What Are You Watching

Final Happy Valley. Loved the jump from the bridge scene which Wainwright managed to turn into black comedy with the jumper explaining to Catherine how to talk him down because she'd not done the course. And the end where without saying a word she put the shooting up on the moor together with her grandsons genetic connect with Royce and starts to fear the worse....without a word spoken. Nicely set up for a third series.

Though if Whittingdale and the Tories have their way it won't happen because Happy Valley is popular and the BBC shouldn't be doing popular.

• Replies 5.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

7 hours ago, A Lark Ascending said:

Final Happy Valley. Loved the jump from the bridge scene which Wainwright managed to turn into black comedy with the jumper explaining to Catherine how to talk him down because she'd not done the course. And the end where without saying a word she put the shooting up on the moor together with her grandsons genetic connect with Royce and starts to fear the worse....without a word spoken. Nicely set up for a third series.

Though if Whittingdale and the Tories have their way it won't happen because Happy Valley is popular and the BBC shouldn't be doing popular.

I guess Happy Valley (season 2) will eventually show up on DVD in the US - although it took a long time for season 1 to get here. I'll get it when it does.

3 hours ago, jlhoots said:

I guess Happy Valley (season 2) will eventually show up on DVD in the US - although it took a long time for season 1 to get here. I'll get it when it does.

It's worth the wait! We had to wait 2 years between series; probably have to wait the same for series 3 if it happens. 

Meanwhile the third series of 'Line of Duty' starts next Thursday - another 'popular' high quality BBC drama.

45 minutes ago, A Lark Ascending said:

It's worth the wait! We had to wait 2 years between series; probably have to wait the same for series 3 if it happens. 

Meanwhile the third series of 'Line of Duty' starts next Thursday - another 'popular' high quality BBC drama.

I've watched & liked both seasons of Line Of Duty. I'll watch for season 3. Don't know why BBC America doesn't run these.

On ‎3‎/‎11‎/‎2016 at 5:13 PM, page said:

New series on Canvas: Follow the money. A Danish series about an energy company. First episodes were promising.

Mind the tune. The singer especially wrote that tune about the subject of Alzheimer and they chose her tune to accompany the series. I think it is a stunning tune, it made me cry. Series 3 was really wonderful, I can tell you.

I've read a number of the books, so I know what's in store. Didn't make the connection with the song, though. Thanks, page.

56 minutes ago, jlhoots said:

I've watched & liked both seasons of Line Of Duty. I'll watch for season 3. Don't know why BBC America doesn't run these.

Well you learn something new every day...never knew there was a BBC America. Always assumed the Beeb sold to various networks. Looking on the website seems to show a lot of Star Trek! 

5 hours ago, paul secor said:

I've read a number of the books, so I know what's in store. Didn't make the connection with the song, though. Thanks, page.

It's the Ane Brun song, not the one of Anna Ternheim,
but this one:

No jazz of course, but it is moving at least it has me. I actually really like Anna Ternheim as a singer songwriter but the Ane Brun song did more to emotionally than the soundtrack Anna did. She has better songs than the soundtrack for Wallander. Anna Ternheim did some jazz, but I wasn't really impressed by it. I prefer to hear her sing her own music. Don't know much about Ane Brun's other music, checking some out right now.

16 hours ago, A Lark Ascending said:

That was a marvellous final. Man, series 2 was even better than series 1. A pity I've missed that one episode. I will definitely watch again when series 2 will be on the Dutch tv, which it probably will. I really thought the scene with the mom was really really good where she held her and the dialogue there. (don't want to spoil too much for people who still want to watch).

Edited by page

9 hours ago, page said:

That was a marvellous final. Man, series 2 was even better than series 1. A pity I've missed that one episode. I will definitely watch again when series 2 will be on the Dutch tv, which it probably will. I really thought the scene with the mom was really really good where she held her and the dialogue there. (don't want to spoil too much for people who still want to watch).

Sarah Lancashire came to fame via soaps. She then did a number of rather weepy type hard luck story series. I never paid any attention to her until 'Happy Valley'. Completely changed my view on her. Have you seen 'Last Tango in Halifax', also with Lancashire and written by Sally Wainwright (and set in a similar part of Yorkshire)? Unpromising premise - two retired people rekindle an old flame in late life (Lancashire plays a daughter). I ignored it until Happy Valley, then tried it and got gripped. More of a comedy than HV but has that same down-to-earth grittiness (I'm sounding like a spokesperson for the Yorkshire tourist board). Also has Nicola Walker in it in a wonderful role.  

51I-VetvwfL._SY300_QL70_.jpg

Enjoyed this last night. Hugely simplified from real life with some rather stock Eureka moments and sub-plots...and, I read on Wiki, takes huge liberties with historical fact (inevitable in telescoping complex events into a two hour film, although it seems the portrayal of Turing's eccentricities as Aspergers went over the line). But good entertainment. My mum worked at Bletchley Park in the war as a teleprinter operator so the story has special meaning. Trying to portray Knightley's character as a dowdy bluestocking was a complete failure!  

On March 16, 2016 at 6:19 AM, jlhoots said:

It's already on Netflix.  

8 hours ago, A Lark Ascending said:

51I-VetvwfL._SY300_QL70_.jpg

Enjoyed this last night. Hugely simplified from real life with some rather stock Eureka moments and sub-plots...and, I read on Wiki, takes huge liberties with historical fact (inevitable in telescoping complex events into a two hour film, although it seems the portrayal of Turing's eccentricities as Aspergers went over the line). But good entertainment. My mum worked at Bletchley Park in the war as a teleprinter operator so the story has special meaning. Trying to portray Knightley's character as a dowdy bluestocking was a complete failure!  

It was good, although it did feel like an incredibly calculated "prestige picture".  

I actually prefer the highly-fictionalized film "Enigma" from 2001, sure, it takes a lot of liberties with the story but I think it's a more successful film.  

3 hours ago, A Lark Ascending said:

I think you mean that she scores a succession of sixes (or even better, gives it one with the nipsy stick). Come on, get a grip! 

Baseball being the national sport in Japan I plead innocent m'lud.

BTW, I suppose you know that baseball was very popular in prewar Sheffield.

My granddad was a Sheffield Don's fan and used to take my mum when she was a little girl.

18 hours ago, Shawn said:

It's already on Netflix.  

It was good, although it did feel like an incredibly calculated "prestige picture".  

I actually prefer the highly-fictionalized film "Enigma" from 2001, sure, it takes a lot of liberties with the story but I think it's a more successful film.  

I agree. That was the brain child of Mick Jagger, right ?

9 hours ago, kinuta said:

Baseball being the national sport in Japan I plead innocent m'lud.

BTW, I suppose you know that baseball was very popular in prewar Sheffield.

My granddad was a Sheffield Don's fan and used to take my mum when she was a little girl.

Never knew that. I withdraw my complaint.

2118.jpg

Excellent. Did this for 'O' Level. Haven't touched it in 45 years. Amazed at how much I'd remembered of the language. 

On 17-3-2016 at 8:12 AM, A Lark Ascending said:

Sarah Lancashire came to fame via soaps. She then did a number of rather weepy type hard luck story series. I never paid any attention to her until 'Happy Valley'. Completely changed my view on her. Have you seen 'Last Tango in Halifax', also with Lancashire and written by Sally Wainwright (and set in a similar part of Yorkshire)? Unpromising premise - two retired people rekindle an old flame in late life (Lancashire plays a daughter). I ignored it until Happy Valley, then tried it and got gripped. More of a comedy than HV but has that same down-to-earth grittiness (I'm sounding like a spokesperson for the Yorkshire tourist board). Also has Nicola Walker in it in a wonderful role. 

No I haven't yet, thanks for the recommendation. She's a remarkable actress. I will pay attention to her. You will be pleased to hear I now am following "Unforgotten" with that other favourite actress of yours. :) I like what I've seen so far.

7 hours ago, page said:

No I haven't yet, thanks for the recommendation. She's a remarkable actress. I will pay attention to her. You will be pleased to hear I now am following "Unforgotten" with that other favourite actress of yours. :) I like what I've seen so far.

There's an article in the current Radio Times where a commentator says he doesn't remember a stronger time for TV drama. I'm inclined to agree (though my impression is distorted as I only watched the occasional thing during my working life). There were lots of superb shows across the years but they seem to be coming thick and fast now. Maybe there's been a realisation that man and woman cannot live by fly-on-the-wall documentaries and game shows alone. 

We've a tendency to idolise the past and the 'classic' and feel the best is behind us but I sense we're actually living in a bit of a golden age (I'd say the same about British folk music).  

51Aixt9jC4L._AC_UL320_SR204,320_.jpg

Or 'Spin' as it was retitled in the UK came to an end  on Friday after two series broadcast since New Year. Really enjoyed both series and I believe a third is in production.

I now need to catch up on the recent Icelandic series; and there's a new Danish political one just started plus a Swedish one called Blue Eyes starting next week. Great to see all these non-English language series appearing. They get dismissed by some as affectations for the sub-title loving middle classes but I just like the completely different scenery and political contexts from London, Oxford, New York or L.A. 

This afternoon: 

09364b_de2433be36914357b88e1a6c5761dd36.

Never seen this before. Fascinated by the Hermann soundtrack - oozes old Europe right down to the Wagnerian leitmotifs. There's even a bit of tremolo strings that sounds like a cousin of Verklarte Nacht. Intriguing story though it could never be made today, Kim Novak compliantly being manipulated by two men.    

Edited by A Lark Ascending