What Are You Watching

Brendan O'Carroll

Brendan O'Carroll: My Family at War

I don't know O'Carroll as a comedian though his Mrs Brown series is very successful. Here he explores The Easter Rising with a particular focus on his three uncles who took part. Really excellent programme - a subject I had an obsession with many years back. Summarises the causes, some of the key actions and consequences clearly and in an involving manner. Shot mainly in and around Dublin (with a quick trip to Wales where one post-Rising internment camp was). 

Most Brits only see Irish history in terms of British lads being shot 'over there.' This programme conveyed the Irish perspective well whilst retaining great sympathy for the English soldiers who lost their lives that week. 

• Replies 5.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Bosch - season 2 on Amazon Prime streaming.  

The second season featuring Michael Connelly's L.A. detective Harry "Hieronymus" Bosch took the promise of season 1 and delivered on it.  An excellent 10 episode series perfect for binge-watching.  Titus Welliver and Lance Reddick put in note-perfect performances and Jeri Ryan is an entertaining femme fatale this season.  

Highly recommended.  

BOSCH_102_02048%20(1).jpg?uuid=n8htPrExE

Finished off season two of Daredevil.

Dark and very violent but gripping from start to finish.

Better Call Saul.

I'll be honest and say I'm not at all impressed with season two. Slow and frankly boring with whole reams of dull filler.

I can see that they are looking for a long story arc but I think the pacing is dreadfuly ponderous. Just my opinion.

I can't get to see Daredevil until/if the seasons come out on disc. Darn. I really like this season of Better Call Saul so far, great stuff for me, I like the slow, deliberate story unfolding.

I thought this week's Elementary was pretty darned good and slightly funny (the hero dying in mortal combat with his nemesis falling down a waterfall mirroring Doyle's unsuccessful kill off of Sherlock, "I was bitten by a radioactive detective").

33 minutes ago, jazzbo said:

I can't get to see Daredevil until/if the seasons come out on disc. Darn. I really like this season of Better Call Saul so far, great stuff for me, I like the slow, deliberate story unfolding.

I thought this week's Elementary was pretty darned good and slightly funny (the hero dying in mortal combat with his nemesis falling down a waterfall mirroring Doyle's unsuccessful kill off of Sherlock, "I was bitten by a radioactive detective").

Elmentary's strength is it's consistency. It reminds me of The Good Wife in maintaining  a decent level of writing and plots.

The pairing of the two leads seemed implausible at first but they have grown into the roles and I think they compliment each other quite well.

Holme's eccentricities are nicely balanced by Watson's no nonsense common sense. ( Sounds like me and the missus!)

I much prefer it to the Cumberbatch version.

shetlandweb_2501659b.jpg

Shetland - Series 3 (BBC2)

Programmes 1 + 2. I really like this cop series - grim doings in a place where in reality haggis snatching is probably the major crime. The main character is, as one of his friends commented. 'a surly bugger'. The landscape and the dreadful weather deserve the TV equivalent to Oscars. Can't recall if they did this in series 1 or 2 but there were some great aerial shots, swooping in from the sea over Lerwick or along the cliffs. Helicopter or drone? Not sure.  

Watched the first part of 'Blue Eyes', a Swedish drama set against skullduggery in high places. Based on episode 1, passes the time but it's no 'The Bridge' or 'The Killing'. 

poster_hc.jpg

Henry IV (Part 1) - brilliant. Tom Hiddleston is suddenly everywhere (tipped as the next James Bond). 

The_Night_Manager_3545309b.jpg

The Night Manager - last episode (BBC1)

Thrilling conclusion to an excellent series. All ended well - the bad guys got taken down and the nice people survived.  

Good piece here on the programme:

http://www.theguardian.com/commentisfree/2016/mar/27/the-night-manager-britain-place-world-le-carre

(Health Warning: has a political second half) 

Edited by A Lark Ascending

3 hours ago, A Lark Ascending said:

The_Night_Manager_3545309b.jpg

The Night Manager - last episode (BBC1)

Thrilling conclusion to an excellent series. All ended well - the bad guys got taken down and the nice people survived.  

Good piece here on the programme:

http://www.theguardian.com/commentisfree/2016/mar/27/the-night-manager-britain-place-world-le-carre

(Health Warning: has a political second half) 

This starts here soon.

The Night Manager is well worth 6 hours of your time. 

I'm 3 episodes from the end of Season 6 of 'The Good Wife' so I still have 7 to look forward to. Thoroughly enjoyed all of the seasons even if the mergers, leavings etc happen a bit too thick and fast to be believable. Really like the key characters. 

I just watched (as part of my post-retirement 4.00 p.m. documentary slot):

tolJZnAY.jpg

Stonehenge: A Timewatch Guide (BBC4) 

I had quite a thing about prehistory in the late-70s and early 80s but that interest drifted to the margins except when visiting sites on holiday. So it was nice to reacquaint myself with all the Stonehenge theories - this programme ran over the theories of Stonehenge by changing schools of archaeology since the 50s as documented on various BBC programmes. On this occasion I won't complain about the presenter (Professor Alice Roberts).  

On 26-3-2016 at 8:34 AM, A Lark Ascending said:

'The A Word' BBC1

Touching first episode of a series about a dysfunctional family coming to terms with the young lad's diagnosis as being on the autistic spectrum. Set in the Lake District so spectacular scenery too.   

I've watched it too. Somehow I directly knew it was about this subject. Probably because I was a teacher before. I've had a few pupils suffering this and it can be tough to deal with for the child as well as his surroundings. It can be handled though, I'll probably keep watching this since it is a subject of my interest.

11 hours ago, jlhoots said:

I'm probably going to watch The Night Manager when it plays here in the US.

BTW, really going to miss The Good Wife. Good episode last night.

I've been watching TGW since it started and will miss it too. 

I'd rank it as one of the great tv serial dramas.