What Are You Watching

On 2016/4/20 at 2:57 AM, l p said:
On 2016/4/22 at 3:11 PM, A Lark Ascending said:

You can pick up most BBC/ITV radio and TV on BBC/ITV websites for a period after broadcast (usually 30 days for TV, 7 for radio) but I don't think you can get these beyond Britain. They want to be able to sell the content they've invested in worldwide understandably (in the BBC's case it is paid for by a license all TV owners have to buy so making it free to the world would cause problems...well, is causing problems as I believe there are illegal ways of getting access and I don't think the issue of people watching on computers rather than by TV sets has been resolved within Britain. The current government would love to sweep away the license fee completely (which every TV owner pays even if they never watch BBC) and open it up to the 'discipline' of the commercial free market). 

Last night an absolutely edge of seat penultimate episode of 'Line of Duty' - had that 'do I have to wait a week?' feeling at the end.

I've also got back in to watching 'Question Time' - it was always on too late when I was working. Now I'm wide awake for it. Find myself turning into my dad, screaming at the Tories and Britexiteers. Great fun!    

in the u.s., it's impossible to find european tv shows with subtitles, unless they've had a u.s. dvd release - which almost never happens.

Also watched Line Of Duty.  Nobody expects The Spanish Inquisition.

This weeks Scandal, seldom has a major show fallen so quickly into ludicrous, painful absurdity

• Replies 5.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

10 hours ago, page said:

'Follow the money' is really, really good, I can tell you. This 'Icelandic' one is that the one with Christopher Eccleston? I've really enjoyed his acting in "Black out" and other series. Now he's in "the A word" too. I think he's a fine actor.

Most of current crop of Brit things finish next week so I'll get round to 'Follow the Money' then. The 'Icelandic' one is called 'Trapped' - it's in Icelandic so I doubt if Eccleston is on board...though given his default acting role is miserable Northerner he'd be a shoe-in for most Scandi-dramas (don't think Iceland is in Scandinavia but it has links).  

I don't think I know "Trapped". I've looked it up, I meant "Fortitude" which takes place at the Artic. Eccleston played a small part in that one. You mentioned the boy in "the A-word" earlier and his good acting. I thought the same boy played in "Safe House" but I'm mistaken. (Both had name "Joe" in the series and sometimes they use the child's own first name to make it easy.) His name is "Max Vento". The boy in "Safe House" is also a Max but than with last name "True". He has done more acting (since 2012), while Max Vento just has started it seems here in "the A-word".

The Good Wife - Season 7

After being primarily annoyed by season 6 I didn't even bother to start this season when it began back in the fall.  But since all but the final episode has now aired I can binge-watch the season on the CBS streaming site.  Glad I waited, cause I don't do the week-by-week thing any longer, I want to watch entire seasons in a row on my schedule.  Happily the first 4 episodes have been very enjoyable and seem much more vibrant and alive than last year.  I'll of course hold final judgement until I finish the season, but so far it's got some of the old spark back. 

13 hours ago, kinuta said:

Finale of Scott & Bailey.

Adequately wrapped up but felt rushed and, for me, missing Gill.

Sad to hear this is the final outing for the girls.

Just watched that this afternoon. Agree with you - lots of plot lines (apart from the main one) left unresolved. Strange really - TV programmes are usually guilty of stretching out to fill six episodes. This one was over-compressed. Enjoyed it though.

Very moving ending to 'The A Word' on Tuesday. 'Line of Duty' ending due in a couple of hours. Issues of police corruption a little to close to reality at present.  

15 hours ago, kinuta said:

Losing Rachel, Janet and Alicia in the same week is a real pity. :(

http://primetime.unrealitytv.co.uk/wp-content/uploads/2012/03/itv-scott-bailey.jpg

The actress on the left looks familiar, I'm trying figure out where I've seen her before....

Thrilling end to 'Line of Duty'. The first hour was electrifying - and it was largely people sat round desks asking and answering questions. The final chase scene got a bit Bruce Willis - Kate dangling from the lorry was over the top - but overall very exciting TV. And they announced that there would be another series in the future. 

2 hours ago, A Lark Ascending said:

Thrilling end to 'Line of Duty'. The first hour was electrifying - and it was largely people sat round desks asking and answering questions. The final chase scene got a bit Bruce Willis - Kate dangling from the lorry was over the top - but overall very exciting TV. And they announced that there would be another series in the future. 

Indeed, that's how to end a series in real style. 

Genuinely nail biting suspense like that is all too rare on tv. That it was generated almost entirely by questions and answers says a lot about the level of writing, acting and production. One of the best season ends I've seen in a long time, with the montage coda placing the final cherry on the cake .

Edited by kinuta

50 minutes ago, kinuta said:

Indeed, that's how to end a series in real style. 

Genuinely nail biting suspense like that is all too rare on tv. That it was generated almost entirely by questions and answers says a lot about the level of writing, acting and production. One of the best season ends I've seen in a long time, with the montage coda placing the final cherry on the cake .

Loads of great performances but I particularly liked Craig Parkinson's 'Dot' Cotton. Utter confidence and fawning obedience in public, falling apart when out of sight. 

On 28-4-2016 at 6:18 AM, kinuta said:

Losing Rachel, Janet and Alicia in the same week is a real pity. :(

http://primetime.unrealitytv.co.uk/wp-content/uploads/2012/03/itv-scott-bailey.jpgAlicia-alicia-florrick-26099153-333-500.

Hope it will get here too. I can imagine you missing the "Godzilla" of the series like they called her, I think I will too. I also like her part on "Happy Valley", that was quite an opposite. Who's the other pretty lady named Alicia?

On 28-4-2016 at 7:15 PM, A Lark Ascending said:

Just watched that this afternoon. Agree with you - lots of plot lines (apart from the main one) left unresolved. Strange really - TV programmes are usually guilty of stretching out to fill six episodes. This one was over-compressed. Enjoyed it though.

Very moving ending to 'The A Word' on Tuesday. 'Line of Duty' ending due in a couple of hours. Issues of police corruption a little to close to reality at present.  

Lovely ending of "The A-word" indeed. Following a new series called "The Syndicate".

Looking forward to a documentary on Amy Winehouse that is planned for this week. Also, on the BBC, a program on Gareth's Invictus choir. I've seen something on him before where he was organizing a reunion of choirs he had worked with before, school choirs. I really enjoyed that at the time. Not sure this is a re-run or a new program, but I will try to catch it when I can.

Edited by page

That's Alicia Florrick, the central character in The Good Wife , which ends it's seven year run next week.

An excellent show that has maintained a high level of storytelling and has a roster of interesting characters, based mainly  around a Chicago  law firm.

Very much recommended, quality tv.

On 30-4-2016 at 10:44 PM, kinuta said:

That's Alicia Florrick, the central character in The Good Wife , which ends it's seven year run next week.

An excellent show that has maintained a high level of storytelling and has a roster of interesting characters, based mainly  around a Chicago  law firm.

Very much recommended, quality tv.

I don't think I know that series, thanks.

On 28-4-2016 at 7:15 PM, A Lark Ascending said:

Btw do you know who the performer is of the rendition of "Secret Heart" that was played during the end credits the last episode? Is that the original artist or a rendition?