What Are You Watching

• Replies 5.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Remember 'Whatever Happened To Our Dream Of Freedom' from a few years back - brilliant and alarming.

BBC is currently screening 'All Watched Over By Machines...' which I've recorded but not yet seen.

Will have to look out for those other two.

I'm now on Series 2 of 'Spiral'. Funny how, even though I've seen series 3 and know the main characters survive, you can still get tense when they are in trouble.

Remember 'Whatever Happened To Our Dream Of Freedom' from a few years back - brilliant and alarming.

BBC is currently screening 'All Watched Over By Machines...' which I've recorded but not yet seen.

Will have to look out for those other two.

I'm now on Series 2 of 'Spiral'. Funny how, even though I've seen series 3 and know the main characters survive, you can still get tense when they are in trouble.

Bev

The series I'm watching, The Trap, is What Happened to Our Dream Of Freedom. It has a long title and a shorter one for some reason.

I really enjoyed the first part of the new series and am looking forward to this week's episode

Edited by kinuta

The series I'm watching, The Trap, is What Happened to Our Dream Of Freedom. It has a long title and a shorter one for some reason.

I don't recall it having that name when originally aired here - could be my defective memory. Or was it added to give it a snappier title?

Am I right in recalling that this had a section looking at how target driven cultures end up with employees distorting everything to hit the target with examples from the NHS and the police? Boy does that ring home in the education field!

Edited by A Lark Ascending

I don't recall it having that name when originally aired here - could be my defective memory. Or was it added to give it a snappier title?

Am I right in recalling that this had a section looking at how target driven cultures end up with employees distorting everything to hit the target with examples from the NHS and the police? Boy does that ring home in the education field!

The Trap is part of the title sequence. The point you make is mentioned in the first episode. I think his arguments are sometimes thin and don't hold up to careful scrutiny but his originality is refreshing and thought provoking.

All Watched Over by Machines of Loving Grace Part 2 BBC

Headspinning. There was enough information packed into pt 2 to start several threads . Another viewing mandatory, and a third maybe.

It's extraordinary that the BBC can come up with programmes like this.

All Watched Over by Machines of Loving Grace Part 1. Very impressive. I'd never heard of Ayn Rand.

The Joy of Easy Listening - a BBC4 documentary that reminds you of how music history gets written about with just as much airbrushing as Soviet history used to. My mental map of the 60s and 70s is dominated by the rock narrative. But watching this I was reminded of just how prevalent this all was at the time. As someone on the programme said, this was how it sounded in Worcester rather than Soho.

Edited by A Lark Ascending

51JF42E6JVL._SL500_AA300_.jpg

Genghis Blues - I know that some of you know this amazing film about the California R & B musician Paul Pena, who discovered Tuvan throat singing via the shortwave radio, taught himself the Tuvan style and repertoire, and eventually traveled to Tuva (between Mongolia and Russia), where he entered and won the Tuvan singing contest. A scene of Paul singing and playing the blues "Long Black Train" for a group of Tuvans is very moving, and the footage of his first appearance in the competition is stunning. Even as he approaches the stage, Pena is a nervous wreck, and has little idea what he is going to sing. He ends up singing a couple of traditional Tuvan songs, improvising a song in Tuvan and singing/playing a throatsinging blues. The crowd just went nuts. This is a beautiful film.