Jazz Kat

What Are You Watching

4,740 posts in this topic

35 minutes ago, Soulstation1 said:

Ali V Frazier I on ESPN+
March 8, 1971

Madison Square Garden

New York City

Did you ever see when Ali and Frazier wrested on the floor when Cosell was interviewing them. Classic. 

Joe brought it to Ali in the first fight 

All up in Ali’s face 

Posted (edited)

Ali v Frazier II

January 28 1974

Madison Square Garden 

New York City

The trilogy needs to be on DVD / BR

Edited by Soulstation1

On 3/30/2020 at 7:28 PM, Dmitry said:

ZEROZEROZERO miniseries on Prime. Nice, well-made international drug smuggling thriller. USA-Western Africa-Calabria-Mexico. Recommend it. No "beautiful people".  Cinematography is very good. 

It impressed m so much, that I'm now watching GOMORRAH on Netflix. I'm on the Episode 2, so it's way to early to tell how the show turns for me, but so far it's feeling like like the Italian version of the Sopranos, with a lot more grit and bang.

A cousin on my mother's side in an executive producer of both series. I just started watching the amazon one.

Amazon Prime...Upload...loving the humor and sci-fi attitude...watched seven out of ten episodes already.

Posted (edited)

Having just finished a rereading of Robert Stone’s Dog Soldiers, and having spent a fair amount of time the past couple of days revisiting my longstanding interest in Kent State (today was the 50th anniversary), I decided to finally plunge into Ken Burns’ Vietnam documentary. Watched all of episode 1 tonight and its accompanying extras and was greatly impressed with how the Burns team handled the century-long historical prelude to America’s involvement, as well as their presentation of the Vietnamese/North Vietnamese perspective. The only odd element was the way in which they kept dropping teaser-like remembrances of American soldiers from the mid to late 1960s into the middle of early-20th-century Vietnamese history—completely out of place and jarring, as if they didn’t quite trust an American television audience to sit through an opening 90-minute introduction to the series without occasionally interrupting it with coming-soon, the-Americans clips. I wish they’d left those out, because the story of what happened from the late 1850s to the late 1950s is so important and vital to understanding what happened in the 15 years that followed, and the brief out-of-nowhere American interludes kept throwing off the narrative rhythm they were otherwise establishing. Other than that, a strong opening episode... I’m going to try to watch one every night after work for the next few days.  (Also started reading the first volume of the Library of America’s Reporting Vietnam set.)

EDIT: just did a search and came across a review of the first episode on the Process history blog that cites the same issue that I found problematic:

>>In many ways, The Vietnam War is two documentaries interwoven. One is a densely detailed and heavily narrated chronological history and the other is a series of oral histories about personal experiences of the war. Sometimes the two strands are intimately connected and enlarge our understanding of key moments; elsewhere, the personal accounts have little relationship to the historical issues under review.

Nowhere are these two approaches more disjointed than in Episode 1. Every few minutes we jump from black-and-white archival images and accounts of French rule or the creation of South Vietnam under Ngo Dinh Diem in the mid-1950s to color footage of the U.S. war in the late 1960s and recent interviews with American veterans. Given the episode title of “Déjà vu,” we might have expected the interviewees to specify the ways U.S. intervention recapitulated the failures of the French or to recount how many Vietnamese came to view Americans as little different from the French (neocolonialists rather than old-fashioned colonialists). Instead, the American veterans speak about their own wartime experiences and the loss of comrades. It’s as if the filmmakers worried that viewers might get bored with the earlier history so they repeatedly previewed the main attraction.<<

Edited by ghost of miles

Posted (edited)

29 minutes ago, ghost of miles said:

Having just finished a rereading of Robert Stone’s Dog Soldiers, and having spent a fair amount of time the past couple of days revisiting my longstanding interest in Kent State (today was the 50th anniversary), I decided to finally plunge into Ken Burns’ Vietnam documentary. Watched all of episode 1 tonight and its accompanying extras and was greatly impressed with how the Burns team handled the century-long historical prelude to America’s involvement, as well as their presentation of the Vietnamese/North Vietnamese perspective. The only odd element was the way in which they kept dropping teaser-like remembrances of American soldiers from the mid to late 1960s into the middle of early-20th-century Vietnamese history—completely out of place and jarring, as if they didn’t quite trust an American television audience to sit through an opening 90-minute introduction to the series without occasionally interrupting it with coming-soon, the-Americans clips. I wish they’d left those out, because the story of what happened from the late 1850s to the late 1950s is so important and vital to understanding what happened in the 15 years that followed, and the brief out-of-nowhere American interludes kept throwing off the narrative rhythm they were otherwise establishing. Other than that, a strong opening episode... I’m going to try to watch one every night after work for the next few days.  (Also started reading the first volume of the Library of America’s Reporting Vietnam set.)

EDIT: just did a search and came across a review of the first episode on the Process history blog that cites the same issue that I found problematic:

>>In many ways, The Vietnam War is two documentaries interwoven. One is a densely detailed and heavily narrated chronological history and the other is a series of oral histories about personal experiences of the war. Sometimes the two strands are intimately connected and enlarge our understanding of key moments; elsewhere, the personal accounts have little relationship to the historical issues under review.

Nowhere are these two approaches more disjointed than in Episode 1. Every few minutes we jump from black-and-white archival images and accounts of French rule or the creation of South Vietnam under Ngo Dinh Diem in the mid-1950s to color footage of the U.S. war in the late 1960s and recent interviews with American veterans. Given the episode title of “Déjà vu,” we might have expected the interviewees to specify the ways U.S. intervention recapitulated the failures of the French or to recount how many Vietnamese came to view Americans as little different from the French (neocolonialists rather than old-fashioned colonialists). Instead, the American veterans speak about their own wartime experiences and the loss of comrades. It’s as if the filmmakers worried that viewers might get bored with the earlier history so they repeatedly previewed the main attraction.<<

I watched it when it first came out and my recollection of the first episode was that it lacked enough Vietnamese history. Although the series made an attempt to use Vietnamese participants, it was an American-centric series as are most books you read about Nam. From the US perspective, the books I’d recommend are Tim O’Brien’s books. From the Vietnamese side, I’d recommend Viet Thanh Nguyen’s The Sympathizer; his account of Apocalypse Now is damning. The Times ran a great series three years ago, Vietnam 67.  It’s worth the time. It ran for about 15 months. I was sorry when it ended.  I was in high school and then college in the late 60s (did my share of demonstrations and was gassed once or twice) and the one good thing about the series — or bad thing, depending on your perspective — is that it brings you back; I felt I was reliving it again. Wasn’t a great feeling.  Can only imagine how the combatants felt. 

Edited by Brad

Trying - new Apple TV series

Brooklyn 99. Season 2. First time watching the series, and I'm enjoying it a lot. Here's a video mash-up of the dancing in the series.

Posted (edited)

"Hollywood" on Netflix.  I have some qualms about the show, but the music is great.  The score is old fashioned big band movie music a la Henry Mancini or even Elmer Bernstein.  But it's the needle drops that are really interesting: Coleman Hawkins, Johnny Otis, Johnny Hodges, Brick Fleagle, Rex Stewart, Joe Liggins and some even more esoteric selections.  I admit I don't always hear or recognize everything because they're often buried in the mix or only brief snippets but at times they carry the scenes and are played at length.   (All of this is less true of the very first episode where the music isn't that interesting and sometimes anachronistic--e.g. Catch a Falling Star in 1947?)

Edited by medjuck

Defending Jacob - Apple TV series

Bark Skins

On 5/5/2020 at 9:29 PM, Brad said:

I watched it when it first came out and my recollection of the first episode was that it lacked enough Vietnamese history. Although the series made an attempt to use Vietnamese participants, it was an American-centric series as are most books you read about Nam. From the US perspective, the books I’d recommend are Tim O’Brien’s books. From the Vietnamese side, I’d recommend Viet Thanh Nguyen’s The Sympathizer; his account of Apocalypse Now is damning. The Times ran a great series three years ago, Vietnam 67.  It’s worth the time. It ran for about 15 months. I was sorry when it ended.  I was in high school and then college in the late 60s (did my share of demonstrations and was gassed once or twice) and the one good thing about the series — or bad thing, depending on your perspective — is that it brings you back; I felt I was reliving it again. Wasn’t a great feeling.  Can only imagine how the combatants felt. 

Like you, I am a child of the 60's.  Living in Portland, Oregon, the anti-war movement was active, but nowhere near as organized as it was in other areas the country.  I went to college at Lewis & Clark, a small school in SW Portland,  The first anti-war demonstration on campus involved all of five people, two of which were professors and one who was my roommate.  By the time of the Cambodian incursion and its offshoot, Kent State,, a matter of a couple of years, the entire campus was knee deep in the movement.  The mini-police riot in downtown Portland, the Vortex Music Festival, a state sponsored rock show bought and paid for by the state oe draw people away from the American Legion's national convention in Portland, circulating petitions, burning draft cards, various and sundry marches.  Round up the usual suspects.

I watched every second of Burns' documentary.  A validation in every sense the term, that we were right and they were wrong.  When many first really realized that a government by and for the people was as easily as capable of lying, if not more so, as it was of telling the truth...and on the grandest of scales.   As we used to yell with our fists raised in the air, "Truth to power."   It's just unfortunate that Burns' documentary first aired more than 50 years after the fact. 

10 hours ago, Dave James said:

Like you, I am a child of the 60's.  Living in Portland, Oregon, the anti-war movement was active, but nowhere near as organized as it was in other areas the country.  I went to college at Lewis & Clark, a small school in SW Portland,  The first anti-war demonstration on campus involved all of five people, two of which were professors and one who was my roommate.  By the time of the Cambodian incursion and its offshoot, Kent State,, a matter of a couple of years, the entire campus was knee deep in the movement.  The mini-police riot in downtown Portland, the Vortex Music Festival, a state sponsored rock show bought and paid for by the state oe draw people away from the American Legion's national convention in Portland, circulating petitions, burning draft cards, various and sundry marches.  Round up the usual suspects.

I watched every second of Burns' documentary.  A validation in every sense the term, that we were right and they were wrong.  When many first really realized that a government by and for the people was as easily as capable of lying, if not more so, as it was of telling the truth...and on the grandest of scales.   As we used to yell with our fists raised in the air, "Truth to power."   It's just unfortunate that Burns' documentary first aired more than 50 years after the fact. 

We were definitely right. The cost to Vietnam and the US was incalculable. The naive belief that we all had that the Government doesn’t lie to us was ripped to shreds. By the way, Spike Lee has made a movie about four Black veterans returning to Vietnam that looks it will be good. It airs on Netflix on June 12. 

I don’t know if this goes here or the Film Corner but I was just browsing HBO Max, the new streaming service, and they have a special section from TCM. There are some fantastic films in there, especially foreign films, lots of them.

In addition, they have a section that has all the films from Studio Ghibli, the Japanese animation maker. This is the first time their films have been available digitally. You might recognize My Friend Totoro. In the middle to late 90s when my son was a toddler, we watched it countless times. I can’t wait to see it again. 

As if on demand, here’s an article in Rolling Stone that just came out, 50 Classic Movies to Watch on HBO Max

Tonight I have Bill Evans ‘Time Remembered’, the RRK documentary and the Milford Graves bio lined up as part of my cheapo Amazon Prime trial week.

Good value. :g

The Barbara Stanwyck Show. Nice half-hour dramas, nothing earth shaking, but it's always enjoyable to watch Stanwyck in anything.

Barbara Stanwyck Show, The | Nostalgia Central

Hard to believe that Benny died almost 46 years ago. I have insomnia, and I need to listen to the Jack Benny Show or Fibber McGee and Molly radio shows to fall asleep, so it's like he's still alive for me. JBS is fantastic, as well as FMAM, so happy there's all those recordings still available.

43 minutes ago, Matthew said:

Hard to believe that Benny died almost 46 years ago. I have insomnia, and I need to listen to the Jack Benny Show or Fibber McGee and Molly radio shows to fall asleep, so it's like he's still alive for me. JBS is fantastic, as well as FMAM, so happy there's all those recordings still available.

I absolutely LOVE the Jack Benny Show!  It was such a well written show and had a talented ensemble cast that could easily rival that of Friends or Seinfeld.   The show did not focus much on topical humor (unlike, say the shows of Bob Hope or Fred Allen), so a lot of the comedy still works and has not overly suffered with age.  What delights me is how much of the program's humor came at Jack Benny's expense -- making fun of his age, his vanity, his stinginess, his movie career (and really, The Horn Blows At Midnight is not that bad a movie).  Jack Benny was not even a comedian in the traditional sense.  He did not come on and tell jokes on his show like Hope or Berle did.  I mean, the funniest thing Jack Benny ever said on air was, "I'm thinking it over!" and that was only funny because of the years and years the writers spent building up the miserliness aspect of his character, so that when in response to a mugger's demand for "Your money or your life!", JB takes a loooooong pause and then says those 4 not funny at all words, he got the biggest laugh from the live audience the show ever had.  That is expertly crafted comedy!

I remember watching that CBS tribute program when it first aired.  Jack Benny's was only the second celebrity death that genuinely saddened me.  Louis Armstrong's was the first.

Posted (edited)

1 hour ago, duaneiac said:

I absolutely LOVE the Jack Benny Show!  It was such a well written show and had a talented ensemble cast that could easily rival that of Friends or Seinfeld.   The show did not focus much on topical humor (unlike, say the shows of Bob Hope or Fred Allen), so a lot of the comedy still works and has not overly suffered with age.  What delights me is how much of the program's humor came at Jack Benny's expense -- making fun of his age, his vanity, his stinginess, his movie career (and really, The Horn Blows At Midnight is not that bad a movie).  Jack Benny was not even a comedian in the traditional sense.  He did not come on and tell jokes on his show like Hope or Berle did.  I mean, the funniest thing Jack Benny ever said on air was, "I'm thinking it over!" and that was only funny because of the years and years the writers spent building up the miserliness aspect of his character, so that when in response to a mugger's demand for "Your money or your life!", JB takes a loooooong pause and then says those 4 not funny at all words, he got the biggest laugh from the live audience the show ever had.  That is expertly crafted comedy!

I remember watching that CBS tribute program when it first aired.  Jack Benny's was only the second celebrity death that genuinely saddened me.  Louis Armstrong's was the first.

I've gotten to where I love radio and movies, the whole entertainment forms from the 1930s & 1940s (basically, the whole inter-war era), a very interesting era, and it is an entertainment world long gone and not too remembered. Recently, I was trying to explain to someone in their early thirties about how HUGE Bob Hope and Bing Crosby were, how, when either one was introduced on one of these old radio shows, the crowd went absolutely nuts because they were so popular. The guy had barely heard on them. Same thing with a lot of my friends, they refuse to even think of watching any black and white movie -- that's too old timey for them. I feel that I'm in a whole other land when I tell people people I'm into old films, old time radio, books, and love jazz. Whenever I say things like that, I get that uncomprehending look, along with the whole "OK Boomer" vibe.

Edited by Matthew

Last 2 episodes of Bark Skins tonight.

Will there be a season 2?

Had a lovely evening with Mrs. Duckworth and Nina Simone.

On 6/15/2020 at 1:40 PM, jlhoots said:

Last 2 episodes of Bark Skins tonight.

Will there be a season 2?

Apparently no.

The rather strange reboot of Perry Mason.