scenes with the police shrink were also quite superb.

10 hours ago, kinuta said:

Ā The super realistic dialogue is spot on and the level of acting as good as we'll ever see .

I'd say a word of praise for Catherine's sister, her take on alcoholism is chillingly real and completely convincing. The scenes with the police shrink were also quite superb.

Yes, the more you think about it, there is so much going on it's hard to take in at the time. I rarely re-watch films or TV but these two series I'll return to in a year or two.Ā Ā 

Edited by A Lark Ascending

Finished a binge-ing of The Leftovers Seasons 1 & 2, began when the wife started on Season 2 because it was free on On Demand. She got more than halfway into it, said "I just don't get this", so I watched and asked here if there was a Season 1, and she said yeah, on amazon Prime, but it costs. So I said, wellllll.....looks like if this is going to make any real sense, we need to start from the beginnings. And so we did.

What a wonderfully oblique tale this series tells. Interesting to me that neither season was written with the knowledge that there would be one to follow.

My "takeaways", such as they are, are pretty simple - "safety" is an illusion, don't confuse something not happening with something happening, family and love are fragile, perhaps illusory, but the choices you have are to hold on the them or else be broken, and even that might not be a "choice" as much as it is one of those things that you confuse something bad not happening with something good happening. Then again, it's all a choice, really, whatever happens has nothing to do with you, but how you respond to it has everything to do with you. At least that's what I get. Many different interpretations, no doubt. Although I did find it interesting that when the GR finally got into Jarden, all they did was sit around in their same group, smoke, and mock the tourist video. Like, that's your triumph?Ā 

Like I said, a wonderful story, very moving at times, and definitely as "contemporary" in its message as anything I've seen in a good while. What they'll do with Season 3, I couldn't begin to guess.

ONECHILD-master675.jpg

'One Child' (BBC2) - first episode of this engaging drama about a Chinese orphan brought up in a loving middle class family in England, suddenly having to confront the country of her birth.

wKYTI.jpg

Think this went out in 2013. Watched all three programmes over the last few days. Initially thought it might be a bit dull but it turned out to be gripping - an intriguing take on British maritime and imperial history, seen through shipping disasters. Traces the impact they had on changing practices. The section in the last episode on the ship owners (and their parliamentary protectors) tooth and nail opposition to Samuel Plimsol on the grounds that it would adversely affect profitability and competitiveness rang many a bell (not just the Lloyds one!) with today's world (of course we can't possibly pay a living wage!).Ā Ā Ā 

Edited by A Lark Ascending

51o%2BCbvxVWL._SY300_.jpg

Wonderful. Last time I came across this was in 1969 as a reluctant 13 year old at school. Marvellous performance by an all male cast (which made the plot even harder to follow - woman disguised as a man is actually a bloke!). My teacher must have done a better job than I thought because I remembered a lot of this.

2001.jpg?w=202&h=300

Never seen this before (though I read the book around the time it came out...must have had some rating that stopped me going to see it as a 13-14 year old). Very impressive...recallĀ all the discussion about what it all means. Bugger if I know (though it did solve the mystery of what happened to Reginald Perrin).

Interesting to see how some things in it have subsequently come to pass - Skype, voice recognition technology. Though, mercifully, the Habitat decor of the space stations haveĀ gone out-of-fashion, BBC presenters no longer have obligatory public school accents and we don't have to eat our food through straws (until our latter days).

No explosions and no-one got shot. Would it get made today? Ā  Ā 

Episode 2 of both "The Night Manager" and "One Child", both very enjoyable, though the latter had one of the most uncomfortable scenes I've seen on TV in a long time.Ā 

"The Renaissance Unchained" Very enjoyable first episode.Ā Waldemar Januszczak sets out to demonstrate how the idea of The Renaissance was Italian propaganda - absolutely fascinating look at the Flemish painting that preceded it. I like his bonkers uncle presentation style.Ā Ā Ā 

ogf330053.jpg

At the local cinema (audience of 3! It was a Wednesday afternoon.). Absolutely wonderful. Remember seeing the BBC TV version sometime around the late 70s and being smitten. Minimalist staging - opens in a modern office - then all the furniture gets hauled on rope into the air and with lighting and appropriate noises becomes the Forest of Arden. Being a sucker for mythical arcadias this had me bewitched for three hours. Lots of famous faces including the bloke who did the annoying Nationwide Building Society add (Mark Benton) - he was very funny as Touchstone.Ā 

Hope the low audience turnout doesn't see this sort of thing disappear from the cinema - it was a re-broadcast; the live evening broadcast last week was apparently well-attended.Ā Ā Ā